Next years expectations- top 6 teams

Temme

Thread starter #1
Here's a little run down of what i'm expecting... (it's my opinion only, please don't shoot me for it!)

Coventry Blaze- top line looks to be a line to be reckoned with, however it's just the one line that scares me from them, given one Faulkner-like injury to either Henrich and their primary scoring will be shot totally, I remain somewhat reserved with regards to the quality of their netminder, seems very average to me on paper, however that's not a great deal to go by, signing tait was a big statement, a brit with proven quality, however then going and signing Tanaka clear indicated their budget was treading a thin line and that they have possibly overspent. Expect some entertaining games when the Blaze are in town this season.

Prediction: 5th

Player to watch: Michael Henrich - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=2082 you don't get drafted #13 overall for nothing!

Nottingham Panthers- down as near favourites given the quality they've recruited across the board. With the retaining of Kwall in net and the acquisition of a handful of top players, including Wren, Loyns, Ryan and Salters, it's difficult to see a real weakness in the team. I had Nottingham down as clear favourites early on, creating a team seemingly stronger than last years, however given Sheffield's signings i think they may just pip them at the post. Nottingham have

Prediction: 2nd *Play-off champions*

Player to watch: Bob Wren - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11576 Probably the pick of their NHL'ers.

Sheffield Steelers- Appeared to stay fairly quiet early on, however with the acquisition of the likes of Baldwin, Kohn and Langlais they have certainly added strength to their defense, and all 3 being around 26/27 years old they're just coming into their prime. Also noteworthy is the acquisition of once Cardiff bound Frank Doyle, he looks on paper like he could be the best netminder in the league the coming season, (that was until the Devils signed laCosta). This, combined with strong forward signings and Dowd and Nell being added to their British contingent means i certainly expect Sheffield to win the league and conference, and who knows what else. Anything less than this and they've underachieved this season in my eyes.

Prediction: 1st + Challenge cup Champions

Player to watch: Stefan Meyer - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=14086 Expect 35+ goals this year.

Belfast Giants - A little unsure of what to make of the Belfast team this year, they've certainly made some good signings and been able to utilize being the only top team with a British goalie well. They've successfully kept Keefe and Lloyd, two of the leagues best agitators, and added long term team mates in the DEL Elfring and Whitecotton. Evan Cheverie makes a reacquaintance with the Giants, expecting him to post up similar points to Saurette, at around 25-30 goals a piece. However, given the boost of being able to sign an extra import outfield skater, i feel Chris Higgins is a weak addition on paper, and is a little unproven at any level.

Prediction: 6th (Shock!)

Player to watch: Evan Cheverie http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=12477 Certainly expect this fella to turn up to every game like he used to.

Cardiff Devils -The Devils line up with a near identical Brit-pack this year, and appear to be making a statement of going back to Devils style hockey, using well the smaller rink they possess. Keeping Faulkner and long time established line-mate Blight shows the top line won't be short of scoring this year, and with the addition of Plumton, Ross, Lord and Conboy these certainly won't be a team being bullied on a regular occasion. Big things are expected of this Devils team, being the first team in the Elite league to set out with 4-line hockey in mind, and the acquisition of Mr. LaCosta, on-paper the best netminder in the league just in the peak of his career.

Prediction: 3rd

Player to Watch: Daniel LaCosta http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11559 There will be no better goalie than this guy this season.

Braehead Clan - Where to start with the Clan this year, Mr Finnerty has certainly recruited well this off season. Arena teams take note. They certainly won't be short of scoring this year with quality pick-ups such as Mcgrane, Lust and Moon and keeping Ash Goldie on the roster. The clan have recruited a very young team on paper, however i feel this will prove to their advantage. Losing Galbraith and Krestanovich appears to be the best thing they could have done. I fully expected these to win the easier Northern conference. I'm still slightly uncertain about their netminder, great stats in 10-11 in a team that finished 2nd in the league, however appears to have struggled a little since in a more braehead-style mid-table team.

prediction: 4th *Don't be too shocked if these guys win the league, i'm seeing a team here with 200+ goals and an easier conference to compete in than the other top teams*

Player to Watch: Ed McGrane - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=12058 Expect an easy 30 goals from an experienced campaigner.

I may or may not get around to reviewing the other teams activity, can't find time at the minute!
What do you guys think? how do you see the league order finishing? :)

Koop11

Interesting views. I certainly have Sheffield as favourites with Nottingham a close second. I think 3rd, 4th and 5th is a battle between Cardiff, Breahead and Belfast (probably in that order). I think Coventry will be the team fighting to stay top half of the league this season.

Tad#

Nottingham Panthers look to me like they've jumped back to the old Corey mold. Great offense and little defence. I think only 3 import D is risky.

I'm not sure about Coventry. Some parts look strong others on a budget. I'm not expecting to win anything, but can't see why we couldn't be in the top half of the table.

Cardiff Devils look strong. Easily the strongest from the teams usually around them. The question is though, can Adams finally get over that line and get them to win something or will they just buckle under pressure. If things go well and no big injury concerns, I can see Devils in the top half easily. I can also see them winning at least one trophy.

I have no real view on Sheffield/Belfast. Both look good on paper, but new coaching and events possible off the ice for Belfast could come into play.

BostonBart22

my thoughts on positions would be, 1st sheffield, 2nd devils, 3rd nottingham, 4th clan, 5th coventry, 6th belfast. challenge cup clan, playoffs devils .

Temme

Thread starter #5
BostonBart22 said:
my thoughts on positions would be, 1st sheffield, 2nd devils, 3rd nottingham, 4th clan, 5th coventry, 6th belfast. challenge cup clan, playoffs devils .
After signing Szwez i'd have to shift Belfast up certainly past Coventry, however where they finish above there is anyone's guess.

It's gonna be a very entertaining season this year, i'm suspecting the best yet. Lots of physicality and a higher standard of player recruited all around. Irrespective of where we finish i'll be glad to see some hockey!

1. Steelers (if they do not win the league then DC will be gone)

2. Panthers

3. Giants

4. Clan

5. Devils

6. Blaze

Challenge Cup - Steelers

Playoff Final - Steelers 1 - Devils 7

ASHIPP

A lot of opinion around the league that Devils are the dark horses this year.

I would hope that if they can lock down a majority of home games and pick up points on the road they could be top 3 finish in the league.
G will want to put right the disappointments of the other competitions last season. Bearing in mind the Devils' previous consistency I can see us in semis of Challenge Cup and again in playoff final....but with a difference this year
;) :D

League Champions: Panthers or Steelers

Conference winners: Steelers, Clan

Challenge Cup finalists: Panthers, Giants

Playoff finalists: Panthers, Devils

ASHIPP

Giants' fans should be v happy right now. So many of us got predictions wrong .....but there are 3 competitions and half a season to go yet.

Ocko

Most people aren't that wrong really. With the exception of us having a early season meltdown there isnt a great deal that isn't expected in the league so far. The only surprise, if you can call it that is how poor us and the Steelers have been.

We had just a terrible start to the season that we are still trying and only just starting to recover from and Christianson has been found to be not a good a coach as everyone thought he was when he hasn't got the endless pot of money he had in Belfast, although he still has more than most. With the changes and additions that have been made to our team, IMO we are stronger now than the start of the season and I expect us to work our way through the conference, whilst we have no hope of winning it I think we will be fairly strong come the play offs and in the the Challenge Cup.