Music

Pembo

Thanks all.
I always think the music at the games is a little like your favourite James Bond - depends on which one you grew up with, or saw first, or the most-formativ- era in-your-life Bond.
Kev's right - the current dross is multiplying and I try to keep the most current slots for pre-game, and intermissions. Been playing tracks from the 20 or so years of NHL game soundtracks these last few weeks, with of course the occasional homage to Meatloaf.
There is indeed an element of wedding DJ'ing to this job. And whilst the purists have valid points for their tastes, good for in your Beosound headphones at home and good for 3000 fans at sport is rarely the same. There' a reason why, complain as we all might, Abba, Dexys MR, Take that, S Club 7 and many more fill dance floors at functions and in commercial venues in city centres. The recent resurgence in 'Rasputin' in some of the most expensive and upmarket clubs as well as say Walkabout recently is a prime example of good is good, not when it was written is good.
Aside from a few real crowd pleasers I never play a track more than once a game - always hated the musical crutches used by some folk - and am always happy to hear new track suggestions and ideas. I've had a couple to get round to doing in the next week or so. Work has been relentless.
If we had £1000 a week spare I'd rather see it on the ice. As my now quite well known conversation with Lord once went in 2014:

'Sully - what really gets the crowd going?
Goals, Andrew.' :D
”Goals, and failing that, men hitting each other, and failing that £1 hotdogs Andrew.”

E.D.S.

'Sully - what really gets the crowd going?
Goals, Andrew.' :D
:D:D Brilliant.

Music isn't a big thing for me. I guess I only notice it when it's really bad, like at Nottingham, Coventry and Sheffield. So for it not to be noticeable here in Cardiff means it's about right for me. Although I do like the old hockey songs - Vile Richard & Stompin' Tom Connors. What I do think is first class is all of the visuals and the montages that are coming out.... the one more recently about welcoming fans back at Fife - and the goal scoring reels on the big screen - brilliant! Our entrance is still the best in the league for me.

Totally get that you can't please everyone all of the time. It's a thankless task but it's currently being done very very well.

Wannabe2

We have without a doubt the best intro in the league, and have done for many years it’s certainly second to none, and gets the hairs on your neck sticking up. Music to me also isn’t the most important thing, if it don’t come across as dross its doing its job, and it has accomplished that for many years. Love our intro.

Mazzoak

The size and crowd support at the IAW would make NHL style intros with ice projection ideal, although after 2 games we’d be bankrupted. So l think at the moment we have the best it’s going to get.

Kevlar68

We used to have one light that would project on to the ice spinning and twirling the Devils logo at the WNIR but then some bright spark thought it would be a great idea to put it above the entrance to project out on to pavement in front of building, one day later it got nicked.
Well done ice rink management, don't blame me i was hospitality manager :p

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

We need some sort of end of season 'forum post' awards - just nice ones.
:)

And now ladies and gentlemen we get to the most one sided award of the evening- “The Whinger, Moaner, Forum Agitator and generally most negative poster award”.

We received 3,537 nominations - all for the same person!

Therefore, without any competition, please welcome onto the stage the reigning champion M…………… !

Mazzoak

:)

And now ladies and gentlemen we get to the most one sided award of the evening- “The Whinger, Moaner, Forum Agitator and generally most negative poster award”.

We received 3,537 nominations - all for the same person!

Therefore, without any competition, please welcome onto the stage the reigning champion M…………… !
That’s a bit harsh, Moggy isn’t that bad. Only 3,537 I could easily beat that, I’ve told a lot of stupid people some very obvious home truths that really irritated them.

Samael

And yet again Mazzoak tries to make a thread all about him/her.

Anyway, l have to agree with the original poster. The music is dated. It's mostly cock rock, which is synonymous with hockey. My non hockey mates always take the piss and say Devils fans all have mullets, wear snow wash denim and are called Wayne or Randy. A goal song by status quo doesn't really do me any favours when l try to disprove this. I'd rather hear Hammond organ than some of the cheese grated out on match nights tbh. I wince whenever knickleback or queen is played, but that's just me. I don't care for cliche rock, never have, never will.

I suppose playing stuff like 'the bells by Jeff Mills', 'knights of the Jaguar by the Aztec Mystic' 'octagon by basic channel' or even the more pop friendly 'far away place by xinobi/rampa remix' which has the perfect lyric of "I've been surrounded by my demons but I've tamed them and I've broken the bar" Would be too much to ask as it's not 40 years old and doesn't pander to the geriatric set of fans.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

Anyway, l have to agree with the original poster. The music is dated. It's mostly cock rock, which is synonymous with hockey. My non hockey mates always take the piss and say Devils fans all have mullets, wear snow wash denim and are called Wayne or Randy. A goal song by status quo doesn't really do me any favours when l try to disprove this. I'd rather hear Hammond organ than some of the cheese grated out on match nights tbh. I wince whenever knickleback or queen is played, but that's just me. I don't care for cliche rock, never have, never will.

I suppose playing stuff like 'the bells by Jeff Mills', 'knights of the Jaguar by the Aztec Mystic' 'octagon by basic channel' or even the more pop friendly 'far away place by xinobi/rampa remix' which has the perfect lyric of "I've been surrounded by my demons but I've tamed them and I've broken the bar" Would be too much to ask as it's not 40 years old and doesn't pander to the geriatric set of fans.
And we have a winner.......

Kevlar68

Nice tracks but not music to set the arena alight i have to say, no use at all to build a atmosphere in a game, a rave maybe...unless your tripping off your tits, staring at the roof and shuffling your feet.

Wannabe2

I suppose playing stuff like 'the bells by Jeff Mills', 'knights of the Jaguar by the Aztec Mystic' 'octagon by basic channel' or even the more pop friendly 'far away place by xinobi/rampa remix' which has the perfect lyric of "I've been surrounded by my demons but I've tamed them and I've broken the bar" Would be too much too much to ask as it's not 40 years old and doesn't pander to the geriatric set of fans.
Correct-never heard of any of these, being an old timer that’s not to say I don’t enjoy them, when I hear them though, and I don’t have a mullet which fortunately is a Nth American saying, which to a Ely boy don’t mean Jack shite. If I could change anything it would be the Steelers Anthem being played in Wales, as I never ever thought that would be played in Gods Country, huge boo boo baby, it’s jumping on the carousel that we should never be on.

Samael

Nice tracks but not music to set the arena alight i have to say, no use at all to build a atmosphere in a game, a rave maybe...unless your tripping off your tits, staring at the roof and shuffling your feet.
When the music is played in bursts of 10-15 seconds l don't see how it is building atmosphere anyway? Someone else mentioned earlier in the thread you'll never please everyone, which is true, but I'm sorry anyone who says the current music played isnt boring, cliche, dated etc is living in 1970 and probably wears hai karate aftershave down the iaw

If TK wants to evolve the match night experience and attract a younger crowd, the current music is not gonna cut it. You mention Dua lipa quite often too Kev, and while I'm no fan of that manufactured pop tart I'd rather hear hotter than hell than status quo all stand up.

Kevlar68

And you now have the wrong idea of why the music is there.
Hockey is why people go, that's the bottom line.
Not the music, not the chuck a puck, not the 50/50, people go because they're attracted to hockey.
Everything else is just an addition to fill moments in time, to create atmosphere not to appease everyone's music tastes. There's no opera, there's no country and western, there's no acid jazz, there's no Kpop.
A younger crowd won't be attracted by any music, if they don't like hockey nothing will change that.

Last edited:

Kevlar68

And again without those now geriatrics as you disrespectfuly called them the Devils may never have got to the bay.
I think Mazzoaks post is a little cheeky one not an offensive one or I may be wrong.

Mazzoak

Yet again I’m jumped on. It was a dig with some humour at Samael who called people Geriatric Fans, which l found poor taste and disrespectful. I’d have called him a tw8t for that in person, unfortunately I can’t here because of the rules. And Wannabe don’t lecture me on respect after the disgusting comments you’ve called me.......

Can we now get back to the music please.