Man of the Match Awards

Thread starter #1
Who actually picks the Man of the Match awards this season?

Whoever does it, clearly has no clue about ice hockey and generally just looks at the scoresheet and picks from that, for both home and away team selections.

Picking Max tonight as Man of the Match just about sums up how bad the selections have been at times. Apart from his goal which he did take very well tonight, and a defensive clearance Max was non-existent tonight.

So just wondering who actually makes these decisions?

Dwoods said:

Whoever does it, clearly has no clue about ice hockey and generally just looks at the scoresheet and picks from that, for both home and away team selections.

Picking Max tonight as Man of the Match just about sums up how bad the selections have been at times. Apart from his goal which he did take very well tonight, and a defensive clearance Max was non-existent tonight.

So just wondering who actually makes these decisions?
At least whoever it is that does it is now choosing someone who has been on the ice!! At the start of the Season, whoever it was that made the man of the match selections managed to pick a Netminder that didn't ice for the opposition.

Whilst on the subject - How on earth did the late hitting cheap shotting Tanaka get the award for the Blaze tonight??

KaneDevils

Whilst on the subject - How on earth did the late hitting cheap shotting Tanaka get the award for the Blaze tonight??
According to MNL it was richly deserved?

21:31 - Great game from Cale Tanaka well deserved

Dwoods said:

Can say how its chosen, but your theory is some what flawed.

If you go back one game to the 22nd Of December, you will find a chap called cook as the MoM for the Devils, he has 0 points on the score sheet. While you are at it, take a look at the points of the Steelers MoM Thomas also a big fat 0.

http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/stats/offi ... me_id=1763

Gazza272

Can't see the problem with picking Max really.

He threw a couple of huge hits, especially the one on Harvey in the first , picked a sublime pass for Richardson's goal and got the 3rd himself.

Other than that he was no better nor worse than anyone else.

Given we only scored 3 goals and he was involved in 2 of them I would say he had a pretty big effect on the game.

kettdevil1

Ditto Tanaka for me, was a pest all night, he skated on the verge of legality a number of times but was clearly very influential for the Blaze.

I shake my head at some MOMs but I agreed with these two.

Skippy

KaneDevils said:

He was for me the best of a lackluster bunch ( yes Im aware they won) which is why I typed that.

He looked like he cared unlike many others on that team.

I notice no one has managed to suggest anyone else ? Just criticism but no suggestion of an alternative ?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

skippy said:
KaneDevils said:

He was for me the best of a lackluster bunch ( yes Im aware they won) which is why I typed that.

I notice no one has managed to suggest anyone else ? Just criticism but no suggestion of an alternative ?

Guthrie was easily my man of the match. To be fair Tanaka did play well I think its just the fact that he was cheap shotting left, right and centre that makes people say otherwise.

KaneDevils

skippy said:
KaneDevils said:

Wasn't criticising what you had typed Skippy, was merely pointing out to poster who questioned Tanaka's MOM. Wasn't at the game myself so have no idea who played well and who didn't.

Skippy

KaneDevils said:
Wasn't criticising what you had typed Skippy, was merely pointing out to poster who questioned Tanaka's MOM. Wasn't at the game myself so have no idea who played well and who didn't.
Cheers.. I didn't mean to sound like I was having a pop at your post. Sorry

Guthrie was easily my man of the match. To be fair Tanaka did play well I think its just the fact that he was cheap shotting left, right and centre that makes people say otherwise.[/quote]

Ahead of Tanaka, I would have put Ginand (never appeared to lose a face off), Guthrie (exquisite Short Handed goal) and I'd even throw Tait into the equation (marshalled the forwards well and took his opportunity when it came to win the game).

For me Tanaka should have been given 2+10 for checking from behind, about 5 seconds before Dean Smith Called the Devils for too many men. All in front of Smith - don't know how he can of missed it or more frustratingly interpreted it as anything other than through a through the numbers "check from behind".

Skilful players (and in My Opinion Players that warrant Man of Match Awards) don't have to resort to such underhand tactics - they let their skill do the talking. It's all to do with understanding the first concept of any Sport - to be played in a Sportmanlike Manner - as this is near the start of any sports rule book, few people ever read that far to fully appreciate the concept.