New Plans For ISV

Ejercito Rojas

A velodrome and an outdoor cycle track would be MUCH cheaper to build and infinitely cheaper to maintain .
IMO based on this I believe that in the diminishing likelihood that the ISV ever gets finished the council will opt for a large coil of wire and a load of tarmac over the cost prohibitive snow sports centre option!

Devil94

There is a lot of space down there, and it has big potential. The grass site right next to IAW, and then the Toys r us site and carpark, and then there's a big piece of land the other side of Toys r us too.

From the pictures, a cycling velodrome would go where Toys r us is, and the area between IAW and Morrisons would be like a big square with a zip wire. To be honest if I had to make a list of things that are needed down there, I think zip wire would be pretty low down. But I'm all for more sporting venues to be built down there.

moggy#9

I just don't get the need for a velodrome (mind you, I hate cycling). The snow dome was a facility that would have drawn loads of people to have a go. I was really looking forward to learning to ski. I honestly don't think Cardiff council have a scooby when it comes to this stuff.

Wannabe2

I don’t get this as when Sorac was having talks with the council to get our new place built, I am certain that the council were to receive a £16 million European grant as long as this sports village had facilities for water, snow, and ice. Now we have the water as in the pool, water rafting, we have the ice as in our gaff, and the snow was to sorted by building the snow dome. Now that was a few years ago now when we were still a full member of the Euros, so I wonder what happened to that agreement. Can other SORAC members please comment on this, as I think I am right in my assumptions. Stay Safe All.

Rempel16

I don’t get this as when Sorac was having talks with the council to get our new place built, I am certain that the council were to receive a £16 million European grant as long as this sports village had facilities for water, snow, and ice. Now we have the water as in the pool, water rafting, we have the ice as in our gaff, and the snow was to sorted by building the snow dome. Now that was a few years ago now when we were still a full member of the Euros, so I wonder what happened to that agreement. Can other SORAC members please comment on this, as I think I am right in my assumptions. Stay Safe All.
Would Brexit not have changed the terms of this?

kingmo19.1

The ‘snow’ would no doubt refer to the amount of drugs being utilised in the Cardiff Bay Area ! So that brief has been more than fulfilled!

Mazzoak

Let me guess there are elections due, pretty much every time a plan is released its timed near to an election.
The phase 3 section of the development, the Ski slope to include multi storey car park, retail & restaurants got binned well before Brexit.
In a time when everyone is looking at their environmental impact running a large freezer 24/7 wouldn’t fall into being Green. Add the fact Cardiff has no airport that flies into Ski destinations, the failure of the artificial ski slope indicating a lack of interest in skiing, it’s chances of being a profitable business was very risky. Let’s face it the WNIR sold out every weekend and it had an established Devils fan base, the transition to the IAW was, well diabolical considering. The Ski slope was never going to happen, no investors showed any interest in it. Cardiff & Wales simply doesn’t have enough people earning enough money for the developments coming out of the officers of those in Cardiff Bay.

Last edited: