Nottingham Conspiracy Theories

OJLloyd

Thread starter #1
First post, long time reader.

In an attempt to entertain myself on the bus back from Nottingham I went to read their forum.

It’s been regularly the most fun I can find in work since.

Anyway, to the point - there is a delightful thread on the Panther’s Lair today about how the league is ‘entertainment’ instead of sport, and that Nottingham are purposefully not as good as they can be to make sure the league is competitive.

It’s pretty libellous if you ask me, but apparently the question is whether or not the Panthers hold back from being the all conquering team they should be so we don’t all stop watching. Anyone agree?

pjj365

Had an interesting evening with my wife reading me extracts from the Lair - some sad stuff on there BUT thought I'd see what Steeltalk was saying.

Can't read Steeltalk as a guest so well done Panthers fans for allowing guests - think, from memory, the Inferno allows this too

ASHIPP

The presumptions in that chat thread on the Cage are verging on outrageous and desperate - not one person backing up their wild comments with facts or statistics.

Grasping at straws - this is the latest thing they are pointing the finger at for their team's recent poor performance.

The real 'elephant in the room' in that debate is staring them in the face. It's got nothing to do with budget or poor recruitment. A team with the same decent players that was so very strong at the start of the season and in the CHL competition doesn't become a bad team. Inconsistent performance thereafter surely is going to be something to do with confidence/motivation/personalities/systems of play?

How do they explain why Fife and Guildford are doing so well - smaller fanbases, smaller income, smaller budget?

Last edited:
Really heart breaking reading some if the posts on Panthers Lair forum thought we were bad!!!! Really sad tonight after reading through them remembering my earlier years as a Storm fan - yes I know what you're thinking but I saw the light after moving to Cardiff - but Panthers were always the team we chose to support if we weren't in the playoffs sad to see what's happening now and how they are losing long term ST holdets due to the ethos of the club

kettdevil1

Wow, thanks OJLloyd for directing me to this thread...... it’s The Cage at its absolute worst (or best if you are looking from outside).... I am consistently amazed how (some) fans:
- know the budgets of every other team in the league.
- expect their team to win everything as it’s their right
- when they don’t it is a conspiracy
- rewrite history.

Year after year Nottingham come into the season loaded. Year after year they fall apart at Christmas before picking up and winning the cup/playoffs/Both ..... that doesn’t sound like a conspiracy, it sounds like either a cultural issue or a training/fitness/coaching issue. Think what the change in ownership did to the Devils, overnight every old habit was swept away and new habits put in place, that is what is needed in Nottingham, a radical change.

I actually like Coach Corey and suspect that he will go on to better things but..... sometimes radical changes are needed to alter deep cultural patterns so I wonder if it is time for him to look elsewhere.

interestingly, the only year they won the league in the modern era was the only year they were written off by the majority of people, they were viewed as lightweight and even the coach suggested they needed ‘bedding in’ fir a while. These comments seemed to flick a switch, whether it was a desire to show people they were wrong or whether it lifted the pressure I am not sure but it worked.

What was noticeable in that season was that there was no sense of entitlement from their fans, winning the league almost came as a surprise and I wonder if that back to basics approach is needed again.

Gazza272

I think the issue with Nottingham has often been that lack of Locker room leader that has the experience needed to steady a ship. The year they won the league they had Ling and Bennedict.

I look at thier team this year, where is their Layne Ulmer? a dependable, solid locker room leader who can back up the primary scorers?

They are vital to the cause.

kettdevil1

I think the issue with Nottingham has often been that lack of Locker room leader that has the experience needed to steady a ship. The year they won the league they had Ling and Bennedict.

I look at thier team this year, where is their Layne Ulmer? a dependable, solid locker room leader who can back up the primary scorers?

They are vital to the cause.
The lack of leadership is an interesting point and I wouldn’t disagree although Derlago, Brown, Sauve and Gagnon have all had A’s or C’s on their chest before coming to Nottingham so really should be leading this team. In addition David Clarke is one of the most vocal players I know and should be i there sorting things out. I just feel as though there is a deeper malaise.

Secondary scoring is definitely a problem, and I wonder if that was the reason for Corey’s decision to switch the lines about after the CHL?