Matt Miller

Thread starter #1
What a find this guy looks to be. great handler of the puck, stepped up tonight to protect Max when campbell was trying his usual best to irritate showed good aggression, and most of all his speed at times was frightening (his goal springs to mind before it got chalked off). Well done Matt - welcome to Cardiff lets hope it continues - great debut !!
CJ

Couldn't agree more.

He looks to be an awesome player. His goal was brilliant, he took it round a player and skated past him with ease, got tripped but managed to stay on his feet then took it past the nettie, then he scored a lovely penalty shot straight after.

I had to congratulate him on the ice after the game for fighting Campbell as not many people seem to bother fighting him although all he ever does is cheap shot people.

I think the first line will be very dangerous when they get going.

Seems to be a quality find, was definately the stand out player of the team tonight and deserved his man of the match. To beat the goalie 1 on 1, have it denied and then do it again in a penalty is just brilliant. Looking forward to seeing some more from him.

drainage

Lid said:
Couldn't agree more.

He looks to be an awesome player. His goal was brilliant, he took it round a player and skated past him with ease, got tripped but managed to stay on his feet then took it past the nettie, then he scored a lovely penalty shot straight after.

I had to congratulate him on the ice after the game for fighting Campbell as not many people seem to bother fighting him although all he ever does is cheap shot people.

I think the first line will be very dangerous when they get going.
Isnt that both his goals were good ? ref called too soon on the penalty .... poor Matt hit the net twice and scored once !! But am upbeat about his season !!!

Thread starter #6
Anybody who steps up against Campbell and roughs him up aswell is fine in my book.. As for the game itself, I thought for a challenge match or a "friendly" it was exciting and a generally entertaining game. Cov have played a few preseason matches already and looked to have a full roster tonight (maybe one or two out though not quite sure) and we matched them and could/should have beaten them tonight in our first game and 3 imports down.. I have a feeling this could be a good year as a Devils fan onwards and upwards guys !!!!
CJ

Chris

Administrator
On the strength of one game, bloody amazing :)

Apparently Smith only landed late this morning, and we know Birbraer only arrived this morning also, although neither of them looked a slouch, Smiths shot that pinged off the pipework was an act of God I think ;)

If he/we can play like that for every period of every game, we may just be in for one of the best seasons yet :D

Chris.

DevilDom

Looked very sharp and extremely quick over the ice. A great penalty after a great finish before that as well!

I thought Richardson and Lyle also had a good games.

Exciting times - we matched Cov with 3 imports missing and 2 having only landed the morning of the game.

How good was he????!! Awesome!

Add to that - we FINALLY have someone who can score a penalty shot. Having watched our players struggle with that for the last couple of years, it's a relief to have someone who can get the puck in the net one on one (twice!).

Liked the way he stood up for his team mates and took on Derek Campbell too. Nice.

What a pre-season game?
It had everything :)

Lol, I noticed how he nearly got himself a Gordie Howe hatrick inside 20 minutes :lol:

But seriously, what a player. He was one of the two guys who I was looking forward to seeing play the most, out of our new guys. No doubt after last nights performance he definately delivered on my expectations, and more.

The goal was top class, he used his pace to beat the defender, who then proceeded to trip him, then he got back up and beat the keeper one on one travelling at very high speed.

After the goal was disallowed, he then scored an awesome penalty shot against one of the top keepers in this league, and made him look silly.

I could list on for ages about all his awesome plays etc. but I'm finally going to end with his fight.
I noticed Campbell messing round with Maxi, only to see Miller go after Campbell, nudge him and drop the gloves. The fight was decent and I would give Miller the win.

I'm very impressed. :D

voth26

seems like i missed a cracking game by the sounds of it due the fact i had to work, oh well have to make the hull/steelers game for sure

Completely loved Matt Miller on saturday! What a fab find for the Devils! Looks like he's going to be another fan favourite with his skills! Definatley gonna be in my top 3 I think!

Also, It has to be said, I think that Smithy done quite well seeing as though he had only stepped off the plane that morning! Gotta admire that guys stamina! :)

Neither Smith or Jay really, he too big and strong for that to be a direct comparison, but he is the type of player we have been missing for a while, closer to Sly IMO, but with a big burst of speed and a scoring touch. The sort of forward Belfast and Nottingham seem to get but we never do.