Nomads Vs Devils - Conti Cup Final - 12th Jan 24 - FO 20:00

Kevin roog

If conceding an early goal means Russell is a bad coach, was he a good coach when we scored early goals against Manchester last week?
Or within a minute against Sheffield In the previous game?

In fact, we’ve scored the first goal in the previous 6 games. Starting games well hasn’t been the issue.
I went to Sheffield home and away over Xmas, I stand corrected, sorry, his coaching was brilliant, and Guildford home and away aswell, in fact I said to the mrs” I can’t believe scotty bowman is coaching us”

Rempel16

What yesterdays game told me, in respect of Arniel (who I think has been decent to now) and Alderson (who has been a bit meh, but brought it last night) is that they are clearly not buying into the league being the important trophy in this country. They both turned in performances as though it was the playoffs…

I want their effort / intensity every week (penalty aside).

moggy#9

What yesterdays game told me, in respect of Arniel (who I think has been decent to now) and Alderson (who has been a bit meh, but brought it last night) is that they are clearly not buying into the league being the important trophy in this country. They both turned in performances as though it was the playoffs…

I want their effort / intensity every week (penalty aside).[/QUOTE]

And to me, this is where the leadership thing comes in. The leaders should be reinforcing that message. Unfortunately the leadership group is next to useless.

Rempel16

I want their effort / intensity every week (penalty aside).
And to me, this is where the leadership thing comes in. The leaders should be reinforcing that message. Unfortunately the leadership group is next to useless.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. You’ve been saying it for weeks, and you’re right. It’s time to try the letters on others.

Soaked up pressure, good netminding and clinical finishing. When the Devils do that away from home and take the points, we'd all agree that we'd played the perfect road game. I think we should be giving Astana a little more credit instead of blaming bad luck and the hockey gods! They’ve beaten us twice this year, in France and now on our home ice. That doesn’t sound like a fluke to me.
Aye, fluke would be a disservice to Nomad, like you say they soaked up the pressure well. But I'm also in camp of the Devils had the best of the game most of the time.

There were enough 50/50 chances that if even one had gone the other way suddenly we'd be in a different game and not have to chase the deficit the entire night.

For my money after a poor first couple of minutes, it was possibly their best performance of the season.

I'm more worried about the GKS game having seen them yesterday. The looked big, physical and not particularly slow. I hope we have a plan to counter that.

kettdevil1

Soaked up pressure, good netminding and clinical finishing. When the Devils do that away from home and take the points, we'd all agree that we'd played the perfect road game. I think we should be giving Astana a little more credit instead of blaming bad luck and the hockey gods! They’ve beaten us twice this year, in France and now on our home ice. That doesn’t sound like a fluke to me.
Yep, sums it up for me. Nomad went into the final four as the favourites and we saw exactly why last night. Their passing was phenomenal, so few passes went astray and they were lethal when given a chance.

Although frustrated by the result I really enjoyed the game, the pace was phenomenal and seeing Nomad play was like watching Guildford speeded up. Just such a good hockey team.

I thought the standard of the evening game was significantly better than the afternoon one so hopefully we can beat Katowice and Herning can somehow solve Nomad

OJLloyd

Unfortunately, we are reaping the rewards of recruiting a completely imbalanced team and a lack of quality where it matters.

We were spoiled by players with NHL, DEL, KHL etc experience who were winners.

The gamble on players being able to play up, rather than playing down, has failed.

We don’t score enough and we concede too many. And it’s why I didn’t even bother getting a ticket, because I knew we’d finish a valiant second.

Better things to do with my time when the players also apparently have the same.

moggy#9

Unfortunately, we are reaping the rewards of recruiting a completely imbalanced team and a lack of quality where it matters.

We were spoiled by players with NHL, DEL, KHL etc experience who were winners.

The gamble on players being able to play up, rather than playing down, has failed.

We don’t score enough and we concede too many. And it’s why I didn’t even bother getting a ticket, because I knew we’d finish a valiant second.

Better things to do with my time when the players also apparently have the same.
Recruitment is an interesting one. Personally feel that recruiting exclusively north American players is a mistake. It leads to a too homogeneous dressing room. We should look to add some Europeans so that we have a better mix of culture and skills.

moggy#9

Stating the obvious, Nomad’s performance so far does rather put our performance into perspective
Herning, I suspect, would have been a very different prospect with carruth in goal. A few of their goals conceded over their two games so far have been netminding mistakes. They've also struggled to produce the type of pressure that the devils did in spells last night.

None of this changed my opinion that the devils could have done better last night.

kettdevil1

Herning, I suspect, would have been a very different prospect with carruth in goal. A few of their goals conceded over their two games so far have been netminding mistakes. They've also struggled to produce the type of pressure that the devils did in spells last night.

None of this changed my opinion that the devils could have done better last night.
Agree about Carruth although I still don’t think they would be anywhere near Nomad.

It would be interesting to hear what you think about the first Nomad game in Grenoble if you saw it as I said exactly the same thing after that one. Watching them a second time last night I actually thought they were superb at what they do and although we had lots of possession, they were deserved winners

moggy#9

Agree about Carruth although I still don’t think they would be anywhere near Nomad.

It would be interesting to hear what you think about the first Nomad game in Grenoble if you saw it as I said exactly the same thing after that one. Watching them a second time last night I actually thought they were superb at what they do and although we had lots of possession, they were deserved winners
I agree. They'd still be winning, but it'd be closer.

I did see the first nomad game, but I struggle to recall it in detail now. My impression iirc is of a very good team who could be knocked off their stride if you play against them in the right way. That's not to say that they're beatable, just that we've made it easier for them than we needed to on both occasions.

If I'm honest they have some players who is live to sign if it weren't for the fact that they're obviously destined for bigger things.