O'Connor extends with Steelers

Temme

Disappointing to say the least, bad for British hockey.

Probably the only Brit player with a realistic shot of making it big in Europe or the states and he chooses to stick it out in the UK.

Delighted Steelers fans no doubt, but he's a better player than this league.

ASHIPP

Odd bearing in mind his negative views about this league. Steelers get a good player for 3 years, improve their Brit situation and spend loads of money. Everybody up there happy.

Devil_Abroad

I did say Steelers would sign him but was shot down because of the money he could command elsewhere

Money isn't everything and both his play against us up in Sheffield and his interview after pointed to this

Excellent signing for Steelers and the League - and no doubt for him as he penned 3 years!

Ocko

Thread starter #10
steeler lass said:
Sometimes its not about just money. He's playing for his boyhood club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. Whilst it may not be a big league or a big club in wider hockey terms Ben probably grew up wanting to only play for one team.

Rempel16

steeler lass said:
Sometimes its not about just money. He's playing for his boyhood club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. So he shouldn't spout off about more Brits needing to be ambitious and playing in better leagues to improve the GB squad.

Got no problem with him staying close to family etc, but his words just a few months ago show exactly what a hypocrite he is in signing back here.

KaneDevils

He advised Brits to play abroad to enhance their game and gain experience to become better players. He's spent a year in France and 3 in kazakhstan.

I wouldn't call him a hypocrite because he's decided to come home now. Or does he have to stay abroad for ever?

Rempel16

Well seeing as he advised them just 3 months ago stating that he's going to stay away as long as he can.... All of a sudden he's back on a '3 year contract'.
That's hyprocritical imo.

Have Hope#35

Rempel16 said:
Well seeing as he advised them just 3 months ago stating that he's going to stay away as long as he can.... All of a sudden he's back on a '3 year contract'.
That's hyprocritical imo.
Call him what you want... He plays for the Steelers, I can think of worse things to call him! :lol:

KaneDevils

Think your being somewhat harsh. As I say, he's been in Kazakhstan 3 years, which would of been a huge culture shock.Maybe he was offered a deal to good to turn down, with the incentive of being back with his loved ones.
I think his comment regarding Brits playing in different countries is a very strong one, and hard to disagree with.