MNL for 16/17 - Do we bother?

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Obviously we're not running MNL this weekend, and it's highly unlikely we'll be running it for the games against Banska Bystrica either. Depending on how this thread goes, maybe we'll try for the Coventry Games.

From the reaction on Twitter tonight it seems that the webcast isn't as stable as hoped, but it also looks like there's no improvement in the mobile signal inside the arena for the majority of fans, and again there's no publicly accessible WiFi?

So with that in mind, do we even attempt to run MNL this season? If we do, we're going to have to ask for some more support and help with it, primarily for the home games but also possibly for away games. We relied on an increasingly small pool of volunteers last season, so it would be nice to try and find a few more people to help, the more people the less we need from each individual.

Personally I feel like there is still a place for MNL depsite the webcasts being offered around the league, for the most part we've managed to cover almost every game during the past few seasons which is reflected in the viewing figures:

08/09 - 21,478
09/10 - 40,318
10/11 - 71,541
11/12 - 74,630
12/13 - 81,640
13/14 - 84,092
14/15 - 83,208
15/16 - 107,445
16/17 - ..........

So I guess the important stuff to ask is...

1) Are there people out there who want to help us run MNL for the coming season?
2) What networks are people getting coverage on (if any)?
3) Is there any sort of WiFi visible in the rink? Does anyone know if this might be introduced?

I'm sure there's some stuff i've missed, but i'll come back and edit it if needed. And if the consensus if that we don't go ahead this season then I don't know, we'll see and hope that the webcasts improve.

Electro

Re: MNL for 16/17...

I know there are issues, but so far, the best info of the game is Zagreb's Twitter page, their updating regularly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

Electro said:
I know there are issues, but so far, the best info of the game is Zagreb's Twitter page, their updating regularly.

They had a back door access to the outside world.

I had a faint signal from the moment I took my seat to bout 5 mins before face off when everyone else came in.

Guess the mobile companies need us to moan on mass before they put a few more masts up in the area to cope with nos.

Electro

Cardiff is a 4G city, any more masts people will start cooking.

Imagine your a rink owner with people moaning about wifi, what to do, costs money. Well add the crappy waiting times at the cafe, what to do.

Here is a suggestion, stick wifi in your building, link an ordering system to your bar and cafe. Restaurants use it so clients can order at the table using there app instead of waiting for staff to arrive at the table. You may just improve your service to a point that peeps may actually want to use it.

pjj365

Devil_Abroad said:
Electro said:

They had a back door access to the outside world.

I had a faint signal from the moment I took my seat to bout 5 mins before face off when everyone else came in.

Guess the mobile companies need us to moan on mass before they put a few more masts up in area

Given the signal in BBT and outside it is probably more an IAW issue with the building being a bit of a Faraday Cage (so I've been told) Don't where telephone access points are but would have thought a couple of routers in the main arena would give us wifi. Possiby ride on the back of IceTime comms link

kettdevil1

In answer to the original question. I would hope the answer is a yes. MNL is such a important service to those of us who live away. Is wonder if it might be possible to have a word with either someone at IAW or someone in the Devils office so texters can piggyback on their network.

For away games I am happy to continue to help, although I echo Chris's plea for more people!

Electro said:
Here is a suggestion, stick wifi in your building, link an ordering system to your bar and cafe. Restaurants use it so clients can order at the table using there app instead of waiting for staff to arrive at the table. You may just improve your service to a point that peeps may actually want to use it.
Well.. I know the rink have recently changed over their phone lines to Virgin Media, so there shouldn't be an issue with putting in Wi-Fi, but it all comes down to willingness and cost to the rink. If enough people complain about the lack of signal, then maybe they will eventually look into it.

Best thing to do really is email IAW - info@icearenawales.co.uk

ASHIPP

The importance of MNL cannot be underestimated. This wonderful service is not only essential for away games but for many Devils' fans who work on Saturday/Sunday night. Many fans don't have access to webcasts, home or away, and MNL has a following from players'families and fans from other teams too.

If there is a way to keep it going it would be fantastic (even if only for away games) . A much loved and long established service for hockey fans.

Ocko

I'd be pretty gutted if we lost MNL. I've followed games across the world. To the extent that I've sat in a tent under mortar fire in Afghanistan glued to the service, always appreciate it after that. I hope something is resolved, it's very important to a lot of people.

I would chip in if I could.

EE reception is non existent, anyone having any luck with Three?

The masts aren't the problem, the signal can be improved in the building but would need a bit of investment by IAW

Could IAW not agree to let a few MNL posters to have access to the wifi so it could be updated? Surely it won't harm if a few texters/emailers had access and agreed to not pass any wifi info on.

Devil_Abroad

noodlesboy said:
Could IAW not agree to let a few MNL posters to have access to the wifi so it could be updated? Surely it won't harm if a few texters/emailers had access and agreed to not pass any wifi info on.
now there's a cracking idea

pjj365 said:
Given the signal in BBT and outside it is probably more an IAW issue with the building being a bit of a Faraday Cage (so I've been told) Don't where telephone access points are but would have thought a couple of routers in the main arena would give us wifi. Possiby ride on the back of IceTime comms link
I don't think there's a Faraday cage issue, because I'm on 3 (Three) and there's no signal in the rink or outside until I near the main road.

3's signal was 4G in the BBT and is 4G as soon as I reach the road. The building may be an issue, but I think masts are more likely.

Not that knowing helps!