New players review

mweller

Thread starter #1
I thought be interesting to consider our new signings this season. Others will have seen the new players more than me, so I'd be interested to hear their views.

Kurka - his Kurkness, the Kurkster, the Kurkerino. Scores goals, sets up play, puts in ice time, looks class. A new favourite, I've noticed Kurka tops popping up around the BBT. 9/10

Kosowski - I had some doubts about Kamil, but he's improved with every game, was great against Hull where he got MOM (I hear he was impressive against Giants last night too). EIHL player of the week, he looks to have resolved the netminder problem that has (ahem) bedevilled us this season. 8/10

Gipters - quick and nimble, Gipters looks good. He is an attacking defender, which means he will get goals for a D-man, but may also mean he is a bit prone in defence, for instance the 2nd goal against Panthers. Creates a good mix in the defence. 7/10

Rama - haven't seen much of him, and when I have he hasn't particularly impressed. Not been bad, but not done that much either. It's too early to tell, he's probably settling in. 5/10

Svete - as above really, although I have seen a bit more to him than Rama, and I hear he played well against Giants. Early days still. 6/10

Liimatainen - erm, international man of mystery. Like Keyser Soze, no-one knows if he really exists.

BTW - this isn't a pro or anti- Pope thread, but I predict it will soon be one. Like Godwin's number, I propose we have a Pope number, which is the number of replies before any thread is taken over by that discussion. I predict a Pope number of 7 for this ;)

Finny

Kurka, Kosowki and Gipters have been very impressive signings.
Svete I'm not sure about still, seems a bit inconsistent.
Based on last night's performance though Rama is nowhere near the standard of the EIHL. Lord and Myers might well have been playing on their own for most of last night.

DevilDom

Obviously impressed with Kurka.
Kosowki has improved game on game so yes impressed with him.
Svete did well on the bigger ice pads in Scotland but has made a few mistakes on our ice so jurys out for now.
Gipters was the opposite for me - he seemed to struggle the first few games up in Scotland but has got better and was pretty impressive last night against the Giants.
The less said about Rama the better but he looks way out of his depth.

Ocko

I echo the comments from Dom, Finny and mweller.

Kurka is one of the best we've had in the EIHL, right up there with Weller IMO.
I like Gipters, at first I wasnt sure, but he makes great offensive plays and is a good skater but after a moment of brilliant he can be prone to a few errors but I guess that will iron out as he gets up to speed. He seems a very similar player to Richie.
Svete, not so sure. Seems fairly average to me. I dont really notice him (which might not be a bad thing) but I'm not sure what he offers, especially when Richie is back; Richie, Gipters, Batch, Plumton, Smith, Marsh are all better players IMO and shouldnt be moved to accomodate him.
Rama wouldnt even make the top line of our NIHL side. Remember Millette?

Rama got through a lot of dirty work last night holding a position in front of the net and tying up a d man, got an assist and made room for myers and lord to exploit. its not only all about what you do on the puck.

Slartibartfast

Petercw said:
Rama got through a lot of dirty work last night holding a position in front of the net and tying up a d man, got an assist and made room for myers and lord to exploit. its not only all about what you do on the puck.
Yes I would agree with that. He did make quite a few mistakes though resulting in turnovers. I guess we just noticed it more because he is under scrutiny as a new player.
Tyson Marsh also made a couple of mistakes but due to his general awesomeness we don't notice or comment. I guess if Rama builds a similar reputation then we will not notice a few mistakes.
In saying that he doesn't look like a Tyson March quality player to me but nor did Tyson Marsh last season (if that makes sense)