My Proposed New Challenge Cup Format

Thread starter #1
There has been a lot of talk about the current Challenge Cup not being fit for purpose. Too many dead rubber group games and an unfair seeding system. Forgive me if something similar has already been suggested or discussed, but I have an idea for a proposed new format. I understand it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea and there are those that couldn’t give two hoots about the competition (I’m bored of it myself in its current form), so I’ve been thinking of a way to make the group stage more exciting. Any way, here goes…

Group Stage:

10 teams all play each other once. 5 teams will have 5 home games and the other 5 will have 4 home games. This will alternate on a yearly basis.

Teams are ranked in league format using the IIHF and CHL points system. 3 points for a regulation win. 2 for OT win. 1 for an OT loss.

The team finishing 1st place in the group standings advances straight to the 2 legged semi final as top seed.

The teams finishing 9th and 10th are eliminated.

As one team is straight into the semi finals there will now only be 3 quarter finals:

7th place will host 8th place in a one off eliminator for the right to play 2nd place in the 2 legged quarter finals.

The remaining quarter finals will be:
3 v 6
4 v 5
(Highest seed home in second leg)

The 3 quarter final winners will join the top seed in the 2 legged semi finals.
(Highest seed plays lowest remaining seed)

The highest seed left in will host the one legged final.

This format will see all teams having at least one extra group game, but guaranteed to play an equal or greater number of home games than the current format.

To win the Challenge Cup in the current format, a team has to play either 11 or 13 games to reach the final (Depending on which group they are in).

In this proposed new format teams will play either 12 (if finishing 1st), 14 (if finishing 2nd 3rd 4th 5th or 6th), or 15 games (if finishing 7th or 8th) in order to reach the final.

This format greater rewards finishing position and creates less so called dead rubbers than the current format.

What do people think?

tim78

I think the proposed format is worth trying for a season as the current is to flat.

Last edited:

Earnie

Well done for coming up with a constructive plan Cwmbran Devil. It’s going to take me a bit longer to fully grasp it!

kingmo19.1

I’d like them to implement some sort of drawing system at the outset, to generate some excitement (if that’s even possible with the challenge cup!), by drawing the teams out of a hat, bit like they do in the FA Cup. It’s very boring at present as it’s too predictable.

Rempel16

This looks good at the outset, and whilst if it is not an option that is feasible for the league it at least shows that there are ways of progressing the format of the CC so that the stale version we have now is not rinsed and repeated.

E.D.S.

I think this just shows that there are alternatives if the thinking is right. Personally I'd just make the CC a pre-season thing. Don't start the league until all the games are done. Have the final early on over two legs and forget all about it. Still the same number of games, the league and the fans know what it's all about and someone gets a bit of silverware at the end of it. All done by October.

Much simpler, all pre season, or ended by September. top 8 from previous year qualify for quarter finals, and then normal semis and final over 2 legs. Gives some interest not to finish in the bottom 2...

Rempel16

Much simpler, all pre season, or ended by September. top 8 from previous year qualify for quarter finals, and then normal semis and final over 2 legs. Gives some interest not to finish in the bottom 2...
The bottom 2 miss out on the playoffs now so the incentive is there already