Mike MacWilliam - A gent and pure class

Kevlar68

Thread starter #1
So, i've mentioned on here before that i used to talk to Mac quite a bit during his time with the Devils and he was my favorite player.
In November last year my fiancee sent him a message explaining who i was and asking could she send my shirts to him for him to sign as a surprise for me for Christmas.
Sian got no reply and forgot all about it.
Then out of the blue in Feb Mac contacted Sian apologizing for not replying sooner but he doesn't use his messenger but noticed he had a message and that he would be honored to sign the shirts. He gave Sian his home address and she sent them off.
Yesterday i received them back from Mac with a hand written letter:-

DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

Mac didn't even need to reply to Sian, he could have just ignored it let alone write a letter, sign the shirts and return them.

My signed Devils and Islanders shirts.

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

And to top off the pure class of the guy he sent me this signed pic:-

DSC_0006.JPG

What an absolute legend, God do we miss a player like Mac and i thanked him for the short time he was with us.

Attachments

E.D.S.

What an absolute gent and just goes to show how much this kind of thing means to them when they are retired. Some of these guys, even the current crop, will have such an impact on some fans.

Great post Kevlar

moggy#9

Mac was one of my favourite ever devils. Great skills (his 1v1 finish coming out of the penalty box at Nottingham ice stadium had to be seen to be believed) and in my opinion the best enforcer to lace on skates in the UK. Add to that, just a supremely nice guy. A signed puck from him is one of my most treasured bits of devils merch. Sigh, now I've gone all misty eyed and nostalgic...

BostonBart22

He, wouldn't last 6 games in this non fight namby pamby era, he would've had a lifetime ban with some of his fights he had if it was now, officials wouldn't stand a chance of stopping him especially when the red mist arrived. What a player , perhaps he should be our next legend night, the roof would come off when he hit the ice for ceremonial face off, club would make a killing on his shirt in a raffle , 10.00 tkt.

moggy#9

He, wouldn't last 6 games in this non fight namby pamby era, he would've had a lifetime ban with some of his fights he had if it was now, officials wouldn't stand a chance of stopping him especially when the red mist arrived. What a player , perhaps he should be our next legend night, the roof would come off when he hit the ice for ceremonial face off, club would make a killing on his shirt in a raffle , 10.00 tkt.
The trouble is that the kids wouldn't have a clue about him, and the rest of us would probably mob him for the legend he is.

fridaysfingers

So, i've mentioned on here before that i used to talk to Mac quite a bit during his time with the Devils and he was my favorite player.
In November last year my fiancee sent him a message explaining who i was and asking could she send my shirts to him for him to sign as a surprise for me for Christmas.
Sian got no reply and forgot all about it.
Then out of the blue in Feb Mac contacted Sian apologizing for not replying sooner but he doesn't use his messenger but noticed he had a message and that he would be honored to sign the shirts. He gave Sian his home address and she sent them off.
Yesterday i received them back from Mac with a hand written letter:-

View attachment 2116
View attachment 2117

Mac didn't even need to reply to Sian, he could have just ignored it let alone write a letter, sign the shirts and return them.

My signed Devils and Islanders shirts.

View attachment 2118

View attachment 2119

And to top off the pure class of the guy he sent me this signed pic:-

View attachment 2121

What an absolute legend, God do we miss a player like Mac and i thanked him for the short time he was with us.
That’s a great story Kev, what a quality guy!!

kettdevil1

So nice to hear, I could never summon up the courage to say hello to him as I always imagined him to be the same off the ice as he was on..... so good to hear that he was (and still is) a total gent

Pleximan

Hey Kevlar, what a great post and yes I agree what a classy response from Mac, he is and always has been one of my favourite ever Devils. I'll never forget forget the way he demolished Corey Beaulieu in Sheffield Arena, that was something else! Corey Beaulieu was a big nasty enforcer in the days of Superleague and Mike MacWilliam absolutely battered him in that fight. I do believe that they have been buddies for years since. Mike MacWilliam #24, one of the toughest enforcers ever to play in top flight British hockey, he had some proper battles with Matt Hoffman of Ayr Scottish Eagles and Paxton Schulte of Bracknell Bees, what a great Devil. Oh to have someone like him playing for the Devils now.

hip check

Toughest ever devil by far, seen both and ware get battered, never seen it with Mac
Wasn't he in some sort of casual band when he finished playing where he played guitar and the band sang religious songs? Seems to be hiding somewhere in my inner memory.
Oh to have him in the team right now.