Mask wearing/drunks in your block at IAW

Mazzoak

I was speaking to a person on Friday who is from South Africa, his family are still there. What he was saying is that the new variant hasn’t been as deadly, but it’s rampant and those who had Covid have it again.

The danger here isn’t lockdowns by Government imposed, but by the huge numbers getting it and needing to isolate. We could just simply not have enough well people to sustain businesses and infrastructure........

Earnie

There is obviously more activity by security regarding this topic and thank you to management for that. It is a very difficult issue to address but keep plugging at it chaps.
Bottom Block 19 (adj. 18) was approached by security regarding masks but like others have said they took it off again as soon as security were out of sight. General behaviour was fine.

I saw one of them return to block 8 pint in each hand, mask under his chin unable to hold a sneeze in and shower everyone at the front of the block. I’ve seen some pretty bad behaviour since this started but that was the worst I’ve seen,
His group of friends found it hilarious.

Hedd Wyn John

I’m getting cheesed off with what’s happening in our rink, you wait all week for the next match, and it’s against your fiercist rivals and then your main focus is on a bunch of pissed morons in block 20 not giving a toss about anyone except themselves. This lot were in sponsor seats, I counted 18 of them all sat together in row F one of them looked
at me because I had to say put your masks on, he then looked at me put it on and within 2 mins it was off again, these morons are spoiling the whole nights experience for many around me, and it’s always in block 20. Too be honest I’m getting to the point where I couldn’t care if I go or if I don’t, and after 35yrs I never thought I would say that, but you can’t focus on the game when others around you are content to mess with other peoples lives, the whole night don’t hold the same buzz for me anymore and those poor people who are surrounded by them selfish gets are having their night ruined. It’s every week in block 20 and many of them, they are told by stewards but totally ignore them, so for many like me Happy Hockey Days are a thing of the past and maybe my £1,400 could be better spent elsewhere, it’s just not the same place anymore sadly.
I believe that group was kicked out after one drunkenly fell on to a women in front and sent his mate flying down the steps.

I usually love going to the games but as of late, I hate going to games on a Saturday! Going to watch the Devils is the thing I look forward to every week. But these Saturday night games with all these 'LADS' has put a downer on things.
Something needs to be said by club officials, we don't want the rink to be shut down cause of idiots.

Hockeymad

The group in block 8 were clearly out for the night not for the hockey. Rightly so they got kicked out.

But also in block 8 was a bald guy with a long beard walking round with no mask on at all and nothing was said.

The club have a responsibility for the safety of it's patrons.
IAW is starting to become the "2nd biggest pub in Wales", after the Principality stadium.
More Saturday night games = more drinking and the consequences of that, no mask wearing, foul language, falling down stairs etc..
There will be a fight soon or even worse an injury to a young child or elderly person.
The club MUST act quickly on this as we are starting to lose the "family atmosphere" we have always been proud of.

Block 2 Row F, 6 guys wearing no masks all game, nothing happened not even a steward approached them, are there enough stewards ?

In all my years, since day 1, I have never seen such behaviour and lack of respect towards others in this environment. Even in the WNIR the drinking culture was never as bad as this, perhaps it was because we have more bars?

Stricter control of admission, where to drink and how to manage mask wearing must be reviewed before we get shut down or worse, someone gets injured.

Pembo

The group in block 8 were clearly out for the night not for the hockey. Rightly so they got kicked out.

But also in block 8 was a bald guy with a long beard walking round with no mask on at all and nothing was said.
He’s always pretty brazenly not wearing mask even while walking around with drinks chatting to people. Seems a bit of a non mask contagion effect happens that row. Plenty of mask ear dangling or under chinning! I still have some issue with staff in Ice Arena Wales mask discipline. When we went skating during the afternoon, including devils shop and reception staff/staff generally around arena, <50% staff in masks. Not sending message out that the “wear a mask signs” are anything more than window dressing.

I think one of the guys thrown out was wearing a white Jumper, if so I saw him being lead into the back of a police van outside Morrison's petrol station

Swarley

I think one of the guys thrown out was wearing a white Jumper, if so I saw him being lead into the back of a police van outside Morrison's petrol station
That really puts a bad light on the arena when drunks are ruining the game for others to the point police are waiting across the road for them... That is almost on par with football "fans" this needs nipping in the bud.

RedDevil17

As I was coming out of the arena I saw a police van going past me, was wondering why at the time but that obviously explains it.

That really puts a bad light on the arena when drunks are ruining the game for others to the point police are waiting across the road for them... That is almost on par with football "fans" this needs nipping in the bud.
Main difference with the football is that you are NOT allowed to take Alcohol into the seating area, so any "issues" are dealt with within the bar areas so keeping the non drinkers safe from any issues in the seats.
The other main difference is that you can get arrested at the football if drunk under section 2.(2) "either entering drunk or being drunk within the stadium". Generally the stewards down the city will not let you into the seating area if drunk, they will ask you to leave the stadium.

ASHIPP

IAW is starting to become the "2nd biggest pub in Wales", after the Principality stadium.
More Saturday night games = more drinking and the consequences of that, no mask wearing, foul language, falling down stairs etc..
There will be a fight soon or even worse an injury to a young child or elderly person.
The club MUST act quickly on this as we are starting to lose the "family atmosphere" we have always been proud of.

Block 2 Row F, 6 guys wearing no masks all game, nothing happened not even a steward approached them, are there enough stewards ?

In all my years, since day 1, I have never seen such behaviour and lack of respect towards others in this environment. Even in the WNIR the drinking culture was never as bad as this, perhaps it was because we have more bars?

Stricter control of admission, where to drink and how to manage mask wearing must be reviewed before we get shut down or worse, someone gets injured.
Really well put.

It's a worry that those very same game goers are now appearing every week.
I buy walk-up now I am no longer a season ticket holder and tend to sit in Block 15. Its a mixture of some regulars but mostly newbies, some with absolutely no interest in ice hockey.

For 3 consecutive home games, a small group of the same 3 or 4 guys are there acting typically like morons. They arrive at their seats as the puck drops, spilling beer as they try to pass people in the same row. They don't wear masks (maybe one with a mask under the chin?)., continously talk loudly, use bad language and keep filling their pints, getting up etc. The stewards constantly remind them to wear masks.. these lads just ignore the reminder and carry on. They think it's hilarious to imitate the chanting and singing in a moronic way standing up, blocking people's view.

What is going to be done about idiots llike this who couldn't give a monkeys that they are ruining peoples enjoyment of the game, the atmosphere, entertainment? No wonder some of us are considering stopping going to the games completely because it's simply not fun anymore.
Is this what the Club really wants?

.... And (for me) after 34 years of attending Devils' games. Even when things were at their very worst under Ragan, the BBT was NEVER like this (and a lot of alcohol was consumed then!)

Last edited:

pjj365

Our last in person game was 11/9 but there is only so many webcast I can take so as a Christmas treat we have tickets for 18/12

I'm begining to wonder if this is a good move. So relieved though we did not get STs this year

august04 2.0

I think most people used to pop to the bar for a pint in the period breaks or stay around the rink bar near skate hire. You never really had this mass drinking in seats culture in the WNIR. I’d love to return to that scenario. Most people were there for one reason, the hockey. You definitely can’t say that now. We're the first port of call for a night on the piss.

Hedd Wyn John

I think most people used to pop to the bar for a pint in the period breaks or stay around the rink bar near skate hire. You never really had this mass drinking in seats culture in the WNIR. I’d love to return to that scenario. Most people were there for one reason, the hockey. You definitely can’t say that now. We're the first port of call for a night on the piss.
I genuinely don't know how they get so drunk so quickly.