M. Smith Returns 2012/13

Fantastic news! Our D is shaping up very well. It was unfortunate we didnt get too see much of mark this season due to injury. Very happy he's back for another!
We are still in April and we already have 5 players signed up! I can't wait for the new season already! :lol:

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Koop11

Very pleased with the re-signing of Mark and how our D is shaping up already. We already have a similar line up to last season’s defence but with, IMO, a stronger netminder behind them.

Mark is not flash but does the little things better than anyone. Things that go unnoticed but it’s the shut down play, the shot blocking, and disciplined approach that makes Mark Smith a quality addition to any team. They say a sign of a good defensive defenseman is one that goes unnoticed, quietly doing their job. By the end of the night, you look at their +/- and you realise what a great effort they put in.

Welcome back Mark.

James

Administrator
Great news. Very pleased to see Mark back. As Koop says, he often flies under the radar and you don't notice the contribution he is making which is the sign of a solid d man. We are shaping up with a strong defence already and it's only April.

osh

With 3 D men now signed ( 4 if G is to play on D) we now have 4 imports signed. I would imagine we are probably looking at going with 1 more import D to make it 2 Brits and 2 imports on defence (with G as 5th D and assuming we sign Richie again) if that is the case, we would only be able to sign 5 import forwards. Any thoughts on this, and what format would be best i.e a 1st line of 3 import forwards & maybe 2 on a 2nd line, which would leave 3 Brits on a 3rd line.

We may also go for 2 imports and a Brit on both 1st & 2nd lines with an import and 2 Brits on the 3rd line. I'm unsure of the best combination and wonder which way G will go.
I would still like to see us sign an intimidating D man who clears the crease in front of the net minder and can step in when needed to help his team mates ( that leaves no room for Frank or VDV sadly who failed to do that last season) )plus it's always good to see a new face in the line up.

Excellent news :)

Having a players who can play to a role so consistently is vital in any team. His commitment to his job on the ice appears unwavering and it's a job he executes superbly. It's not just the amount of shots he blocks/break up plays he makes, but the key times he steps up to do it. :D

I'm expecting him to average 47.385 fights a season :lol:

osh said:
With 3 D men now signed ( 4 if G is to play on D) we now have 4 imports signed. I would imagine we are probably looking at going with 1 more import D to make it 2 Brits and 2 imports on defence (with G as 5th D and assuming we sign Richie again) if that is the case, we would only be able to sign 5 import forwards. Any thoughts on this, and what format would be best i.e a 1st line of 3 import forwards & maybe 2 on a 2nd line, which would leave 3 Brits on a 3rd line.

We may also go for 2 imports and a Brit on both 1st & 2nd lines with an import and 2 Brits on the 3rd line. I'm unsure of the best combination and wonder which way G will go.
I would still like to see us sign an intimidating D man who clears the crease in front of the net minder and can step in when needed to help his team mates ( that leaves no room for Frank or VDV sadly who failed to do that last season) )plus it's always good to see a new face in the line up.
I think there are merits/reasons for why it could go either way.

I'd be surprised if Batch was signed as a 6th d man again this season - unless he's said he wants to concentrate on his studies for the next couple of years, which is plausible.

Alternatively, if we're not signing any more import D it makes the case I was making for Batch to contribute toughness even more valid :)

I suppose there is still the possibility that Ritchie won't be back....

Finny

Delighted to see Mark back for another season. One of the most hardworking and under-rated defencemen in the league, when he was injured it was a big loss to us and we noticably improved when he returned.

How we've missed him this season....watching him play in the last few games reminded me of just how good he is. So pleased to have him back. Hope the Smith bros stay injury free this time - third season lucky?! :D

If we can keep Richie too, our defence will be as good as anyone's. Just need a few new players to do the business at the other end and we'll have a very competitive team :D

ASHIPP

Have we missed Smithy this season...damn right we have! Excellent news he will be with the Devils for next season. :D Mark is the best shot-blocker in the League and in his return for the last few games of the season made an immediate impact.

The Cardiff Devils without the Smith Brothers bolstering the defence is unthinkable! :shock:

wildthing74

I'm delighted with how the D is shaping up so soon into the off season and welcome Mark back as a key man in our back end.
I was very happy with the defence all year and they more than coped even after Mark was out for long periods.
These 4 plus Richie and Veeks would look a better unit than we had last year with Osear behind them.
Whilst a tough no nonsense D man like a Sawyer would be nice it's not the be all and end all.I don't see many of theses type guys at the bigger clubs and it's not done them any harm.Adams,Kenton and Veeks play with a nastiness and we have all seen Batch can step up so add that to the ultra calm and disciplined Mark Smith and Richie and I would back that unit against any team in the league.