Observations

Thread starter #1
A lot of will shoot me down for this post.I made the trip sown to the rink on sat against the blaze yes it was my first game this season due to work constraints,but i wanted to see what all the fuss was about this team id heard it was the best people had seen,how awesome they were.Im sorry to say i came back dissapointed the d were all over the place for the blaze goals,yes weller is a class apart but to me it dosnt add up why hes here.It was the same old powerplay we have never just put the puck on net always that one extra pass instead of letting one go.Yes we won the game and yes i will be back again this season.But remember this is just my opinion.
One more thing at the start of the game they did a video of the last 25 years i might be being a little picky here but it said at the start 1986 lawless shoots the board the clip looks to me to be around 88/89 season anyone else spot this.

Finny

What a cheerful chap you are.

Have you read the game thread? Everyone agreed that wasn't our best performance. It was just one game unless you are suggesting we've all been lying about how good we've been.

Lawless shot the clock in 1986. The video is from the early 90's but that doesn't change the fact he shot the clock from 1986 onwards.

not gonna flame you as such but just to give my opinion on powerplays, if all you do is get the puck to the d to shoot without moving the puck around and therefore defensive players its hard for there to be a clear lane for the defender to shoot and even if there is we dont always have a guy in front of the net so the keeper can see the shot most keepers nowadays wont let a goal in from the blueline with an unobstructed view. Just shooting and shooting and shooting negates the fact that you have an extra guy to pass to giving the chance to get 2on1 situtions all over the offensive zone which when you get near the crease means goal time!

wildthing74

Surely you saw how dangerous a side like Blaze can be on a sh breakaway by the Carlson 1 on 1?We just shoot randomly on a PP we'd be puting orselves potentially in trouble of that happening on a regular basis.
I think many posters said what and excellent defensive display Blaze put it.
I don't think you win 22 games including Panthers away twice amd in Sheffield and Belfast without being a good side.

TheStub

Puck movement was slow on Saturday on the PP, but I thought that more due to the aggressive PK the Blaze were employing. It was a tight box, they challenged the point and took the lanes away.

PP is about possession as much as anything. Get good possession and cycle the puck quickly to find the open shot. You shoot and you loose possession and have to set it all up again. So, when on the PP pass the puck. ;)

The other thing I noticed was how much we were trying to make Jeager move laterally. He seem to get to everything shot from the hash marks, do we were trying to get down low and make him move the width of the crease.

Thread starter #7
i agree that puck posession is vital but i just thought there were times we made that one pass to many,I am one for putting the guy infront of the nm always seen the benfits from doing it.But everyone has there preferences.They have to be a good team to keep a un like that going so long that goes without saying.One player who impressed me with his wheels was mcrae.Must have been a one off roll on the next game

Was hoping this thread was going to be about something else and didn’t want to start a thread about it so I’ll just add on here seeing as it’s “observations”. Firstly, I just want to say I’m delighted we had a 2000+ crowd for the Blaze game and I hope we sell out every home game. However, the publicity and therefore newbie fans does seem to come at a price. I had a group of girls sat behind me who didn’t stop talking all the way through the game (obviously not hockey related otherwise I wouldn’t mind so much), and taking the mick out of the Devils fans chants and clearly only interested in the after match skate.

There was also an elderly couple who I think requested to be moved as their seats were near the drummers which is fair enough but possibly this should be pointed out to people who buy tickets for blocks 8-9 as me and the misses always seem to have newbies sitting by us complaining about the noise. Anyway, in order for someone with the elderly couple to sort out new seats, it involved him walking past several times whilst the game was in play which I know annoys a lot of fans. I don’t want the DJ / announcer to be saying every 2 minutes, please can people not walk around when the game is in play, but I think it needs to be said more often and maybe some repeat offenders should be told.

Anyway – rant over, and as even though it’d be annoying if this happened all the time, I’d rather have a sell out crowd than low attendances.