New guy - Looking for some answers

Thread starter #1
First of all hello everyone, I've not long been a fan of hockey and it's only in the last couple of years watching the NHL has really got me into it. I've lived in Cardiff for 20 odd years and never been to a game but I do go skating at the rink once every week which is also something I've only started doing in the last year.

Today I found this forum and figured I'd ask about a few things that seem to be impossible to get an answer for. Today was my 31st birthday and the Mrs agreed to drive me down to the rink to buy me a new Devils jersey as I figured it would be good to support the local team and get down to the rink to watch some games but upon arriving and going into the shop inside the rink the man behind the desk of the shop seemed completley uninterested in helping me when I asked if the new jerseys had been released. Feeling somewhat unwanted we left and I went into town to grab a birthday bite and then check out proline skates to see if they sold them or would be. I spoke to the guy in Proline and he seemed a hell of a lot more interested in being helpful but told me how he wouldn't be stocking them due to some kind of issue they have with providing them to him, he further told me that he would gladly have them on the racks even though he'd make no profit at all on them and that he'd just be happy to help the customers out.

At this point I was a little confused by why it seems to be so hard to get a new jersey so I came home and popped onto the PC to have a browse on the official club website only to see that the new jerseys are "coming soon". I also found this a little odd as there is a preseason game tomorrow and apparently I still can't buy a jersey. As I said I'm new to the Cardiff Devils but it's seems very hard to figure out what the hell is going on with the club so I did a little browsing on twitter and was told that the new jersey had been posted on twitter.

All of the jersey stuff aside I thought to myself "I'll go to the game tomorrow" but when I went on to book tickets there seemed to be no option to book a ticket online. Now I hate using phone numbers to book tickets and I can't find any information on if I can turn up and buy a ticket on the day either.

So why am I on here sounding like a right moaning git? Well simply put it's because I want to watch some hockey, maybe become a big fan of the sport, get my two little girls into it or even my nephews but so far it seems a very confusing and complex set off affairs to get involved. I was wondering if I've inquired at a bad time or if the club is always so difficult for fans/potential new fans?

Ger-Devils

Spike said:
First of all hello everyone, I've not long been a fan of hockey and it's only in the last couple of years watching the NHL has really got me into it. I've lived in Cardiff for 20 odd years and never been to a game but I do go skating at the rink once every week which is also something I've only started doing in the last year.

Today I found this forum and figured I'd ask about a few things that seem to be impossible to get an answer for. Today was my 31st birthday and the Mrs agreed to drive me down to the rink to buy me a new Devils jersey as I figured it would be good to support the local team and get down to the rink to watch some games but upon arriving and going into the shop inside the rink the man behind the desk of the shop seemed completley uninterested in helping me when I asked if the new jerseys had been released. Feeling somewhat unwanted we left and I went into town to grab a birthday bite and then check out proline skates to see if they sold them or would be. I spoke to the guy in Proline and he seemed a hell of a lot more interested in being helpful but told me how he wouldn't be stocking them due to some kind of issue they have with providing them to him, he further told me that he would gladly have them on the racks even though he'd make no profit at all on them and that he'd just be happy to help the customers out.

At this point I was a little confused by why it seems to be so hard to get a new jersey so I came home and popped onto the PC to have a browse on the official club website only to see that the new jerseys are "coming soon". I also found this a little odd as there is a preseason game tomorrow and apparently I still can't buy a jersey. As I said I'm new to the Cardiff Devils but it's seems very hard to figure out what the hell is going on with the club so I did a little browsing on twitter and was told that the new jersey had been posted on twitter.

All of the jersey stuff aside I thought to myself "I'll go to the game tomorrow" but when I went on to book tickets there seemed to be no option to book a ticket online. Now I hate using phone numbers to book tickets and I can't find any information on if I can turn up and buy a ticket on the day either.

So why am I on here sounding like a right moaning git? Well simply put it's because I want to watch some hockey, maybe become a big fan of the sport, get my two little girls into it or even my nephews but so far it seems a very confusing and complex set off affairs to get involved. I was wondering if I've inquired at a bad time or if the club is always so difficult for fans/potential new fans?
Hi there, quick response regards shirts but due to the league itself changing logo's, this delayed the process of them going to be made meaning we wouldn't have them by the pre season game.

Regards online tickets, due to the rink being owned by Planet Ice, they used to offer the online facility to buy tickets and their website for Cardiff's rink has been taken offline due to an update during last season but has not been dealt with yet. I'm not sure what the issue is with them. Hopefully the new rink will bring back the option for online sales. You will be able to pay on the door tonight which isn't an issue. I think it's the same price but don't quote me on this.

Thread starter #3
Whilst its good to finally understand this why is t there something on the official stores website explaining this? I've had to chase it up myself, it really isn't good communications with the fans. It also makes me wonder why the kits can't be supplied already, my mate is from Coventry and is happily sporting his Coventry Blaze jersey right now, if they can do it then I'm guessing their either more organised or there is another reason the jerseys are taking so long?

I think my issue is that as someone with a fresh outside view it seems a lot of effort to support the Devils. I mean the website could give more information on buying tickets in the day for the game, even I'd it's just got a *subject to availability line next to it.

I'd really like to buy a jersey now, I'd also really like to go to the game tonight but it makes it hard to do so when I don't know if I'll be able to buy a ticket in the door or how much it'll cost if I can. I don't know how long I have to keep waiting for a jersey either, it all just seems like a lot if hassle when the club should be making things easy for the fans to entice then in, especially when the rink is a mess and generally the only person who seems to be helpful is one of the lads who deals with getting the rental boots.

My experience so far of planet I've and the Cardiff Devils is not a good one and whilst I won't let it put me off I'm sure any on the fence potential fans would have not bothered and given up by now.

James

Administrator
Remember the shirts arent supplied by the Devils nor are the tickets. Not that everything is rosy off ice but don't let that stop you enjoying the games which is the important thing. I think you have probably encountered a perfect storm there tbh. Shirts are seldom ready for the start of the season for various reasons, usually down to sponsorship or the like. Planet Ice are on a different level themselves and customer service has never been a strong point of theirs. Console yourself with the fact the hockey should be a lot of fun and when you compare your new Devils shirt with the dish rag your Coventry friend is sporting you should be well pleased :)

Spike, not a devils fan but your jersey will be this year from CH and not the nasty cheap looking Rhino shirts so even if you had to wait a few weeks for it, trust me it would be worth it. Once you have your shirt compare that to the Blaze Rhino shirt. Devil fans will tell you the same buddy.
All I can say is Devil fans are one of the best sets of fans in country and get on with everyone so you will love watching the hockey and being a Devil.
Once you have the bug try and take in a few away games you will enjoy this, so get your name down on the bus to Braehead we are a friendly bunch up here.
Enjoy your hockey bud.

drainage

Spike said:
Whilst its good to finally understand this why is t there something on the official stores website explaining this? I've had to chase it up myself, it really isn't good communications with the fans. It also makes me wonder why the kits can't be supplied already, my mate is from Coventry and is happily sporting his Coventry Blaze jersey right now, if they can do it then I'm guessing their either more organised or there is another reason the jerseys are taking so long?

I think my issue is that as someone with a fresh outside view it seems a lot of effort to support the Devils. I mean the website could give more information on buying tickets in the day for the game, even I'd it's just got a *subject to availability line next to it.

I'd really like to buy a jersey now, I'd also really like to go to the game tonight but it makes it hard to do so when I don't know if I'll be able to buy a ticket in the door or how much it'll cost if I can. I don't know how long I have to keep waiting for a jersey either, it all just seems like a lot if hassle when the club should be making things easy for the fans to entice then in, especially when the rink is a mess and generally the only person who seems to be helpful is one of the lads who deals with getting the rental boots.

My experience so far of planet I've and the Cardiff Devils is not a good one and whilst I won't let it put me off I'm sure any on the fence potential fans would have not bothered and given up by now.
another reason to become a season ticket holder - any non ST game has your seat held until 12pm on day of game (think thats the time) so you know you can get a seat !!

In all seriousness there will be tickets available tonight - really dont see a sell out time of year, people on hols, cost etc

The adults tickets are £17

Unfortunately PI are the keepers of admittance to the rink not the Devils dont be put off its a great sport and great team!!!!!!!

drainage

clanfandoug said:
Spike, not a devils fan but your jersey will be this year from CH and not the nasty cheap looking Rhino shirts so even if you had to wait a few weeks for it, trust me it would be worth it. Once you have your shirt compare that to the Blaze Rhino shirt. Devil fans will tell you the same buddy.
All I can say is Devil fans are one of the best sets of fans in country and get on with everyone so you will love watching the hockey and being a Devil.
Once you have the bug try and take in a few away games you will enjoy this, so get your name down on the bus to Braehead we are a friendly bunch up here.
Enjoy your hockey bud.
What a nice post ! And very true re Rhino vs CH - wouldnt wipe my feet with a Rhino shirt :D

And the Scottish trips are loved by the Red Army - gutted no triple header this season and indeed Braehead fans are fab !

Hi Spike, if you have only watched hockey on TV, you are going to go mad about the live game, so stick with it, as the problems with shirts and tickets will get sorted.
You will have no problem getting walk up tickets for the Blaze friendly, and i use the word "friendly" loosely, my advice would be the get tickets for block's 2, 3, or 4 as there is always a bit of fun and laughter going on there.
Hope you enjoy

Finny

Happy Birthday Spike!

As you'll come to find out, the Cardiff Devils aren't a big organisation and don't have the money to be run as professionally as NHL teams.

The shop in the rink isn't run by the Devils, though I'm surprised you found them disinterested as I've always found them helpful and patient.
The shirts are also produced by a separate company and I believe the production of them have been delayed due to the league changing sponsors logos.
We use a different supplier to Coventry. Their shirts are made by Rhino and I've bought toilet roll which is a better quality that them. It would also appear that with Coventry you had to pre-order shirts for them to arrive before 2nd Sept - so that wouldn't have been much use for you either.

The online ticket facility was run by Planet Ice, but after they got into 'financial difficulty' last season it was shut down. Don't be afraid to ring them number as the girls are very friendly and helpful. Though I would recommend buying a ticket in person with cash to save booking fees and card charges.

Tonight's game won't sell out so you won't have a problem buying on the door. Future games might, but as you go to the rink skating once a week you can pick a ticket up while you are there in advance of the game.

Yes the rink is a mess but again, this is out of the Devils' control - when we have a new shiny rink it should be much much better.

Hope that is of some help.

Thread starter #11
drainage said:
another reason to become a season ticket holder - any non ST game has your seat held until 12pm on day of game (think thats the time) so you know you can get a seat !!

In all seriousness there will be tickets available tonight - really dont see a sell out time of year, people on hols, cost etc

Unfortunately PI are the keepers of admittance to the rink not the Devils dont be put off its a great sport and great team!!!!!!!
A season ticket is the last thing I would buy after my experience so far. For me buying a season ticket is something you do when you like the service you are provided, as a fan I can understand the "I must buy a season ticket" stance as it ensures you the games but when you're new to a club the last thing that makes sense is to invest hundreds of £ into a club who seem to have a hell of a lot wrong at business and organisation level.

I know a bloke who runs a casual football club and has managed to get two sponsors, a club badge and a full kit for 22 players in the last 2 months without even knowing until then that he'd have to and at the last moment he was told he'd have to get names, numbers and change the badge and he has with minimal fuss. It's pretty bad to see a professional club starting their preseason without so much as a single kit having been sold when a single bloke organising an entire team can do it. You can always say "It's due to the new badge" but as I mentioned before, Coventry Blaze have done it and I imagine a few other clubs have too which leaves the question "why can't the Devils"?

I suppose this leads me onto Finny's reply which answers a few things:

Finny said:
Happy Birthday Spike!

As you'll come to find out, the Cardiff Devils aren't a big organisation and don't have the money to be run as professionally as NHL teams.
I don't mean to sound aggressive (I'm sure by now I do and I honestly do not mean to, it's just how I speak/type) but why not? From my understanding the Devils were the team in the UK in the 90's so what changed?.

Finny said:
The shop in the rink isn't run by the Devils, though I'm surprised you found them disinterested as I've always found them helpful and patient.
Well I'm not sure of the name of the bloke who runs the shop but my experience, as is many of my friends, is as follows:

He seems to say as little as possible leaving myself and my friends all agreeing that you feel the need to push to get any answers or help.

If you're after help it feels, again, like you have to push. I was considering buying skates from the shop but it seemed the more information I tried to get the harder it became and the more irritated he seemed to be which resulted in me going to proline where I found the guy was extremely helpful, offered to order things in for me, helped me with sizing and so on.

I suppose to sum it up it all feels very "buy or get out", there seems to be a real lack of customer care which is something that I've always been praised with as I worked in retail for many years so I know it's not that hard.

Finny said:
The shirts are also produced by a separate company and I believe the production of them have been delayed due to the league changing sponsors logos.
We use a different supplier to Coventry. Their shirts are made by Rhino and I've bought toilet roll which is a better quality that them. It would also appear that with Coventry you had to pre-order shirts for them to arrive before 2nd Sept - so that wouldn't have been much use for you either.
This is a lot more informative than anything I've found on the club website, which makes me again question how the site is being run. I have worked on numerous gaming websites as an administrator and designer, I know how easy it can be to add simple functionality to update websites so why couldn't there be an update box on the kits pages giving an up to date news reel of what is going on with the kits, hell just having the information
Our shirts are produced by a separate company and production of this seasons jerseys have been delayed due to the league changing sponsors logos. We at the Devils want to ensure the best quality of shirt and quality is what we will deliver despite this set back, thank you for your patience.
This would be enough to keep many people like myself from feeling we have to chase information up and spend so much time on doing so. It should be the clubs number one priority after keeping the club stable and profitable to make sure the fans are happy and satisfied with the service they receive from the club.

Finny said:
The online ticket facility was run by Planet Ice, but after they got into 'financial difficulty' last season it was shut down. Don't be afraid to ring them number as the girls are very friendly and helpful. Though I would recommend buying a ticket in person with cash to save booking fees and card charges.
I do like the desk staff, they're always very nice and polite when I go skating however I do not use phones as I suffer from "telephonophobia", this may sound made up but it's a well documented anxiety disorder which leaves me unable to take or make phonecalls to people I do not know. I always use the net to order things and will only buy something if I can do so face to face or via an internet site. This is one of the reasons I was frustrated by the fact the only way to book is by telephone.

Finny said:
Tonight's game won't sell out so you won't have a problem buying on the door. Future games might, but as you go to the rink skating once a week you can pick a ticket up while you are there in advance of the game.
I think this is what I'll have to do but how early do ticket sales before a game go ahead as I go every Wednesday and it is a good 30 minutes travel if I cannot buy on a Wednesday?

Finny said:
Yes the rink is a mess but again, this is out of the Devils' control - when we have a new shiny rink it should be much much better.

It really is, one thing I find confusing however is there any way to make a complaint about the rink as it is more often than not a slush on Wednesdays when it is not cold outside. I have often found myself dreading skating when it's a hot day as the ice seems to have a good centimetre or two of water over it at all times during these sessions, we have to pay full price despite being limited to two thirds of the ice and it's often missing chunks of ice which I've seen people fall due to. I've been to a few rinks and Cardiffs is by far the worst and looks like it'll be my only option until the new rink is built but from what I've been reading that may not be finished for more than two years?

J.B said:
The big question should be... Have you thought about where you will park??
Well I'll be skating on the ice in the session before the game with my mother and daughter so the plan is that they'll go home and leave me at the rink if I do stay for the game and then my partner will pick me up after the game. I'm not sure if I'll stay, I suppose it depends on what happens when I speak to the desk when I get there later for skating.

Spike said:
drainage said:

A season ticket is the last thing I would buy after my experience so far. For me buying a season ticket is something you do when you like the service you are provided, as a fan I can understand the "I must buy a season ticket" stance as it ensures you the games but when you're new to a club the last thing that makes sense is to invest hundreds of £ into a club who seem to have a hell of a lot wrong at business and organisation level.

I know a bloke who runs a casual football club and has managed to get two sponsors, a club badge and a full kit for 22 players in the last 2 months without even knowing until then that he'd have to and at the last moment he was told he'd have to get names, numbers and change the badge and he has with minimal fuss. It's pretty bad to see a professional club starting their preseason without so much as a single kit having been sold when a single bloke organising an entire team can do it. You can always say "It's due to the new badge" but as I mentioned before, Coventry Blaze have done it and I imagine a few other clubs have too which leaves the question "why can't the Devils"?

I suppose this leads me onto Finny's reply which answers a few things:

Finny said:
Happy Birthday Spike!

I don't mean to sound aggressive (I'm sure by now I do and I honestly do not mean to, it's just how I speak/type) but why not? From my understanding the Devils were the team in the UK in the 90's so what changed?.

Finny said:
Well I'm not sure of the name of the bloke who runs the shop but my experience, as is many of my friends, is as follows:

He seems to say as little as possible leaving myself and my friends all agreeing that you feel the need to push to get any answers or help.

If you're after help it feels, again, like you have to push. I was considering buying skates from the shop but it seemed the more information I tried to get the harder it became and the more irritated he seemed to be which resulted in me going to proline where I found the guy was extremely helpful, offered to order things in for me, helped me with sizing and so on.

I suppose to sum it up it all feels very "buy or get out", there seems to be a real lack of customer care which is something that I've always been praised with as I worked in retail for many years so I know it's not that hard.

Finny said:
This is a lot more informative than anything I've found on the club website, which makes me again question how the site is being run. I have worked on numerous gaming websites as an administrator and designer, I know how easy it can be to add simple functionality to update websites so why couldn't there be an update box on the kits pages giving an up to date news reel of what is going on with the kits, hell just having the information
Our shirts are produced by a separate company and production of this seasons jerseys have been delayed due to the league changing sponsors logos. We at the Devils want to ensure the best quality of shirt and quality is what we will deliver despite this set back, thank you for your patience.
This would be enough to keep many people like myself from feeling we have to chase information up and spend so much time on doing so. It should be the clubs number one priority after keeping the club stable and profitable to make sure the fans are happy and satisfied with the service they receive from the club.

Finny said:
I do like the desk staff, they're always very nice and polite when I go skating however I do not use phones as I suffer from "telephonophobia", this may sound made up but it's a well documented anxiety disorder which leaves me unable to take or make phonecalls to people I do not know. I always use the net to order things and will only buy something if I can do so face to face or via an internet site. This is one of the reasons I was frustrated by the fact the only way to book is by telephone.

Finny said:
I think this is what I'll have to do but how early do ticket sales before a game go ahead as I go every Wednesday and it is a good 30 minutes travel if I cannot buy on a Wednesday?

Finny said:

It really is, one thing I find confusing however is there any way to make a complaint about the rink as it is more often than not a slush on Wednesdays when it is not cold outside. I have often found myself dreading skating when it's a hot day as the ice seems to have a good centimetre or two of water over it at all times during these sessions, we have to pay full price despite being limited to two thirds of the ice and it's often missing chunks of ice which I've seen people fall due to. I've been to a few rinks and Cardiffs is by far the worst and looks like it'll be my only option until the new rink is built but from what I've been reading that may not be finished for more than two years?

J.B said:
The big question should be... Have you thought about where you will park??
Well I'll be skating on the ice in the session before the game with my mother and daughter so the plan is that they'll go home and leave me at the rink if I do stay for the game and then my partner will pick me up after the game. I'm not sure if I'll stay, I suppose it depends on what happens when I speak to the desk when I get there later for skating.

The season starts in a couple of hours... Dont worry ! Be happy!!

Finny

Spike said:
I wouldn't expect a newbie to jump straight in and buy a season ticket, but I would recommend buying a flex ticket package - whereby you get 6 for the price of 5.

Spike said:
Even in the 90s the club wasn't run anywhere near as professionally as NHL teams. Fan still complained about lack of information, shirts not being ready on time etc. Since then though the game has changed beyond recognition and having one of the best venues in the city centre we are now in a tent down the bay - so our attendances and revenue have dropped massively.

Spike said:
Last summer the club went into administration, after which the back office staff was reduced from lots to about 3. I think one person is now responsible for updating the website amongst their other jobs - so it isn't done as often as we would like.
However, one thing I have noticed is that the club are embrassing twitter well. Though I haven't done it myself, almost daily I see them replying to other fans about questions such as jerseys. I think you said you are already on twitter so I would recommend adding CardiffDevils, Paul Ragan and Brent Pope.

Spike said:
Errr.... I'm not certain but I think it is at least 2 weeks in advance and sometimes up to 4 weeks.

Spike said:
Finny said:
You'll have no problem buying a ticket on a Wednesady for a game the following w/end, indeed some people buy tickets on a game night for the following game which could be 7,8 or even 10 days ahead. Get yourself down tonight you really are going to have a great time ;)

While on the question of info on the Devils web site. I can't see any "easy" info on the warm up game on Sunday. From another thread which I now can't find, I picked up the Elite players would be available to meet fans at Mermaids Quay ???? at the time of ???? Sunday afternoon and this would be followed by a warm up match which G would be treating as a MATCH but no time was given and there is no mention of this game, let alone the start, on the official fixture list.
Anybody got some info. I'm up from Cornwall this weekend and would like to get a view of the new players.

Sheincar

CornwallTaffy said:
While on the question of info on the Devils web site. I can't see any "easy" info on the warm up game on Sunday. From another thread which I now can't find, I picked up the Elite players would be available to meet fans at Mermaids Quay ???? at the time of ???? Sunday afternoon and this would be followed by a warm up match which G would be treating as a MATCH but no time was given and there is no mention of this game, let alone the start, on the official fixture list.
Anybody got some info. I'm up from Cornwall this weekend and would like to get a view of the new players.
Am convinced we're not wanted at this game. The meet the players is at marquee at Terra Nova from 1 to 3pm (harbour festival on too so that may get a bit crowded). Game faces off @6. Guess someone from club will correct me if this is wrong :lol: :lol:

Thanks for that Sheincar. Does your reply suggest just a non-advertised game by the Devils or an actual lockout game behind closed doors. I thought I had also read somewhere that the game against NIHL Devils would be used as a fundraiser for the DCF. They won't get much if they don't advertise it.

Sheincar

James said:
http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/community-news/cardiff-devils-vs-dcf-match/

Its all in there
First time I've seen that but then I was looking in news section & fixtures rather than community news :DWD