New to Devils Inferno - Boo NHL Lockout

Thread starter #1
Hi Everyone, after following this site for a few seasons I've finally decided to register. I've been a fan of the Devils since 2008 when my wife took me to a game. She was a big fan back in the 90's and had a season ticket for a couple of seasons and even went on a few road trips! but after years of me nagging, she finally took me to a game and have loved it since,(and have even been to see an NHL game in Chicago) although sadly I can't get to many games, roughly 3/4 a season at moment as we live in Bristol and can really only make the Saturday games at present.
Although I will try to keep my chats about devil related stuff, I can't help kick of my first post without moaning about the lockout out in the NHL at present. I just can't think of the premiership ever having a lockout, the media would kick off, the players would be ripped apart in the press, and Sky just wouldn't allow it, it just wouldn't happen.
If I was a player the thought of losing out of a season of playing top level hockey would be a nightmare, remember a career can end in a game!
I know there are some big meetings this comming week between the parties involved and I hope it gets resolved so the season can start, but it does look bad on both players and owners and is a real kick in the teeth for the fan, especially in areas where hockey is huge (Canada/Boston/Chicago/Detroit etc).

kettdevil1

All true, it is a complete mess but there are still chinks of light.

The big decision will be over what to do about the Winter Classic, that is a huge money spinner and also promotes the league beyond the normal audience. If that goes then so will the season.

The encouraging thing is that both sides know that if this happens the league is going to be seriously damaged, At the moment with the Giants and Tigers slugging it out nobody is noticing there is no hockey... when the Giants sweep Detroit people will start noticing and that is when the real talking begins.

kettdevil1

It is looking more and more as though it is curtains for 2012/13... desperate for everybody involved but perhaps the loss of the season is the only way of slapping sense into all concerned.

And I suppose that I can also continue to claim the the Flames are at .500 for this season as well....

kettdevil1

OK, it has come down to this. The last chance saloon is open for business and the final plans are being put forward.....

Option One is for a 48 game season, this will create a high intensity, high pressure run of games where you can barely afford to have an off night. This is surely what is needed.

Option Two is to cancel. That means no more hockey till 2013/14 and for a few marginal, US places, perhaps no more hockey full stop. Just as importantly, it will mean a great deal of lost trust with the fans.

I am still shaking my head that it has come to this but I would suggest that there is approximately two weeks to save the season.

kettdevil1

Ger-Devils said:
15th has been touted as cut off.
And the deal on the table is a $60m cap.

Could go either way but I would say that for the first time since the Summer there is more chance of hockey being played than not............

kettdevil1

Ger-Devils said:
I haven't kept up to date lately but reading some articles at the moment, looks like they will finally play.
That sounds like a fair shout.... I would go for 55/45 chance in favour if some hockey..... In no way is it guaranteed but both sides have stopped ranting at each other......

The Flames might have to defend that .500 record after all....

Ger-Devils

Being a Sens fan, rather start fresh next year. Alfie looks like he's done and won't be returning. Few snipers needed. Got the D and toughness sorted.

kettdevil1

Ger-Devils said:
Being a Sens fan, rather start fresh next year. Alfie looks like he's done and won't be returning. Few snipers needed. Got the D and toughness sorted.
Looks like Krusty might have to dust off the cobwebs.... the odds are shortening on a January start....