New Manchester Rink

hip check

Surprised it’s not been spotted already, but great news for Manchester Storm and UK hockey. Apparently it will be one of the biggest rinks in the UK.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-greater-manchester-traffordcity-28419815.amp

Might be bad news for us, as we will then be in the bottom half of rink sizes and in turn bottom half for revenue.
You need to look at the bigger picture, hockey in this country needs more quality rinks, if we are one of the smaller rinks so be it, some of the best nights were in the tent and the WNIR.
Guildford are entertaining and competitive in a smaller rink than ours.

Wannabe2

You need to look at the bigger picture, hockey in this country needs more quality rinks, if we are one of the smaller rinks so be it, some of the best nights were in the tent and the WNIR.
Guildford has the richest owner in the league, that’s why.

Ocko

Thread starter #4
I need to look at the bigger picture? It’s great news for hockey in the UK, I’ve not said otherwise. In fact I said what good news it was. No Devils fan will be happier than me that they have a new rink as I’ve played there a lot more than probably anyone else on this forum.

I was just making a point that it could push the Devils further behind in the spending stakes.

moggy#9

Don't get me wrong, I'm as happy as anyone that we have the home we do. The thing is though we'd better hope that the new arena are Atlantic wharf can have ice, or well cease to be viable as a top level franchise within a decade.

Finny

Surprised it’s not been spotted already, but great news for Manchester Storm and UK hockey. Apparently it will be one of the biggest rinks in the UK.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-greater-manchester-traffordcity-28419815.amp

Might be bad news for us, as we will then be in the bottom half of rink sizes and in turn bottom half for revenue.
I’ve read several articles on it, but none yet have given an indication as to what the capacity for hockey will be.

However, as it’s being run by Planet Ice the rent the team will be charged will bring down their budget.

Hedd Wyn John

I’ve read several articles on it, but none yet have given an indication as to what the capacity for hockey will be.

However, as it’s being run by Planet Ice the rent the team will be charged will bring down their budget.
Given capacity is one of the most basic things you'd have planned for any arena it seems puzzling why it's not mentioned. Doesn't help the credibility of the announcement.

hip check

I need to look at the bigger picture? It’s great news for hockey in the UK, I’ve not said otherwise. In fact I said what good news it was. No Devils fan will be happier than me that they have a new rink as I’ve played there a lot more than probably anyone else on this forum.

I was just making a point that it could push the Devils further behind in the spending stakes.
The team that spends the most don't always win things..aka Sheffield Steelers for instance.

hip check

And have a big budget. and have a great coach best in the league for me.
Why have they never won the league considering they have the richest owner in the league? biggest wallet doesn't always mean you win the biggest trophies. I believe our owners have quoted in the past that we have probably the 3rd/4th biggest budget and up until last season we have always punched above our weight, it's not always fat wallets that win trophies, although I would say it gives you a better chance.

kettdevil1

The old men arena capacity was 17000 amazing when full . Should think the new one be 15000 plus.
I could be wrong but I suspect it will be much less than that - the footprint isn't massive and for hockey I can't see it being that size. Great news that it looks to be going ahead though