NEW D MAN

New forward Tomas Kurka has been training with the Devils team throughout this week, while Pope is intent on signing a new defenceman.

Power forward Andrew Conboy has been released after being suspended three times already this season and will be replaced by a D-man.

“We are in talks with a couple of players and hope to have somebody next week,” said Pope.

Guess there's your answer to your first question.

As for the second, both the Blaze and Braehead will be tough games. The Chavs have Egener coming back (could even be back) to play and I think I saw that Shea Guthrie had been released from Scandanavia (?) and if I were a betting man, I'd put money on him going back to the Blaze (if he's returning to the Elite League).

Braehead always play a smart road game, bring a good crowd with them and if I recall correctly have turned us over at the BBT already this season. Not an easy prospect, but the guys are professionals. I back the Devils all the way.

I believe there will be enough pride for the guys to play for the name on the front of the jersey - no real reason why we can't aim to get 4 points.

Thread starter #3
Armchair Coach said:
New forward Tomas Kurka has been training with the Devils team throughout this week, while Pope is intent on signing a new defenceman.

Power forward Andrew Conboy has been released after being suspended three times already this season and will be replaced by a D-man.

“We are in talks with a couple of players and hope to have somebody next week,” said Pope.

Guess there's your answer to your first question.

As for the second, both the Blaze and Braehead will be tough games. The Chavs have Egener coming back (could even be back) to play and I think I saw that Shea Guthrie had been released from Scandanavia (?) and if I were a betting man, I'd put money on him going back to the Blaze (if he's returning to the Elite League).

Braehead always play a smart road game, bring a good crowd with them and if I recall correctly have turned us over at the BBT already this season. Not an easy prospect, but the guys are professionals. I back the Devils all the way.

I believe there will be enough pride for the guys to play for the name on the front of the jersey - no real reason why we can't aim to get 4 points.
Yeah thanks for that, but i guess we have two more games without a new D, in which time Smith should be back anyway.

As i always do, i will look forward to playing, love coming to watch the devils play win or lose.

Im confident that after a week training with the team it will only help kurka become better and better.

kettdevil1

Can't see this anywhere..... In the programme last night there was a small piece saying that a signed contract had gone out to a d man with EIHL experience and the hope was that he would be in next week.

Sounds over optimistic to me and not sure how this would work if Mark Smith is back but...any ideas?

Thread starter #7
Breant has said that a new player from the continent has been identified but was injured saturday night, but they were still hoping to announce him on Tuesday.

However we have a suspension of 8 games on an import, which means another import would have to be dropped in order to let this new player ice.

Thus creating a competition for places, which in my opinion we need. Perhaps the lack of competition is making some of the players think there untoucable due to us being short benched.

rikardo1uk said:
Breant has said that a new player from the continent has been identified but was injured saturday night, but they were still hoping to announce him on Tuesday.

However we have a suspension of 8 games on an import, which means another import would have to be dropped in order to let this new player ice.

Thus creating a competition for places, which in my opinion we need. Perhaps the lack of competition is making some of the players think there untoucable due to us being short benched.
Just a thought, maybe they feel untouchable because the likelihood is that players don't want to come to Cardiff anymore. The City used to be a draw for them along with the way they were housed and treated, perhaps that is no longer the case

jodysstillagirlsname said:
rikardo1uk said:

Just a thought, maybe they feel untouchable because the likelihood is that players don't want to come to Cardiff anymore. The City used to be a draw for them along with the way they were housed and treated, perhaps that is no longer the case
But Jody, we just signed one of the top players the club has seen in the EIHL era. That suggests we are capable of making a signing...

Have Hope#35

Soundwave1 said:
jodysstillagirlsname said:
rikardo1uk said:

But Jody, we just signed one of the top players the club has seen in the EIHL era. That suggests we are capable of making a signing...
Yeah, he's so good that we've started winning again... Oh wait?

Rempel16

So Have Hope #35....

Is he not very good?????

Soundwave's point is relevant.... Players don't want to come to Cardiff apparently, yet Tomas Kurka is the best CV we have signed since Craig Weller and he was happy to come here.

(And he is most definitely the best player we have seen since Weller).

But Jody, we just signed one of the top players the club has seen in the EIHL era. That suggests we are capable of making a signing...[/quote]
Yeah, he's so good that we've started winning again... Oh wait?[/quote]

Yes, this isn't really relevant to my post :lol:

Wannabe2

rikardo1uk said:

So we are now going to sign a injured player, that should help, perhaps he could stand on the bench with Mark Smith and Pope, as for the signing of a D Man with eihl experience wasn't that the clan man who turned us down..

Paul Sullivan

Rempel16 said:
Tomas Kurka is the best CV we have signed since Craig Weller and he was happy to come here.

*cough* Paul Bissonnette *cough* :D

I think the quality of Kurka is not in question. However recruitment has many levels. The most significant one in the history of G's tenure was always cost. The club very publicly stated they broke the bank, so to speak, to get Kurka.

That's not recruitment. That's shopping. If we are comparing, then is Kurka worth more than Weller? Because that's what the biggest contract in the BBT era would mean if value were to be obtained.

One high profile signing was made as appeasement and a positive response was desperately needed by management. I severely doubt the next guy will be anywhere near this level. I would likely expect a young unproven player who is costing around half of Kurka's wage. Even the rumoured signing this week of Matt Hanson was not the level of player needed to make a difference to our over-worked D corps.

Have Hope#35

Rempel16 said:
So Have Hope #35....

Is he not very good?????

Soundwave's point is relevant.... Players don't want to come to Cardiff apparently, yet Tomas Kurka is the best CV we have signed since Craig Weller and he was happy to come here.

What i'm saying is one or two good signings does not make a good team... Weller changed our season, as good as Kurka is I can't see him doing the same! And players will always come for a pay packet if they have no other offers... Look at when QPR were a sinking ship in football, they still made signings because the financial reward was good enough!

Have Hope#35

Rempel16 said:
So basically then, players are actually willing to come to Cardiff?
I didn't actually say they weren't... Will anyone come to us for our prospects, ambition or ability? Probably not... Will they come to us for a decent pay check? Definitely! I like the fact that more often than not we've found the reasonably priced gems, however under Pope the only tactic is to throw cash at a player... Doesn't work like that!

Gazza272

Paul Sullivan said:
One high profile signing was made as appeasement and a positive response was desperately needed by management. I severely doubt the next guy will be anywhere near this level. I would likely expect a young unproven player who is costing around half of Kurka's wage. Even the rumoured signing this week of Matt Hanson was not the level of player needed to make a difference to our over-worked D corps.
Hanson would have been perfectly servicable.

At no point has the club promised a super star signing on D. And with Smith, Marsh and Richardson already here we certainly have the top end D correct, they simply need some additional support.

Essentially this D man needs to be the replacement for G who if we are being honest wasn't in the last few seasons a top unit player.

Sheincar

Gazza272 said:
Paul Sullivan said:
Hanson would have been perfectly servicable.

At no point has the club promised a super star signing on D. And with Smith, Marsh and Richardson already here we certainly have the top end D correct, they simply need some additional support.

Essentially this D man needs to be the replacement for G who if we are being honest wasn't in the last few seasons a top unit player.
If I remember Hanson hasn't played this season so wouldn't be match fit whereas prior to his enforced retirement, unretirement & re-retirement we had a match fit & committed D man in G.

Gazza272

Sheincar said:
If I remember Hanson hasn't played this season so wouldn't be match fit whereas prior to his enforced retirement, unretirement & re-retirement we had a match fit & committed D man in G.

I don't think the fitness would have been a major issue.

In saying that I think a few of the current group of guys need to be looking at their own fitness and they have been playing all season.