Next seasons league format and playoff structre

Thread starter #1
The press release

Elite League press release

SATURDAY 6TH MARCH 2010

NEW FORMAT REVEALED FOR 2010/11 ELITE LEAGUE SEASON

An exciting new format for the 2010/11 Elite League season has been revealed with changes to both the league and play-offs.
The Braehead Clan have just been announced as the latest side to enter the Elite League, and they will join Belfast Giants, Cardiff Devils, Coventry Blaze, Edinburgh Capitals, Hull Stingrays, Newcastle Vipers, Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers in a nine-team league.
Each side will play three home and three away against the other teams in the league for a 48-game season. The Elite League campaign will begin on the weekend of 4th/5th September 2010 and end on 12th/13th March 2011.

The top six teams will qualify for the 2010/11 play-offs and will face each other in the round robin format. This will see the sides finishing first, second and third having the incentive of playing three home games and two away, with teams in fourth, fifth and six playing two homes games and three away. Matches will take place between the 14th and 27th March.
The top four will meet in the traditional play-off finals weekend on 2nd and 3rd April 2011, with the two semi-finals on the Saturday and the play-off final taking place on the Sunday.

Elite League chairman, Eamon Convery, said: “We are very excited by the new format for the 2010/11 season. The addition of Braehead is great for the sport and I am sure supporters will be thrilled with the changes we’ve made.
“Play-offs are always one of the most important and exciting times in the season and this new longer format is sure to excite every hockey fan. There’s now added emphasis on the league season with nine teams battling it out for six spots and then jostling for position in the top three, to claim that all important extra home game.”

A further press release will be issued in due course with regards to the 20-20 HockeyFest and the Challenge Cup.

Got to say this is a great improvement on this year and the league positions will be a lot more important. Also this confirms that there will be no teams dropping out of the league

wildthing74

Sounds good.Like the old days of the play offs when we had 6 games home and away against 3 other teams.More exciting when there were more games in a group format.

Scott

Sounds pretty good. It'll make the league a bit more meaningful for those not challenging for the title.

Also it'll add a bit more value to the playoffs, the current 4 match tournament is kinda poor in my opinion and it just seems as though it's there because it's always been (does that make sense?). I'd say League > Playoffs by a long, long, long way at the moment. I still would like more from the playoffs, but heck, I suppose it's a few more matches, and against the top 6 only - so it's a step in the right direction.

wildthing74 said:
Sounds good.Like the old days of the play offs when we had 6 games home and away against 3 other teams.More exciting when there were more games in a group format.
Couldn't agree more mate, thats why i think the playoffs have been de-valued somewhat since they started the one home one away scenario, never been a fan.

DevilDom

A much better format and will hopefully make the end of the league season a lot more exciting rather than the pretty meaningless end we have this year.

Maybe elitte towers are finally starting to realise they can't just keep bleeding fans dry by cramming in as many games as possible, however repetitive and somewhat dull they become.