NHL Game in Cardiff

Lp 1

Thread starter #1
I have heard speculation that there is a potential NHL game being played in Cardiff in the near future.

Does anyone know if this is true or if there is any other news on a NHL game being played in the UK

unless it was a NHL hockey stars for hope game i cant really see the NHL playing a game in Cardiff when they can go to the 02 Dome or back to Belfast

Lp 1 said:
I have heard speculation that there is a potential NHL game being played in Cardiff in the near future.

Does anyone know if this is true or if there is any other news on a NHL game being played in the UK
I have also heard this..apparently it is going to be in the Millenium Stadium.

I think our previous owner mentioned that this would be a dream situation but didn't think they were being serious - is this a wind up have people actually heard it could happen. Would be amazing

I really couldn't see this happening. Far too many cities in Europe that the NHL would go to before Cardiff...

And the NHL have not exactly rushed back to London...

Lp 1

Thread starter #7
Its something about Cardiff being linked with being an International Sport spot, including things like the Millennium Stadium, International Swimming Pool etc...

dave

2014 International city of sport... I beleive it has resurfaced after Shannons recent visit and something that he is still active in turning into a reality.

fried egg

The biggest plus for the Millenium Stadium is that it has a roof if needed.A winter classic type setting would be fantastic but could be spoiled by rain in pretty much any other City in Europe.Would be great for the sport in this country and I think it would be self funding.If you could get four NHL teams involed over two days I think you would have Hockey fans from all over Europe interested.

This would be amazing if it came off; plus people would travel from all over Europe for it, and the Devils would benefit from the buzz. American football sells Wembley well, and that's like watching rugby league with a child with ADHD pausing the action all the time.

Thing is, I just can't see it. The market doesn't seem to be there in the UK. If everyone who came to all games across all leagues here turned up, you wouldn't get even half the Millennium full. Plus you'd have extra seating on the pitch.

I would love some exhibition games against European teams though; we'd be murdered but wouldn't you love to see the Devils play Eisbaeren Berlin? Better than pre-season warm-ups against teams you're about to play 6 times over the course of the league season.

I know the Millennium Stadium made a big play to get a second proposed annual NFL UK game but that didn't pan out. I'd be hugely surprised if an NHL game came to the UK (I know they came in 2007 to London) let alone Cardiff, especially with the potential lock out this year making it logistically difficult. You never know in future though I guess.

Foxy

WelshHabsFan said:
This would be amazing if it came off; plus people would travel from all over Europe for it, and the Devils would benefit from the buzz. American football sells Wembley well, and that's like watching rugby league with a child with ADHD pausing the action all the time.

Thing is, I just can't see it. The market doesn't seem to be there in the UK. If everyone who came to all games across all leagues here turned up, you wouldn't get even half the Millennium full. Plus you'd have extra seating on the pitch.

I would love some exhibition games against European teams though; we'd be murdered but wouldn't you love to see the Devils play Eisbaeren Berlin? Better than pre-season warm-ups against teams you're about to play 6 times over the course of the league season.
It wouldnt be just the uk fan base though. When the game was held at the O2 id say there were more European and Americans there than brits. It would sell easily.

Koop11

Pretty pie in the sky if you ask me. Dare I say, would you even get close to filling the Millennium stadium for a game of ice hockey.

dave

Koop11 said:
Pretty pie in the sky if you ask me. Dare I say, would you even get close to filling the Millennium stadium for a game of ice hockey.
Do not forget that the Millennium stadium can be converted using their black drops and even then is still the largest indoor venue in Europe....The council have had grief for messing up the NFL bid which they were hoping to get for the year of sport so it could be a face saver for them.