Our ice

Thread starter #1
Anybody else noticed the state of our ice?

The markings and spinners are worn away, the I've looks in really bad shape.

Are there plans the sort this before the weekend?

drainage

rikardo1uk said:
Anybody else noticed the state of our ice?

The markings and spinners are worn away, the I've looks in really bad shape.

Are there plans the sort this before the weekend?
Doesn't get sorted until after kids go back to school can't lose income from skating in holidays ..would imagine it's due a re paint in next few weeks

I've practiced for the Redhawks on that ice and I can tell you there's so many chips and grooves in it that really affect puck control+skating. I was in the Stingrays game on Saturday and you could see it from the stands! Agreeing with whats been said, hope it gets fixed.

Nrm

The ice is always bad this time of year in the BBT. With the constant use of public sessions, plus the higher temperatures turns the ice to water because the freezer system cant handle it properly, always nice after a fresh paint in september.

I don't really understand the ice painting business despite looking into it a few times. Am I right in thinking you still paint onto a low layer of ice and then further layers freeze on top of it? If so it messes with my head how the paint stays on there so long with the Zamboni constantly going over it!! If anyone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it!!

dave

shoes_off said:
I don't really understand the ice painting business despite looking into it a few times. Am I right in thinking you still paint onto a low layer of ice and then further layers freeze on top of it? If so it messes with my head how the paint stays on there so long with the Zamboni constantly going over it!! If anyone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it!!
Staff. Flood the ice most nights and when Zamboni goes over it also puts down water etc so simply put the ice level should be maintained..

Sand with high water content is frozen by sub surface piping containing bribe solution (glycol or similar).
Water is flooded over the reasonably level sand and then spray painted (white) with water based paint which also freezes (two -four coats)
This is flood again and frozen repeatedly to build a buffer over the white paint.
Lines, goal crease, face off dots and hash marks painted by brush using coloured wool as edge guides, these are sprayed lightly by hand (think garden weed killer bottle). Once sealed well enough to not be disturbed by flood water the pad is flooded a couple more times and frozen.
Next logos are painted (often free hand but guided by an image projected from a tower above). Spray these in same way as line markings then begin flooding repeatedly to obtain a significant depth to whole pad.

Nrm

shoes_off said:
http://youtu.be/7hT3yfuLPIU