Mr Weller chats to Mr Simms

Thread starter #1
Good phone interview with Craig Weller on the Elite league programme tonight and very good to hear Dave Simms bigging up Cardiff :D

Cant remember the exact words, but he just said to Craig that he was coming to a great city and a great club and that he would be well looked after.

Craig jst said that he was looking forward to coming to Cardiff, he was driving 3 1/2hrs to get his paperwork completed.

He said that there was a chance that if he got an offer from Europe he could possibly leave the Devils but he also said that if he enjoyed it in Cardiff he may stay till the end of the season.

He also said that he played D his whole career but had also played a defensive forward. He likes passing the puck around quickly, rushing up front and looking after his teammates.

He knows Voth, K Smith and had spoke to Hoffman,Sarich about playing here and he also know Brad Cruikshank.

Bits in between but that was the general jist :)

wildthing74

Simmsey also hinting in his Powerplay article that we should replace Stevie.Not the exact words but easy to read between the lines.Love him or hate him he usually says it like it is and he may have a point.

E.D.S.

wildthing74 said:
Simmsey also hinting in his Powerplay article that we should replace Stevie.Not the exact words but easy to read between the lines.Love him or hate him he usually says it like it is and he may have a point.
I hate to say it but it doesn't take someone as clueless as Simms to know that we are little weak at the back. Regardless of the performance of the D so far I've got to be honest and say I don't have a lot of confidence in Stevie. He's given up at least 1 or 2 soft ones in most games and he always struggles when he's forced from his crease.

wildthing74

I think it was obvious after the first few games to be honest.I tried to use excuses like new pads,rusty,slow start last year but got better etc but I haven't seen anything to convince me that he wiill improve.
Feel bit gutted for him as I have seen him play blinders time and again since he was a 14 year old kid and got as many wins over the years but hockey is a business and if we want to be a success we have to look at weak areas.
I'm sure Ragan as a businessman would not allow an underperforming part of his business continue if it was costing his business as a whole.
I said to mates after a few games in we may have to look at bringing in an import netminder and maybe dropping G back to the bench although with the bodies we got out now that cant happen.
I think with a good Brit goalie you have to use the extra import slot for a top end D man or its a waste.As of now that extra import is G who in fairness is playing well this year but maybe if truth be told we are not utilising the extra import to the full.All down to money ofcourse but I think if we were able to keep Weller and get Justin back then Stevie would have the protection needed in front of him and the D unit as a whole would be solid.

TheStub

Goalie confidence is a strange thing. If we had confidence in our backups, I'd say give him a few starts and let Stevie build up to it.

Hopefully with a D improved in front of him he will gain some of his old confidence.

ASHIPP

TheStub said:
Goalie confidence is a strange thing. If we had confidence in our backups, I'd say give him a few starts and let Stevie build up to it.

Hopefully with a D improved in front of him he will gain some of his old confidence.
Watching footage of the Dundee game on Sky last night, Stevie certainly wasn't at his best. :oops:
I read an interview once a sports magazine did with Martin Brodeur talking about the very same subject of confidence. I remember reading that he said that whilst it wass important to know the strengths and weaknesses of the d unit in front of him, he built up his own confidence by focusing game-by-game on producing the best personal performance he could...and forgetting his rare nightmares immediately and moving on.

Craig's arrival will be a massive boost to the Devils in so many ways and Stevie has already shown signs of his 'old self' against Hull on Sunday. Hopefully he will build on that and we will see the return of the 'game changing' performances of last season. :cool:

TheStub said:

Why don't we give Clarkson a go? Isn't he supposed to be a top prospect?

I agree that Stevie has looked a bit 50/50 so far this season, but hopefully it's just a slow start.
Who would you like to replace him with? Would you want to lose an import slot to a goalie, otherwise Murphy is the only guaranteed improvement as a brit keeper, but he's going nowhere.

Chris

Administrator
Is there anyway we can listen again to this?

I've tried having a look around, but I can't find a link to the show or anything...

Interesting to note that only a week or so ago Francis said Weller had the 2 week clause in his contract, now Weller is saying he doesn't and he's free to leave when he wants...

Why didn't the club just say that originally, they must be aware of what is in the contracts?

Chris.

wildthing74

Its no real loss using an import slot for a netminder.Eight out of ten teams in the league do it.It only works having Stevie/Murphy as number 1 if your import skater you bring in is top notch as there are way better goalies over the pond for similar money.

Chris said:
Interesting to note that only a week or so ago Francis said Weller had the 2 week clause in his contract, now Weller is saying he doesn't and he's free to leave when he wants...

Why didn't the club just say that originally, they must be aware of what is in the contracts?

Chris.
I've only watched it once but I don't think he said he can leave when he wants.... just that he might leave if he gets a good offer from Europe but persumably with the usual 2 week notice (for whatever that is worth anyway). Sounds like a top guy and certainly didn't sound like he was going to turn up and then leave straight away.

J.B said:
Chris said:

Chris.
I've only watched it once but I don't think he said he can leave when he wants.... just that he might leave if he gets a good offer from Europe but persumably with the usual 2 week notice (for whatever that is worth anyway). Sounds like a top guy and certainly didn't sound like he was going to turn up and then leave straight away.
That's exactly how I understood it J.B

Finny

phil PLT said:
That's exactly how I understood it J.B
Me too.

No mention of him leaving when he wants, just that the contract has been organised so that he could move on if he wants.

I certainly didnt hear him say he could leave when he wanted, he just said it was a possibility that he could go elsewhere if he had another offer, and that was part of the agreement.

He also said something along the lines that if his family settled in well he may stay for the season. I've had two sleeps, (and a few beers yesterday watching the Rugby) since I watched it so it's a bit diluted now as to his exact words!