Number 1 Already.....

Thread starter #1
....for media coverage in UK ice hockey?

Whilst I haven't got any statistical evidence I would think we already have the biggest media presence in UK hockey! And this is all in a very short space of time!

- Live broadcasts of every home game on BBC Radio Wales online
- Extended match highlights (and occassionally full game footage) on ITV Wales' website
- Full page match previews and reviews in the South Wales Echo plus almost daily coverage
- Coverage in the Western Mail which although has a small readership is read by most of the key business and political leaders in Wales
- Regular adverts in the South Wales Echo and Metro newspapers.
- The most supported facebook group in the league
- Regular interviews and advertising on key radio stations including occassional National coverage on BBC radio Wales

In addition we have;

- Perhaps the most high-profile group of partners in the league with coverage in their literature etc
- the Community Foundation, which along with the Vipers foundation are the only registered charities in the league
- An already impressive celebrity contact list that I'm sure will only continue to expand
- Comprehensive advertising through leafleting, bluetooth, Lucy-Fur,
- On-line ticketing

Not bad for a few months!

Please feel free to add anything I've missed!

Thread starter #3
El Supremo said:
The major thing that is missing is regular tv coverage on the Welsh news (both BBC and ITV).
I remember wannabe saying on here that they need the master copy of the footage, so the club usually make the choice to send it to Sky because it's guaranteed to get air time. (please correct me if I'm wrong) That's something I forgot....we have game highlights on Sky every week as well!

Of course we would all like to see more coverage of hockey on the national evening news programmes, but I think we're doing pretty well. We're far less popular compared to the football and rugby so it's unlikely we'll get anything comparable to the coverage they get.

Ps - El I'm pre-empting you.....please don't turn this into an anti-rugby thread :mrgreen:

Absolutely all positive things you have listed..... can only be good to raise the profile of Hockey.

It was mentioned on day time radio 2 the other day that Ice Hockey is the UKs largest indoor spectator sport.

My only concern is that we seem to be giving so much live and extended coverage away to the possible detriment to ticket sales. It has already been mentioned by some that they cannot be bothered to go midweek sometimes!

The marketing of the Team and of Hockey here in Cardiff has been fantastic, massive, massive difference in thinking from the previous couple of years and is definitely on a par with the best of Pro sport throughout the UK.

I actually live in Wales but cannot receive Welsh terrestrial TV news, but can only assume Rugby and bluebirds get all the glory! - bit odd watching riots in bristol @ teatime! :lol:

Koop11

Amen to this thread. It’s been an inconsistent start on the ice so far this year but everything else happening with the club puts us right up there with the best. When you think Matt and his team have only officially been in charge since end of May, the transformation this club has seen is incredible. Can you imagine the kind of outfit we will be in 3 years?

Devils fans will pick holes and always find something to moan about. I guess we’re a victim of our own success. However, the Next Generation are really pushing for the long term stability and success for this club. Exciting stuff all round.

Foxy

Don't think its a case of fans picking holes and moaning for the sake of it.

At the end of the day though its the on ice performance that is important to most fans and especialy the fair weather fans who are the ones we are trying to attract on a more regular basis. Team wins, numbers go up. Team keeps losing and all the hard work off the ice becomes worthless. You have to look for the complete package.

Edited to add. This is not a post knocking the management who i think have done wonders off the ice.

Finny

How difficult is it to copy the original match tape and send it to the BBC/HTV as if it was the original though?

I would have thought that exposure on local sports news would help raise the profile more than on the Sky Sports show?
How does it work with football then when HTV Wales and Sky Sports News often show goal highlights from an evening game that night/following morning?

Other than though though - everything else is excellent.