My Team

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
Hopefully some players read this.Okay guys its time to get the show on the road, ( and home ), you have a coach that had the faith in you to sign you, its now time to return that trust, starting with both games this weekend.Gerad is a very loyal man to his players, a attribute which is seldom seen these days, and its now about time those same players appreciate that, and start to return that faith. You guys were signed for a reason and this squad has talent in abundance and now is the time to show everyone of us exactly what you guys are all about. We may have a pretty shitty rink, but this club is steeped in a winning attitude, and the honour of pulling on a Devils shirt should never be taken lightly. Devils fans are a very fickle lot to say the least, but a more Passionate, Verciferous fan base there is not. So there it is guys, you certainly have the talent that goes without a doubt, but do you all have the heart and soul to go thru a brick wall for each other, and for the very people that makes this club what it is today Joe Public. Myself I believe you do so the ball is now in your court, its a short career guys dont cheat yourself, and certainly dont cheat the very people that have faith in you, lets make this team HOTTER THAN HELL you have the tools lets start using them please.

Skippy

Wannabe2 said:
Hopefully some players read this.

Okay guys its time to get the show on the road, ( and home ), you have a coach that had the faith in you to sign you, its now time to return that trust, starting with both games this weekend.

Gerad is a very loyal man to his players, a attribute which is seldom seen these days, and its now about time those same players appreciate that, and start to return that faith.

You guys were signed for a reason and this squad has talent in abundance and now is the time to show everyone of us exactly what you guys are all about. We may have a pretty shitty rink, but this club is steeped in a winning attitude, and the honour of pulling on a Devils shirt should never be taken lightly.

Devils fans are a very fickle lot to say the least, but a more Passionate, Verciferous fan base there is not. So there it is guys, you certainly have the talent that goes without a doubt, but do you all have the heart and soul to go thru a brick wall for each other, and for the very people that makes this club what it is today Joe Public.

Myself I believe you do so the ball is now in your court, its a short career guys dont cheat yourself, and certainly dont cheat the very people that have faith in you, lets make this team HOTTER THAN HELL you have the tools lets start using them please.
Try this Pete :grin:

osh

Wannabe2 said:
Hopefully some players read this.Okay guys its time to get the show on the road, ( and home ), you have a coach that had the faith in you to sign you, its now time to return that trust, starting with both games this weekend.Gerad is a very loyal man to his players, a attribute which is seldom seen these days, and its now about time those same players appreciate that, and start to return that faith. You guys were signed for a reason and this squad has talent in abundance and now is the time to show everyone of us exactly what you guys are all about. We may have a pretty shitty rink, but this club is steeped in a winning attitude, and the honour of pulling on a Devils shirt should never be taken lightly. Devils fans are a very fickle lot to say the least, but a more Passionate, Verciferous fan base there is not. So there it is guys, you certainly have the talent that goes without a doubt, but do you all have the heart and soul to go thru a brick wall for each other, and for the very people that makes this club what it is today Joe Public. Myself I believe you do so the ball is now in your court, its a short career guys dont cheat yourself, and certainly dont cheat the very people that have faith in you, lets make this team HOTTER THAN HELL you have the tools lets start using them please.
:DWD Happy Hockey Days

You didn't answer my previous question Wannabe2, so just in case you missed it, who or what - as you see it - is the problem at the Devils? ( you wrote that it isn't G ) by the looks of your post above, it's the players.

Pleximan

I thought I would add to my measley post count that some would point out does not qualify me to have a knowledgeable opinion as someone with say......5000+ posts :DWD

As a Devils supporter since '89 and longtime season ticket holder I have found myself over the last 3 or 4 seasons becoming more concerned with the mediocrity to which the Devils have sunk and become accustomed to.
G with Franny's help recruits players very well and each off season we are treated to some very good signings that wet the appetite, but each season collectively they fail to deliver. Why?? Each season we are told that we will be tough and strong in our own building, yet get rolled over far too easily and consistently by the top teams of which we delude ourselves that we are among.

Deciding not to renew my season ticket and instead buy tickets on a walk up basis I thought I would wait to see how the season begins before returning to a ST. Well, early season results have now definitely made my mind up. It seems almost inconceivable that it has actually become boring to watch the Devils these days, certainly at least a waste of £17 for a game ticket.

I so wish that the players and G can step up and take ownership of the situation and turn the results around but I have to say that I just can't see it happening. The once feared Cardiff Devils have just become an also ran, joining the bottom half teams in mediocrity and way off the pace of the top teams.

With a new arena for the Devils on the horizon it is simply crucial that results improve and quickly to not only attract new fans but to simply keep a hold of the ones they have actually got. The happy clappers will always be there and will clap on regardless of team performance, but for the club to progress a winning team is an absolute basic requirement.

This Devils team(one of the best G has recruited?)is proving themselves to be very average which in turn will only attract a very average game night support. The problems with the team, players, motivation, leadership, tactics, shocking powerplay just seem endless. The Devils have become boring to watch lately in my opinion, lot's of promise and potential, but only disappointment.

Pressure is on, can G turn it around??? Mmmmmmmm

Ejercito Rojas

The Great Leader has spoken. With all the accumulated wisdom and boundless knowledge that only one with such an enormous post count could possibly command!
Alas though, it is little more than a rambling sentimental exercise in banality, platitudes and contradictions.
The Great 2 says (I can't bring myself to call him 'The Great One) the club has a winning attitude, well, you gotta have a good memory to recall when the club actually won anything.

The Great2 says Gerad is VERY loyal to his players. Only The Great2 can know what goes on behind the dressing room door for sure.
But maybe, just maybe his loyalty to the players is part of the problem. Maybe, the big G needs to
Be a little less understanding and a hell of a lot more demanding. I'm just speculating here as I don't
have the insight of the Great2 as I have less than 60 posts!

And the final insult is the Great2 has labelled all us fans as very fickle. Not just fickle, but very fickle.
I wonder if he knows the definition of fickle?
Clearly not as he later goes on to say that we the fickle fans (sorry, very fickle fans) make the club what it is today. ie:- disloyal and unstable! (The definition of fickle)

I'm afraid the Great2 is an oxymoron! Well 5/8ths of one anyway!

Pleximan

Ejercito Rojas said:
The Great Leader has spoken. With all the accumulated wisdom and boundless knowledge that only one with such an enormous post count could possibly command!
Alas though, it is little more than a rambling sentimental exercise in banality, platitudes and contradictions.
The Great 2 says (I can't bring myself to call him 'The Great One) the club has a winning attitude, well, you gotta have a good memory to recall when the club actually won anything.

The Great2 says Gerad is VERY loyal to his players. Only The Great2 can know what goes on behind the dressing room door for sure.
But maybe, just maybe his loyalty to the players is part of the problem. Maybe, the big G needs to
Be a little less understanding and a hell of a lot more demanding. I'm just speculating here as I don't
have the insight of the Great2 as I have less than 60 posts!

And the final insult is the Great2 has labelled all us fans as very fickle. Not just fickle, but very fickle.
I wonder if he knows the definition of fickle?
Clearly not as he later goes on to say that we the fickle fans (sorry, very fickle fans) make the club what it is today. ie:- disloyal and unstable! (The definition of fickle)

I'm afraid the Great2 is an oxymoron! Well 5/8ths of one anyway!

Mmmmmm, haven't noticed a winning attitude for a few years now. The Devils were a force in the 90's and won a cup in 2005/6, maybe we are a team trading too heavily on past glories. Perhaps the team that finished runners up to Sheffield level on points were actually playing for Craig Weller and not G? Weller's professionalism and leadership had a number of Devils playing at a high level that season and was not reproduced after his departure, coincidence?

Perhaps the fact that G is very loyal is indeed a problem? Players know everything is nice and cosy. This just does not occur in Nottingham, Belfast or Sheffield, if their players play below par too often, out they go.

Perhaps the OP was watching Braveheart tonight and decided to share their great wealth of knowledge that can only be accumulated as a result of 5000+ posts :lol:

osh

Pleximan & Ejercito Rojas; C'mon you two, how can we take such good posts seriously ??
I mean, after all, you've barely made a 100 posts between you !!!
You will soon feel the wrath of other forum members who have made thousands of posts and are therefore much more knowledgeable than yourselves !!
Consider your wrists well and truly slapped ;)

Mooney#16

The problem is that the glories are exactly that. In the past. It's not that anyone is settling for mediocrity but being a mid table team is exactly the reality the Devils are in. Be realistic. They used to play in front of 2000-2500 in the WNIR in a rink which was a good venue (ish). Now it's 1500 in a tent. You have to be determined to go as a fan as the experience is cack.

Now comparing to glory days the WNIR would be rocking for most games before the puck even dropped and the fans were so overtly pro Devils it was ridiculous but the place was a fortress of all things Devils. They would play hockey with you but more than once when the time came players would take it to the trenches and just engage getting a bit cheap if needed but the supporters would back the boys irrespective.

Now a days it seems the preferred form of supporting your team is to generally pick it apart and slag it off. This fan base has some rotten elements incapable of supporting. Pay your money is to spectate but to support is something else. Rarely at the BBT is the crowd a factor. Away teams can silence the crowd quickly as the fan base is so quick to jump on its own guys. The support is aweful fact.

Yes the players are underperforming and some completely out of form but when that changes as it does in the cycle of a sporting season the devils will be on a winning track but it's no coincidence it seems harder to win at home than away. The BBT is not a supportive environment but a pressure one that hinders the guys not help them. If the fan base wants change they can look at themselves as much as accusing G and the players.

I know what I see on the ice and it isn't as bad as what people are saying. Fair enough Blight, Hill are hand cuffed big time at present but all they can do is try and play through that. The rest are building game shape not to badly. Slating G as a player is way off mark. He is playing quite well. The one guy who I do want to get a grip of himself is Franny and start running that bench and the game for the devils properly. This soft touch (disciplined) hockey has its place but also there are numerous times when there should be some response coming from the bench. That Belfast game needed a marker from someone physically. Keefe and Lloyd were taking a few runs and shots at guys and you can't fault them for that but it invites the focus to them and leaves Belfasts skill to work. You have to be shrewd and say to Adey and Stewart if your going down that road I'm letting my dogs at your skill guys. At home with last change you can pick match ups. Get your boys out there and respond against there skill. It neutral shifts the physicality and questions if the opposition really want to take the game in that direction. The Devils really need to except a zero tolerance to being questioned physically in the Tent. Hopefully with Conboys return steps can be taken but it shouldn't all fall on one guy and unfortunately this has been a contributing factor in his disciplinary record.

So fans you want change. You change. And Devils find your identity. And make it a mean one.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #13
So very sorry to upset so many people, just thought I would put my point of view, as for point scoring what's that about, I don't need to score points thank you. I really do care about our club, and if that differs from your point of view then so be it. Am I pissed off with things at the moment yes I am, do I think they will get better yes I do, that's my take.Also if I decide to not knock individuals that's also my perogative, I will keep my faith in the club and don't need anyone's permission to do that, when that day comes I will certainly knock it all on the head, in the meantime my views are just that my views.

TheStub

Mooney#16 said:
The problem is that the glories are exactly that. In the past. It's not that anyone is settling for mediocrity but being a mid table team is exactly the reality the Devils are in. Be realistic. They used to play in front of 2000-2500 in the WNIR in a rink which was a good venue (ish). Now it's 1500 in a tent. You have to be determined to go as a fan as the experience is cack.

Now comparing to glory days the WNIR would be rocking for most games before the puck even dropped and the fans were so overtly pro Devils it was ridiculous but the place was a fortress of all things Devils. They would play hockey with you but more than once when the time came players would take it to the trenches and just engage getting a bit cheap if needed but the supporters would back the boys irrespective.

Now a days it seems the preferred form of supporting your team is to generally pick it apart and slag it off. This fan base has some rotten elements incapable of supporting. Pay your money is to spectate but to support is something else. Rarely at the BBT is the crowd a factor. Away teams can silence the crowd quickly as the fan base is so quick to jump on its own guys. The support is aweful fact.

Yes the players are underperforming and some completely out of form but when that changes as it does in the cycle of a sporting season the devils will be on a winning track but it's no coincidence it seems harder to win at home than away. The BBT is not a supportive environment but a pressure one that hinders the guys not help them. If the fan base wants change they can look at themselves as much as accusing G and the players.

I know what I see on the ice and it isn't as bad as what people are saying. Fair enough Blight, Hill are hand cuffed big time at present but all they can do is try and play through that. The rest are building game shape not to badly. Slating G as a player is way off mark. He is playing quite well. The one guy who I do want to get a grip of himself is Franny and start running that bench and the game for the devils properly. This soft touch (disciplined) hockey has its place but also there are numerous times when there should be some response coming from the bench. That Belfast game needed a marker from someone physically. Keefe and Lloyd were taking a few runs and shots at guys and you can't fault them for that but it invites the focus to them and leaves Belfasts skill to work. You have to be shrewd and say to Adey and Stewart if your going down that road I'm letting my dogs at your skill guys. At home with last change you can pick match ups. Get your boys out there and respond against there skill. It neutral shifts the physicality and questions if the opposition really want to take the game in that direction. The Devils really need to except a zero tolerance to being questioned physically in the Tent. Hopefully with Conboys return steps can be taken but it shouldn't all fall on one guy and unfortunately this has been a contributing factor in his disciplinary record.

So fans you want change. You change. And Devils find your identity. And make it a mean one.
There is a lot of truth in this. The rink needs to be fortress from the fans - but the two walk hand in hand. The team need to give something for the crowd to get behind, there needs to be a buzz and a spring in the step of the fans, and that is something the team can build. Either by winning, or giving the crowd something to cheer about.

I remember double de-clutching all the way to Cardiff, and parking up before the match at the WNIR. I remember the buzz in the crowd on the way in. People mingling, and pushing to the shop and the cafe - really feel like you are building something. The tent is somewhere you get in and get out as quickly as possible.

Remember queueing in the car to get out of the multi-storey after the match? Remember the honking horns after the victory? Everyone use to have CDs (or even tapes) of the match night tunes to get in the spirit.

The tent seems to have robbed us of a lot of that. Then, when you watch the game the loss and look of defeat all combines to making you just wanting to up and leave.

So, the fans need to build the energy. They need to get behind the guys - but there needs to be a start somewhere. Something to cheer for. I just hope that we demolish the Caps on Saturday. A big, physical performance with a lot of goals. Normally I wouldn't want that - but the Devils need to get out there and put on the show they did in Hull for the rest of you.

Once you watch that, you'll see what this team can do - and once the fan pour confidence onto the rink, the team WILL respond. But the fans need that spark from the team.

TheStub said:
Mooney#16 said:

There is a lot of truth in this. The rink needs to be fortress from the fans - but the two walk hand in hand. The team need to give something for the crowd to get behind, there needs to be a buzz and a spring in the step of the fans, and that is something the team can build. Either by winning, or giving the crowd something to cheer about.

I remember double de-clutching all the way to Cardiff, and parking up before the match at the WNIR. I remember the buzz in the crowd on the way in. People mingling, and pushing to the shop and the cafe - really feel like you are building something. The tent is somewhere you get in and get out as quickly as possible.

Remember queueing in the car to get out of the multi-storey after the match? Remember the honking horns after the victory? Everyone use to have CDs (or even tapes) of the match night tunes to get in the spirit.

The tent seems to have robbed us of a lot of that. Then, when you watch the game the loss and look of defeat all combines to making you just wanting to up and leave.

So, the fans need to build the energy. They need to get behind the guys - but there needs to be a start somewhere. Something to cheer for. I just hope that we demolish the Caps on Saturday. A big, physical performance with a lot of goals. Normally I wouldn't want that - but the Devils need to get out there and put on the show they did in Hull for the rest of you.

Once you watch that, you'll see what this team can do - and once the fan pour confidence onto the rink, the team WILL respond. But the fans need that spark from the team.
great post and it points to something i was chatting about to a couple of friends at the last game. big, physical performance is needed and a building of passion to get everyone going. it was sad to see the devils just accept defeat against belfast. someone should have injected life into the game and the crowd by having a scrap. that is my biggest concern. where is the passion? the sooner we get a new home for the long term, the better. we need an identity.

TheStub

discountedawaytravel said:
great post and it points to something i was chatting about to a couple of friends at the last game. big, physical performance is needed and a building of passion to get everyone going. it was sad to see the devils just accept defeat against belfast. someone should have injected life into the game and the crowd by having a scrap. that is my biggest concern. where is the passion? the sooner we get a new home for the long term, the better. we need an identity.
It doesn't just need to be a scrap. Some physicality, some passion and a level of grit on the blue line that says "none shall pass".

Even if the team are in a hole, making the other team work hard - make it feel like Belfast had to grind out the win. Better, drop to a trapping physical performance and hit Belfast on the counter attack. It may still have lost the game, but make it exciting.

Get the fans on their feet, and make them feel that our home is a fortress - and the fans will give back over and over again.

Finny

A lot of good points in the last couple of posts. Some of you will know Hitchy who is a Sheffield fan and was at the game on Saturday against Belfast.
It was his very first trip to the BBT and his first remark to me was the shocking atmosphere created by the fans. He didn't expect it to be as good as the WNIR but he didn't expect it to be as bad as it was.

I actually thought that the atmosphere in the first period wasn't too bad, but as soon as we fell behind the atmosphere went with it.

Part of the problem is the venue, it has never felt like a home like the WNIR and it never will. But that doesn't stop the fans to cheer for the team throughout the game.

However, I can't help but feel some of the lack of atmosphere this season is down to the changes in the match night entertainment. The intro does leave me wanting more.

TheStub

What can be done to improve the entertainment? I'm sure the match night guys would welcome any constructive criticism or suggestions.

I will freely admit that I haven't been to the tent once this season (the travel is now way too much).

jimmy snels

I'll be honest leadership comes from the top. G was on the ice and is a capable fighter last game for a couple of those giants hits. He should have dropped them to show the passion we all require!

Quiney tried to get something legitimate going to be fair. I do think tho these cheap shots from lloyd need to stop going unanswered. Get someone (again my vote is g because he's not a top line player anymore) and just wait for him to come out the box and jump him. Make sure plumpton and conboy are on the ice with instructions to drop keefe if he comes to his rescue. Time to stop being pussys. It energizes the crowd which in turn helps the players! Its a two way street

I would say first period sat it started really well again. But if your treated to what we then received in the second the crowd was NEVER going to keep it going. Keefe took out lord myres and mac right infront of their net with bad hits and no response.