new rink

Skippy

I like this "At night perforated lights will shine blue, or red when the Devils are playing at home"

More than I probably should

kettdevil1

maccab5 said:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/ice-hockey-news/2011/03/31/sneak-preview-of-devils-new-ice-arena-91466-28433315/

anyone else think it looks a bit like john lewis but in a different colour?
It appears to have dominoes attached to the front and sides....

TheStub

I like how they couldn't talk to Regan. I can't imagine him being happy with 2500. We would sell that out too easily. Cardiff Council really have stitched us up here.

Unless they are pushing through plans for a second pad in a bigger arena. You can dream I suppose.

I have to say i like it, and with the lighting it should look pretty amazing on match night, the fact that the design has been changed for the VIP section is good to hear and probably down to the influence of Regan i would expect.
The 2,500 seating though is a big let down and doesn't give us the opportunity to expand the fan base, i'm sure PR won't be impressed by that. Although it should guarantee a good atmosphere.

rolf

Well it looks good from the outside. I have a twinge of disappointment that it appears to be a 2500 seater which is about what we have in the wardrobe right now. If we are to grow as a team it would have been good to have a bit of extra capacity as we have sold right out more than once this year and have turned folk away at the door, that just don't make good business (devils) sense to me. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not looking for a massive empty barn which only ever gets filled for concerts and ting, but if it was +500 more seats with extra standing capacity that would (to my mind anyways) not be beyond the realms of possibility to fill given a competitive league and teams.

With all the match-night illuminations it will advertise itself and will stimulate interest as a result and the first rule of retail is to generate foot-fall allowing the on ice product to sell itself to the curious. If the team is worth it they will then return.

It looks really cool but could probably do with a few more seats (+1000? more? lets be positive here) and maybe a whole other ice pad. I wonder what the bars like and whether it overlooks the ice.
Its a small thing, but external advertising signage ('next home game', 'why not come ice skating') would seriously interfere with the magic lights (COOL!) and the sleek lines. I hope this has been taken into consideration and we wont end up with a sexy building with banners nailed on.

Advertising idea: "Cardiff Devils: Everything is harder inside the CUBE"... I'll get my coat. :lol:

osh

It's a ridiculous situation to propose a 2500 seat arena with no mention of how much space would be available for those wishing to stand near the plexi. I'm assuming that seats will go right down to the plexi with walkways under the stands. I'm also assuming there will be standing areas at each end (as per old rink). It's all guesswork until we see a proposal for the interior layout, but as the intention is to increase the popularity of our sport, surely they should be aiming for a minimum of at least 3000 seats with perhaps standing areas of perhaps 300 at each end ?

Skippy

osh said:
It's a ridiculous situation to propose a 2500 seat arena with no mention of how much space would be available for those wishing to stand near the plexi. I'm assuming that seats will go right down to the plexi with walkways under the stands. I'm also assuming there will be standing areas at each end (as per old rink). It's all guesswork until we see a proposal for the interior layout, but as the intention is to increase the popularity of our sport, surely they should be aiming for a minimum of at least 3000 seats with perhaps standing areas of perhaps 300 at each end ?
Wasn't the inside meant to be a bit like the Skydome ?

kettdevil1

osh said:
I think 300 at each end would be pushing it a little but I agree that it is vital that the mistakes from the BBT are not repeated. 2500 seats and 500 standing would not be ideal but at least it would be an increase on our current home. My concern is that things will slip and we will end up with a 2500 capacity rink

Am I the only one who hates the outside of the rink? Having it coloured red is all very well but if it is pig ugly it just draws attention to it...

kettdevil1

skippy said:
Wasn't the inside meant to be a bit like the Skydome ?
I don't think we ever got to the bottom of whether the pictures released were an artists impression or a representation of a rink...

Having said that I would be surprised if it is significantly different

Strange how this gets in the Press just as SORAC is planning Protest action. We have all seen these pics before. I can just imagine the conversation. Petruis--- Come on Mr Neville lets get something in the Press before people start listening to those nasty SORAC people. J Neville--but Mike we only have the pics everyone has seen, they all know that inside its just the Skydome squeezed in to a box. Petruis--- just use the outside ones again everyone will only notice the pretty lights

I really hope you don't get what is proposed. You need 3000/3500 seats to be able to progress and I believe that you could, with proper marketing, fill it! 2,500 is a bit of a blow for you I would think. Sincerely hope you get what you deserve.

It amazes me that there is nothing on Planet Ice or The Arena Group websites about this new arena, they do not appear to be very proud of this new building!!

as well as the lack of seats, is there only one ice pad too! what a waste of money. Can't we move to swansea, obviously cardiff council dont give a damn, they have no ambition at all!