Next years team.

Ocko

ASHIPP said:
Ocko said:
ASHIPP said:
Massive loss when Matthew went. Think the club probably realise that.

I don't see Matthew leaving the Panthers especially after they have won something. And Ben looks settled at the Clan. Think they would both expect to be playing on lines of similar Rhe quality as their current clubs.
Matthew is playing on the fourth line at Nottingham.

We didn't approach Ben last year and offered Myers a fraction of his previous deal.
The fourth line in Nottingham is Lawrence-Farmer-Jansen

Matthew, it was rumoured, was offered 10th forward position at Devils last season which would have meant limited ice time. At Panthers he plays every game. As does Ben at the Clan.

Does anyone honestly and realistically believe either of those good players will return to the Devils?
Matthew is on the fourth with Janssen and Farmer and has been for a few weeks. Lawrence moved up to third.

Slartibartfast

I sorted out teams stats based on points per game. Whats interesting is the guys getting the least stick are at the bottom of the table. I guess its about expectations.
The format is a bit skewy but the points per game is the last but one stat

RKI NAME TEAM POS GP G A PTS +/- PIM PPG SHG PT/G PIMPG
1 JOEY MARTIN CAR C 63 31 53 84 0 38 12 3 1.33 0.6
7 ANDREW HOTHAM CAR D 63 16 52 68 0 142 7 0 1.08 2.25
108 * RYAN RUSSELL CAR LW 21 5 17 22 0 8 1 0 1.05 0.38
21 JAKE MORISSETTE CAR RW 64 24 33 57 0 6 6 2 0.89 0.09
23 GUILLAUME DOUCET CAR RW 64 35 20 55 0 67 12 0 0.86 1.05
36 ANDREW LORD CAR RW 64 11 40 51 0 21 3 1 0.8 0.33
57 LEIGH SALTERS CAR LW 53 19 23 42 0 86 6 1 0.79 1.62
41 TOMAS KURKA CAR LW 62 23 25 48 0 26 4 1 0.77 0.42
56 JOEY HADDAD CAR LW 62 16 27 43 0 95 2 1 0.69 1.53
147 BRENT WALTON CAR RW 17 4 7 11 0 11 2 0 0.65 0.65
68 CARL HUDSON CAR D 63 11 26 37 0 42 7 0 0.59 0.67
72 ZACH HERVATO CAR C 62 12 23 35 0 76 1 0 0.56 1.23
113 CHRIS CULLIGAN CAR C 42 6 14 20 0 22 1 0 0.48 0.52
162 * GLEASON FOURNIER CAR D 17 2 6 8 0 8 1 0 0.47 0.47
115 MARK RICHARDSON CAR D 64 4 16 20 0 16 0 0 0.31 0.25
159 TYSON MARSH CAR D 33 2 7 9 0 72 0 1 0.27 2.18
143 JOSH BATCH CAR D 64 3 9 12 0 76 0 0 0.19 1.19
151 TREVOR HENDRIKX CAR D 56 2 8 10 0 205 0 0 0.18 3.66
193 LUKE PIGGOTT CAR RW 64 2 0 2 0 8 0 0 0.03 0.13
198 CHRIS JONES CAR C 64 0 2 2 0 14 0 0 0.03 0.22
208 BEN BOWNS CAR G 62 0 1 1 0 4 0 0 0.02 0.06

if we don't bring in at least 2 british forwards so we can play 4 line hockey I can only see us fading badly again next season too and ending the season with nothing.extra imports are not as good as having brits who can play every game and doesn't mess the team up as you don't need to swap and change the lines every game.id like us to have a proper bench coach next season too preferably lord.

backrow

Instead of "least stick" I'd consider power play time as the biggest contributing factor to the players' point totals. Also, I really wish the EIHL kept track of and posted the plus / minus totals because hockey is a two way game.

A good illustration of this is Chris Culligan who I think only got to play on the PP in 5 or 6 games this year, by far the least of all the import forwards, and who probably played almost a third of his games on defence. Like many others, I don't think he got to play on a set line for a real extended period of games even though I really liked the Haddad, Culligan & Lord line while it was together.

ASHIPP

Even less likelihood of Matthew Myers wanting to return here....he's just won the Playoffs with Panthers...a trophy to go alongside the Challenge Cup in Nottingham's cabinet. Not bad for a team who were plagued with so many injuries before Christmas and written off by many.

Congratulations to them.

Samael

devils1990 said:
if we don't bring in at least 2 british forwards so we can play 4 line hockey I can only see us fading badly again next season too and ending the season with nothing.extra imports are not as good as having brits who can play every game and doesn't mess the team up as you don't need to swap and change the lines every game.id like us to have a proper bench coach next season too preferably lord.

I'd be really surprised if Lord hangs up his skates given his age - he's still got years left in him, not to mention the fact he's one of the few dependable players we have right now. Sadly I can count on one hand (and have spare) who those players are. All the people saying Lord will/should become a full time coach are bonkers, it won't happen and even if it did it would hurt the team more next season if most of this years roster return.

I hope Joey Martin, Ben Bowns and Ryan Russell return next year, and that's it. TK, Lord and Finny have a busy summer ahead of them and I imagine their job of courting "winners" to put in Devils Jerseys won't be as easy as it was for them last year.

fridaysfingers

Slartibartfast said:
I sorted out teams stats based on points per game. Whats interesting is the guys getting the least stick are at the bottom of the table. I guess its about expectations.
The format is a bit skewy but the points per game is the last but one stat

RKI NAME TEAM POS GP G A PTS +/- PIM PPG SHG PT/G PIMPG
1 JOEY MARTIN CAR C 63 31 53 84 0 38 12 3 1.33 0.6
7 ANDREW HOTHAM CAR D 63 16 52 68 0 142 7 0 1.08 2.25
108 * RYAN RUSSELL CAR LW 21 5 17 22 0 8 1 0 1.05 0.38
21 JAKE MORISSETTE CAR RW 64 24 33 57 0 6 6 2 0.89 0.09
23 GUILLAUME DOUCET CAR RW 64 35 20 55 0 67 12 0 0.86 1.05
36 ANDREW LORD CAR RW 64 11 40 51 0 21 3 1 0.8 0.33
57 LEIGH SALTERS CAR LW 53 19 23 42 0 86 6 1 0.79 1.62
41 TOMAS KURKA CAR LW 62 23 25 48 0 26 4 1 0.77 0.42
56 JOEY HADDAD CAR LW 62 16 27 43 0 95 2 1 0.69 1.53
147 BRENT WALTON CAR RW 17 4 7 11 0 11 2 0 0.65 0.65
68 CARL HUDSON CAR D 63 11 26 37 0 42 7 0 0.59 0.67
72 ZACH HERVATO CAR C 62 12 23 35 0 76 1 0 0.56 1.23
113 CHRIS CULLIGAN CAR C 42 6 14 20 0 22 1 0 0.48 0.52
162 * GLEASON FOURNIER CAR D 17 2 6 8 0 8 1 0 0.47 0.47
115 MARK RICHARDSON CAR D 64 4 16 20 0 16 0 0 0.31 0.25
159 TYSON MARSH CAR D 33 2 7 9 0 72 0 1 0.27 2.18
143 JOSH BATCH CAR D 64 3 9 12 0 76 0 0 0.19 1.19
151 TREVOR HENDRIKX CAR D 56 2 8 10 0 205 0 0 0.18 3.66
193 LUKE PIGGOTT CAR RW 64 2 0 2 0 8 0 0 0.03 0.13
198 CHRIS JONES CAR C 64 0 2 2 0 14 0 0 0.03 0.22
208 BEN BOWNS CAR G 62 0 1 1 0 4 0 0 0.02 0.

could you possibly get a coloumn for the 'Joey Martin' factor? players that had spells on his line will have boosted numbers compared to certain others that didnt!!!

jimmy snels

The people saying must be lord as bench coach: why? What exactly makes you believe he's so indispensable as coach? Im not having a pop here, i own 2 Lord jerseys and the first year as player he was a proper power forward putting up decent points and physical performances. Absolute leader on the ice. I feel though his own style has changed and has reflected on his team though. Hotham has reduced his feisty side that made him outstanding both ends of the rink as a prime example.
Lord is also a new coach. Tactically we arguably got found out this tail end of the season and it appeared there was no plan B to counteract this. In his first year mychan was benched for suggesting this fact in a poor performance in Scotland im led to believe. Thats not a good manager of men if you can not take criticism may i add if true, all he'll get is agreement from everyone and people not willing to speak out for the good of the team.
We've also changed tactics at the back end of both ends of seasons when in a strong position and got a poor outcome. Trick me once shame on you, trick me twice shame on me.
The first year lord was in charge was arguably more pleasurable to watch at times as well. A few more characters, much feistier and appeared more in it for each other. I've seen our small players bashed around all night with no response at times this year.

Basically i think we've underachieved and im unsure if its lords problem or the players letting him down or both. I prepare for my backlash :lol:

Milky

jimmy snels said:
In his first year mychan was benched for suggesting this fact in a poor performance in Scotland im led to believe. Thats not a good manager of men if you can not take criticism may i add if true, all he'll get is agreement from everyone and people not willing to speak out for the good of the team.
'I'm led to believe'........ :DWD you know this how? Seems like a baseless comment to justify your point.

Do you honestly believe that? And that Todd would allow it?

Mooney#16

Before you look at player changes they have to look at tactical changes and decide what players fit. With the import rise and hopefully signing Bownsy as a priority four line hockey is a must. The Devils activated the D early and late in the year and in was awful. D plays D first and creates offence with distribution not constant puck rushes and pinching. The fatigued to quick in games and got turned over way to much due to crap zonal pick ups covering the gaps.

The forwards whilst all great players failed to generate enough offensive zone puck pressure and turnovers leading to a lot of time spent in the other two zones of the ice. And don't get me started on the transition. Why give the puck to a forward going lateral as he reaches the opposition blue line. Give it to him when he has a chance to get his head up and work out his zone entry. It was nearly always the centre taking that pass locking up the winger from the puck pursuit so meaning the off side winger had to chase across the whole zone just to forecheck. I'm not knocking Lordo's coaching as I don't know if it was his tactics or crap execution by the players.

I think it's obvious Devils need overhaul purely because they know next year will be all big ice but i really didn't get on with the tactics this year especially the rushing D. Hotham, Hudson especially have taken stick but I think they were playing to orders and pressing bad situations sometimes as well so it's not all perhaps fully justified.

Like I said I hope the debrief is very frank and honest.

jimmy snels said:
The people saying must be lord as bench coach: why? What exactly makes you believe he's so indispensable as coach? Im not having a pop here, i own 2 Lord jerseys and the first year as player he was a proper power forward putting up decent points and physical performances. Absolute leader on the ice. I feel though his own style has changed and has reflected on his team though. Hotham has reduced his feisty side that made him outstanding both ends of the rink as a prime example.
Lord is also a new coach. Tactically we arguably got found out this tail end of the season and it appeared there was no plan B to counteract this. In his first year mychan was benched for suggesting this fact in a poor performance in Scotland im led to believe. Thats not a good manager of men if you can not take criticism may i add if true, all he'll get is agreement from everyone and people not willing to speak out for the good of the team.
We've also changed tactics at the back end of both ends of seasons when in a strong position and got a poor outcome. Trick me once shame on you, trick me twice shame on me.
The first year lord was in charge was arguably more pleasurable to watch at times as well. A few more characters, much feistier and appeared more in it for each other. I've seen our small players bashed around all night with no response at times this year.

Basically i think we've underachieved and im unsure if its lords problem or the players letting him down or both. I prepare for my backlash :lol:

I agree with quite a bit of this. The team has certainly not been as physical this year although I think they started the season coming out hard every game and really showing their intent. You don't need a team of fighters but you need players to finish checks and protect each other. This season has definitely seen a decline in physicality compared to last in my opinion.
For me, you cannot underestimate the impact of losing Marsh for so long. I really think this disrupted the team and coupled with all the player rotation and uncertainness of moving to IAW, I think this was a major factor on us not winning the league. I'm not saying it's wrong to have spare imports but I feel for this particular team with all the changes, it lost its 'team-ness'.
I do think we need to look at a full time coach too. I cannot fault Lord's commitment and passion and for me he epitomises what it is to be a Devil. However, any player coach is at a disadvantage and with the budget we now have, I really think this is an option to be explored. The quality of players is improving with the amount of NHL experience and I think it is essential to have a coach who can quickly change the game when it's needed. This is an area where I feel we have lacked especially towards the end of the season.

jimmy snels

Milky said:
jimmy snels said:
In his first year mychan was benched for suggesting this fact in a poor performance in Scotland im led to believe. Thats not a good manager of men if you can not take criticism may i add if true, all he'll get is agreement from everyone and people not willing to speak out for the good of the team.
'I'm led to believe'........ :DWD you know this how? Seems like a baseless comment to justify your point.

Do you honestly believe that? And that Todd would allow it?
A number of people have discussed this around me previously. They seemed pretty convinced. Hence led to believe. I simply don't know! I couldn't tell you if it happened i wasn't there. But we have seen players sit in bizarre circumstances this season as well so I'm unsure either way.

jimmy snels

To be honest that was a bit of a rant i tried to edit but had been replied to already :oops: i actually didn't post yesterday on purpose as i was fuming but still managed to get out of hand :lol:
Either way i think going forward we cant keep doing the same thing or we will keep getting the same result. I hope this addressed.
Im going to shut up for a week now to gain some objectivity! :cry:

Agree with a lot of what has been said in thread.

For me Id be looking to keep Bowns, Richie, Hendo, Martin, Doucette, Fournier, Haddad, Hervato.

Salters - By far the biggest disappointment for me this season. When he signed i was really excited to watch him play. I quickly learned he wasn't quite as advertised. One of the laziest players i've watched play. Could be fantastic but simply doesn't have the mindset for it. He was awful all season & doesn't deserve to wear the Devils jersey.

Lord - The guy wears his heart on his sleeve and gives 110%. He talks a great game but I've lost any confidence i had in him. So many questionable decisions he's made this season. He's been a great leader on the ice but thats not a coaches role, That's the Captains job.
I agree he should go to the bench if he wishes to continue coaching & has A LOT to learn in the off season. If he's to continue as coach i'd hope our owners can get him on a coaching course as we've been out coached on many occasions this season!
On ice he's scored some big goals for us but he's always putting himself on the top lines where to be honest, to me he's often the weak link! He never plays with CJ & Piggott. Never benches himself. His stats are solid but I cant help but feel they're slightly manufactured.
For me, if he continues to play, he's not a top line player. If he continues to coach, he needs to get in the classroom this summer!

Hendo for me is one of the few guys who's a proper Devils player. His stats aren't great but they aren't meant to be. That's not his role & he does exactly as advertised game in, game out. Why he's been benched so much baffles me.

While the off ice situation is the best it's ever been, On ice this season has been dire.
I said it at the start of the season & i'll say it again at the end.
The most boring season of hockey i've ever watched.

It's probably still too soon for me to give a considered view on which of the players should be re-signed for next season stop. That was such an awful performance against Coventry that my gut reaction is probably very different to my considered one.

Still, here's my two pence worth;

Definitely -

Bowns - no explanation needed here. He is probably the most valuable player in the league as a British netminder who can hold his own against any of the imports.

Richardson - for me, the best and most consistent defenceman on our team. Not only that, but is arguably the best British defenceman in the league as well. Here is a must have for me.

Batch - ever-improving, hard as nails and British. A definite for me.

Martin - no explanation needed here really. The top points scorer in the league, the best playmaker in the league, and a player who works hard every night and epitomises what the devils are all about.

Fournier - with the opportunity to play a full season on the big ice, I think Fournier will prove to be one of the best defencemen in the league. He has the offensive capabilities of Hudson and Hotham, but I think he makes fewer errors than either.

Hendrikx - his first pass is superb, he hits hard and sticks up for him team. I'd make him captain and line him with someone quick and offensively minded.

Doucet - hard-working, skilful goalscorer who, like Martin, plays with the Devils mentality. Good in the clutch too, so I'd keep him on that basis.

Probably / Maybe -

Hervato - I like his energy, and his determination. I think I'd keep him on that basis, but I could see an argument for a bigger, tougher version.

Haddad - he hits, scores and holds the puck up well. I like him as a power forward, but might be tempted to test the market for a Szwez player who brings similar skills and toughness as well.

Russell - has scored a point of game, but I was surprised when I read that. Because I was surprised, I wonder if perhaps he's not offering as much as I thought he would. Hard one to call really, but I think I'd keep him.

Mo - solid player, and we do need points to come from somewhere. I'd be tempted to keep him, but only if the price is right. He's not a first line player in my opinion.

Probably not -

Salters - I desperately wanted him to succeed, and he will probably go somewhere else and dominate when 100% fit. He never seemed to be settled in Cardiff, and perhaps that was a factor. If we can sign a McGrattan or Bissonnette standard player, the decision to release him probably becomes easier.

Kurka - I might get challenged on this one, but I never felt that he made a huge difference this year. When we were losing, he wasn't the one that I was looking to. On the basis that he's probably very expensive, I wonder if we can do better? That said, if he can settle on a line, his pace will be valuable on the big ice.

Hudson / Hotham - I'd keep one of them - undecided as to which. They need a solid, no-nonsense partner and they need to understand their role. We have enough points in the forwards - protect their zone first and foremost.

Culligan - unless they find a specific role for him, he might not be the best fit. That said, he's versatile and might have a place in the team with the rise in import levels.

Overall, I think most of the team could stake a claim for place next season. Without clear lines, and better tactics, I don't think it will matter who the Devils put out on the ice.

Tad-cu

Agree with most of what Tommy Devil says, BUT ....
We have to keep Culligan. A quality young player at both ends of the ice. Definitely one for the future.

Speaking of one for the future, anybody got any ideas about Callum Buglass?

Ibbz9

I would be surprised to see wholesale changes. Regardless of what people think, the team were 1 win from the league title, 1 goal from the CC Title and lost a one off game to an "underdog". The Devils made plenty of Play-off weekends as "underdogs" in the past.

The loss of form was no more of a deciding factor than two losses in Edinburgh early in the season.

There is such a fine margin. I am sure there will be changes as there always is. I think it will be minor tweaks as opposed to major surgery.

Going forward, regardless of the playing staff, fans need to realise that the game in the IAW will be far different to games at the BBT and WNIR. Games will be far less action-packed. Hitting and physical play will be much reduced. Obviously there will be games where this will not be the case, but overall it will be a far different spectacle. If hits were recorded, you can be sure that games at Cardiff, Coventry and Manchester had the most this season.

This is nothing to do with playing staff but the size and space of the ice. Take the NHL and guys like Chara/Ovechkin/Kronwall. Physical players yet on their International teams, nowhere as near. Kronwall is a beast stepping in from the blueline yet for Sweden the hits are not there. Opposing wingers have more space and time. He also cannot afford the risk of getting beat as it is far harder to chase back and defend a 2v1 on Olympic ice as it is on 56x26 ice.

ASHIPP

It would be a massive knee-jerk reaction by the club to make sweeping changes to a team that was so consistent bar the slump in the last 3 weeks. Despite some poor performances, our team was right in the mix of all competitions to the final stages.

Hopefully the recruiting will be to bring in experienced players with a winning mentality and a small handful of players will leave either because they have not performed well overall....or because they want to take up opportunities elsewhere.

Hopefully the club will move very quickly to secure our 3 outstanding British players and, of course, Joey Martin plus other players who have been consistent. A successful team needs a stable core to build upon.

Amongst any new recruits hopefully there will be huge experience, winning mentality, and a potential captain.