New Article - Cardiff Devils Mount Puckmore

wildthing74

Got to be JL who turned us into the best team in the land.I will add to that McEwen and Hope who's loyalty and love for the club kept them here year after year and gave us the backbone of that awesome team.My last choice would be Ken Hodge.Only served us for 2 years but still my all time favourite Devil and was a class act on and off the ice.

TheStub

Thread starter #4
I tried to have a spread, as the team (being elder veterans in UK ice sports now :shock:) have had to compete at several levels. It is more about defining Devils, than simply numbers. You could always pick 4 from our most successful teams...but would that give that a true "greats of Cardiff Devils"?

JL always is on the list. You don't have to think twice about that.

Honorable Mentions (that I didn't include in the article)

In terms of recent personnel, two I though to add (but didn't) were Uncle Bob and Matt Burge.

Uncle Bob - he took one of the most successful and stable ice hockey clubs in the UK and ripped the heart out of it. We went from guys with years and year of experience to a revolving door of players and coaches. No-one wanted to stay, and we stank on the ice. He probably defined the Devils for most of the EIHL and BNL periods. Put simply, we wouldn't be the team we are without him.

Matt Burge - back office disorganisation, and more than a few volunteers with feathers so ruffled that they have almost fallen out... but I'd take Matt over Bob. He turned the team around - seriously. Add in the fact that he bowed out, and made sure that the team was passed on to even more stable ownership says an awful lot. Bob would have dragged the team with him, probably using the season ticket money to pay his tax bill (yes - I did go there).

Gazza272

TheStub said:
Uncle Bob - he took one of the most successful and stable ice hockey clubs in the UK and ripped the heart out of it. We went from guys with years and year of experience to a revolving door of players and coaches. No-one wanted to stay, and we stank on the ice. He probably defined the Devils for most of the EIHL and BNL periods. Put simply, we wouldn't be the team we are without him.

mmm thats not really how I remember Bob's reign on the ice really. Off the top of my head I can think of:

Jeff Burgoyne
Brad Voth
Gerad Adams
Ed Patterson
Russ Romanuick
Jona Phillips
Phil Hill
Phil Osaer
Tyson Teplitsky
Mark Richardson

all those guys stayed for more than one season during Bob's era, We also won two trophies and had a couple of top 3 finishes.

I dont think you could make a case for stinking on the ice too much.

TheStub

Thread starter #7
Call it journalistic embelishment. ;-)

But, looking over the history of the team how many true greats came up in that period compared to what came before. With the ISL break up, and the age of the players, I'm not sure how much we can blame Bob. But why sully a story with truth :p

kettdevil1

Really interesting article. For what it is worth, the only one I would agree with is JL.

I would select MC over Mo (just and perhaps only because of that goal), Mike McWilliam over Brad (similar players but for me Mac stood out in a stronger league) and Stoney over Chinny (for sheer loyalty and longevity).

Perhaps we could build an annexe to add a few more...?

Jones72

For me:

John Lawless is a given.

MC just is.

Ivan Matulik -the original Mr. Cardiff Devils

then I get a bit stuck.

Ken Hodge was sheer class; Mo is up there with MC; Vother is Mr. Cardiff Devils in the modern era; MacWilliam was only here for a short spell but made a huge impact; Stoney should be in the running for his long service and dedication to the club; hmmm....

ASHIPP

1. JL - without whom the Devils would never be :cool:

2. Shannon Hope - passion, grit and loyalty - for the Game and the Club

3. The Vother - 21st Century Mr Cardiff Devils - changed the style and perception of British ice hockey in recent years

4. One of the local players as a role model - what youngsters can aspire to with skill and determination - Hill, Lyle, Stone or Francis

TheStub

Thread starter #11
ASHIPP said:
1. JL - without whom the Devils would never be :cool:

2. Shannon Hope - passion, grit and loyalty - for the Game and the Club

3. The Vother - 21st Century Mr Cardiff Devils - changed the style and perception of British ice hockey in recent years

4. One of the local players as a role model - what youngsters can aspire to with skill and determination - Hill, Lyle, Stone or Francis
For me the classic era star and the Brit are the player are the slots that area really up for grabs. Voth is 21st Century must have, and JL is just JL.

E.D.S.

For me, it has to be:
JL
MC - just because he was head a shoulders above anyone for such a long period of time. Effortlessly brilliant.
Voth - Five, ten even fifteen years after he's gone I think we'll be talking about the impact he had on Cardiff and the Devils in the same breath as Mo, the Coopers and MC.
As for the final spot. I respect Stoney and the time he spent with the Devils but in my opinion that was more down to a lack of drive and motivation that he never left and tried his hand elsewhere. Others may call it loyalty and passion for the club which no doubt features in there somewhere but I think other reasons were more prominent. Also if Stoney had continued to progress to be the player he was looking like being when he was younger then I think he'd be here hands down but I'm not sure he ever did. He was good but I don't think I'd call him great.
So for me the final spot goes to Jeff Smith. Again part of the golden era but he was a big part of the massive foundation that the Devils were able to build back then.

Is there a final spot for Tony Hand for missing that penalty shot? :eek: