Netminding Changes (topics merged)

Sheincar

So Joe's gone & Cook stays until end of month & 4 competing for back up. Is there a Guinness World record for number of goalies in 1 season?

Wannabe2

Cant wait for season to end, total farce amateur leadership, wont be wasting my hard earned money on these jokers next season. Cardiff Capitals here we come.

Tad#

Feel sorry for Joe. Been with the Devils for most of his career now. Hope he lands on his feet soon.

As for those running the club, wake up. The fans are clearly getting tired of it all.

Gazza272

Firstly I think Joe Myers has had a pretty amazing story, to not be a goalie until your late teens and end up with professional W's next to your name is movie worthy if told correctly. It's very rare in sports to find a selfless team mate and that is certainly what Joe reflected during his time in the Devils camp. It was a pleasure to call his shoot out win earlier in the year against Dundee on the Webcast..

I hope from this he can get a starter spot somewhere either this year or in the near future. He has certainly worked hard enough for it.

On the other side of this coin I am pleased to see us give encouragement to our next crop of goaltender talent. We seem to be implementing a system of showing youngsters there is a progression through this club, i'm unsure as to why this is a bad thing as being portrayed on this thread already, in fact I find it quite unbelievable that none of the youth goalies have been given any type of encouragement so far, I think it's a sign of how entrenched in dislike some have become. This is pro sports where people get cut all the time, I think some would have a coronary if they followed a minor league team in North America where people leave at the drop of a hat with not so much as a thank you.

As above it's sad to see a guy who has given so much have to see it end, but I can see the reasoning behind it. We have too many goalies and not enough spots and that always leaves something to give. Let's hope the young guys take the bull by the horns and take their chances, I'll be rooting for them just like I rooted for Joe.

Gazza272 said:
On the other side of this coin I am pleased to see us give encouragement to our next crop of goaltender talent. We seem to be implementing a system of showing youngsters there is a progression through this club
Yep to the discarded door

august04

Wannabe2 said:
Cant wait for season to end, total farce amateur leadership, wont be wasting my hard earned money on these jokers next season. Cardiff Capitals here we come.
I'd welcome a fresh start in a year or two, Cardiff Capitals or whatever, in the new facility with an Elite league team run by the new rink operator. If I was Greenbank, I wouldn't let the chuckle brothers anywhere near the new arena. They are making a mockery of this once great club. Next year's recruitment will be very interesting given the current level of discontent.

Gazza272

jodysstillagirlsname said:
Yep to the discarded door
Well yeah that is pro sports really isn't it.

Rod Hinks was rubbish so we got rid of him because he didn't make the grade.

Brad voth was brilliant so we kept him.

Myers turned out into a competent back up but it's not like ability wise we have sacked a top goal scorer. We have replaced like for like with a view to the future.

It's just sports this is what happens in it. It's a damned shame, I believe Joe has a job outside of hockey which if is still the case an excellent situation for him to be in as this decision won't be as harsh on him as it would for some others.

As I said I hope he get's a starters position somewhere either this season or next. But I can see why this action has been taken, it makes sense to me.

Am I the only person that can see a goalie injury coming up after everyone's gone and we left with kids to play in goal! Would pretty much sum this season up perfectly!!

Sheincar

lankyian said:
Am I the only person that can see a goalie injury coming up after everyone's gone and we left with kids to play in goal! Would pretty much sum this season up perfectly!!
No I've had the same thoughts especially with the way our season's going. Have no problem with kids being given their chance but the business end of the season is not the time to be relying on them.

I don't think anyone would disagree you need to let youngsters through, but doing it like this is pretty poor. I doubt even the youngsters would be happy to see someone who was just like them once get treated in this way. Doesn't exactly inspire them to stay committed to the club does it...

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to start some sort of protest against the way Brent Pope is tearing this club apart - before it's too late ?

Maybe the fans should take over and rescue the Devils.

Gazza272

Sheincar said:
No I've had the same thoughts especially with the way our season's going. Have no problem with kids being given their chance but the business end of the season is not the time to be relying on them.

They aren't starting. They are being given a chance to back up. Ross Miller has already been back up this season when G was coach. Was it wrong to rely on him then?

ASHIPP

What a shambles. No wonder the team is so inconsistent....no-one knows who is on the roster from week to week. They never get a chance to settle. Money saving exercise gets rid of a long serving backup and new exciting young import netminder.

I am all for youth development but surely not at such an important point in the season...and with Pope in Sochi.

Maybe this is the way the Club is going....are they planning to drop to EPL level next season. If not, good luck with recruitment for Elite League level. Who will want to come here?

Tad# said:
Feel sorry for Joe. Been with the Devils for most of his career now. Hope he lands on his feet soon.

As for those running the club, wake up. The fans are clearly getting tired of it all.
That's the thing Ragans so arrogant he thinks he can do as he pleases and the fans will suck it up!

Sheincar

Gazza272 said:
Sheincar said:

They aren't starting. They are being given a chance to back up. Ross Miller has already been back up this season when G was coach. Was it wrong to rely on him then?
When G was player/coach was not at the business end of the season. I fully understand that they're not starting but given that Pope's "tactics" consist of musical goalies they may be pressed into service earlier than is good for them and their future careers.