Matt Myers

Thread starter #1
A few of us appear to have him on our wish list for next season. What do you think of our chances of getting him back? Or is it all a bit of wishful thinking?

Tell him to bring back Mark Richardson he was one of the better Panthers that i saw at the play-off's. He showed he can play either end of the ice.. ;)

puck

I would give my right arm for Danny Meyers. A great player, a solid leader on and off the ice. I imagine he will stay with the Panthers but he's an impressive player and I'd love to see him in a Cardiff shirt.

osh

Not too sure Matt would come back at this stage of his career but if he did ( along with at least one other very good Brit ) it would be a sign of what the club is trying to achieve next season.We would still need to retain Hill and Davies, it would be the start of a very good Brit line up. I also would go for a Brit netminder ( Lyle or Craze ) and 10 import skaters ( 3 D and 7 forwards or 4 & 6 )

osh said:
Not too sure Matt would come back at this stage of his career but if he did ( along with at least one other very good Brit ) it would be a sign of what the club is trying to achieve next season.We would still need to retain Hill and Davies, it would be the start of a very good Brit line up. I also would go for a Brit netminder ( Lyle or Craze ) and 10 import skaters ( 3 D and 7 forwards or 4 & 6 )
Maybe if we could get Mark Richardson back as he played so well on D at the weekend then we could go with 3 and 7 which would mean an import on each line, thats if we were to get an British Nettie

Koop11

Mark Richardson has really developed as a player. He was for a while unlucky with some injuries but last season he made an unusual move to Nottingham to play D and admittedly I was thinking ‘eh?’. However, I think he’s done a great job and has shown the versatility in his game. He really impressed me at the playoff finals.

Mark Richardson would be a great Brit signing considering he can be utilised as both forward and defence.

I’ve always been a fan of Matt Myers. Even as a kid I knew he had so much potential and he has really blossomed at Nottingham. So much so, I think it would take a very big offer to prize him away from a very big club where he is now well established. That would be a superb signing if we pulled it off but not sure it will happen.

kettdevil1

"I’ve always been a fan of Matt Myers. Even as a kid I knew he had so much potential and he has really blossomed at Nottingham. So much so, I think it would take a very big offer to prize him away from a very big club where he is now well established. That would be a superb signing if we pulled it off but not sure it will happen."[/quote]

Whilst I like his enthusiasm and he is a decent agitator I'm never totally convinced by the hype round him. He has never put up big numbers, would generally be a third liner and if he is after big money I would say we could do better elsewhere. I would rate Mark Richardson as a better prospect if we had the choice between the two.

I could be wrong, but I believe Myers only turned pro half way through this season. Ie - he was only training once/maybe twice a week while he finished Uni.

He's had a career year for points and I would think will only get better now he is pro.

If he's finished Uni surely this is now our best chance of getting him back at Cardiff.

Rempel16

Myers would add a little bit of everything, he has a good workrate, decent skill, size, he's physical and his points are very good this season.

But the clincher for making this guy an offer has to be his ability in the face-off circle. Neilson has faith in him for pressure situations and he is often the go-to guy for defensive face-offs (more so before they signed bruce richardson).

Our face-off ability has been very much up and down this season (highlighted in the quarter final where jay couldn't win one).

A definite must for me. Sign him up!!!

(although rumours elsewhere suggest he's interested in playing in europe)

Is it me or does anyone find him dirty?

DFrom the face off he cross checks people so someone else skates from behind to take the puck. A few times he did it in Nottingham last weekend and was called for it.

Saying that, I did say to a friend at playoffs that I would like him back. Really good centre, not a pushover.

Richardson back? Yes please to possibly replace stoney.

Meyers? God yes. He's a brilliant player. Was GB player of the tourny in Poland, and he seems a "nice guy" - add to that he ain't half bad looking!!!!

Rempel16

Danny Meyers was a 'must sign' for me for the last couple of seasons but he hasn't had the best of years (possibly shouldering the pressures of the captaincy) and i'm not sure whether he is supposed to be an offensive or defensive d-man this season. His inconsistencies tell me that i'd rather look elsewhere for value for money.

I think M.Richardson would be a better choice, he has been playing like a d-man with 10years experience.

Also for me, Kurt Reynolds of Basingstoke is worth taking a look at, he's had a pretty solid season in a poor team.

Besides, Meyers isn't going to leave his no.4 spot at the Panthers (and the captaincy) to become a 5th d-man for us though.

Ocko

Rempel16 said:
Danny Meyers was a 'must sign' for me for the last couple of seasons but he hasn't had the best of years (possibly shouldering the pressures of the captaincy) and i'm not sure whether he is supposed to be an offensive or defensive d-man this season. His inconsistencies tell me that i'd rather look elsewhere for value for money.

I think M.Richardson would be a better choice, he has been playing like a d-man with 10years experience.

Also for me, Kurt Reynolds of Basingstoke is worth taking a look at, he's had a pretty solid season in a poor team.

Besides, Meyers isn't going to leave his no.4 spot at the Panthers (and the captaincy) to become a 5th d-man for us though.
If Meyers ever came here there's no way he'd be the 5th d man. He would be at least 4th, Stoney would never in a million years be picked over him.

To get a Brit D man in who's good enough to be an import would be as good as signing a British goalie. Decent British D men are a rarity these days...

Ocko said:
Rempel16 said:

If Meyers ever came here there's no way he'd be the 5th d man. He would be at least 4th, Stoney would never in a million years be picked over him.
To get a Brit D man in who's good enough to be an import would be as good as signing a British goalie. Decent British D men are a rarity these days...
I don't think Rempel16 was suggesting that Stone would be picked over Meyers, more that we'll probably be keeping 4 import D men. At least that is what everyone is assuming after they've been so successful this season.

Rempel16

Thats right, thanks soundwave!

I wouldn't even consider less than 4 import d! Danny Meyers hasn't been import standard this season IMO.

Ocko

If we dont sign Lyle I recon we will go with 3 import D due to us having one import less than last year, expecially with our scoring being so low

Rempel16

Ocko said:
If we dont sign Lyle I recon we will go with 3 import D due to us having one import less than last year, expecially with our scoring being so low
I disagree. Sheffield have just won the league with 4 import d, whereas Coventry had 3, Nottingham had 3 and Belfast 3.

The only requirement for us to go with 3 import d is to go out and sign a top Brit. Jonathan Weaver aside there are no D-men in this league that are top Brits. (DavePhillips is on his way there)

So 4 imports is a necessity if we are to challenge. Far easier to get another good Brit forward in to compensate the loss of an import- (Myers, Cowley, Greg Owen are all attainable i reckon).

Ocko

Even M Richardson who had a stella season on D? Fighting aside I think he would be a better quality D man than MacIver.

I think Sheffield went with 4 D men because they probably had the weakest keeper out of the 'big 4'. Might suprise some that I think Jodi is weaker but he's always had a very good D in front of him. This season he has Sarich, Munn, Danger knee and Basiuk in front of him. That is one very strong D unit. They also havent got a good British D man as Thomas is no way EIHL quality IMO.

If we get a quality import keeper I really think we could get away with 3 import D and a good brit D man.

Or get Lyle and have 4 D.