MK lightning join elite league 17/18

Ocko

Fantastic news. The EIHL just got stronger.

Their rink is fantastic and a really good venue, they already have a good standard of Brits signed and have an experienced coach in Pete Russell.

Finny

Great news!

I'm guessing they're planning on getting a 12th team ready for the 17/18 season too. If the rumours of London being delayed for a couple more season are true I wonder if it'll be another Southern team or one of Blackburn/Leeds?

ASHIPP

Great news... hopefully another team announcement eventually to balance the numbers.

Hopefully will also make the conference system more geographically viable for both conferences.....a proper North/South split.

terry hunt

If the internet is to be believed an organised called AEG? is interested in setting up a London

franchise.

Dublin is also being touted as a venue again.A great matchup of Dublin V Belfast on St Patrick's

day must make the RUC and Garda groan.

They AEG supposedly are linked to other hockey teams in the NHL and europe.

The problem is as always where to put a rink/arena that will pull in support.

I havent been to MK's rink so dont know what its like now.

I recall it being a BBT type place with lots of blindspots. Chants of Dougie,Dougie,Dougie come to

mind.I am getting as cynical as Electro.

The connection with Planet Ice is not a great confidence builder.

terry hunt

Dont spoil my fun Earnie.

Planet Ice cant have bought the BBT to erect in MK have they?

Would they be trying to export the BBT atmosphere to England?

Mooney#16

terry hunt said:
If the internet is to be believed an organised called AEG? is interested in setting up a London

franchise.

Dublin is also being touted as a venue again.A great matchup of Dublin V Belfast on St Patrick's

day must make the RUC and Garda groan.

They AEG supposedly are linked to other hockey teams in the NHL and europe.

The problem is as always where to put a rink/arena that will pull in support.

I havent been to MK's rink so dont know what its like now.

I recall it being a BBT type place with lots of blindspots. Chants of Dougie,Dougie,Dougie come to

mind.I am getting as cynical as Electro.

The connection with Planet Ice is not a great confidence builder.
The BBT is going up to Leeds apparently. It's not actually owned by Planet Ice but personally by the guy who owns Storm so I've been told.

AEG is anshutz (spelling?) entertainment group. They are the previous owners of the London Knights and Docklands Arena. Now current owner / operators of the O2 Arena London.

They were and may still be owners of the LA Kings and at least Munich DEL team hence Chris Mcsorley went over there. They have knowledge in hockey. They have deep pockets. They more than likely are the people who have made moves about KHL. They did stage the Kings / Ducks over here years back at least as some sort of proving experiment to the arenas suitability.

As a complete random guess if they are pitching for KHL that will most likely sink an EIHL franchise hence rumoured hold ups with that announcement ever happening. I don't see Black going toe toe with AEG for bums on seats.

Oh and welcome back to the top league MK.

pjj365

Realy not sure about a pure London franchise

There is really no such place in sports terms - London Broncos anyone? London is a series of villages where the loyalties lie even for its transient population

Streatham, Wembly or even Leigh Valley then yes but let's not expect to unify North and South London for hockey

A corporate based team ( Chelsea anyone) would probably work in the KHL but would not, to me, seem to fit into the EIHL

terry hunt

I note that the AEG group also "own" LA Kings,Manchester Monarchs and Ontario Reign.

The last 2 teams being Bissonette's teams.

Ontario have qualified for the playoffs so Biz could be in the mix for a second Calder Cup.

youngbob

FromAnschutz Entertainment Group website

http://www.aegworldwide.com/

Hockey

Sports fans are known for being passionate about the teams they root for, but nowhere is this intensity expressed more fervently than in the sport of hockey. Sharing this love for the game, AEG owns and operates five hockey clubs in the United States and Europe including the National Hockey League's two-time Stanley Cup-Champion Los Angeles Kings. In addition, AEG also owns the Ontario Reign, Manchester Monarchs, Berlin Eisbaren's and the Hamburg Freezers. At every level: Youth, high school, juniors, college and professional, AEG is committed to promoting and growing the game the game of hockey.