Lyle signs 3 year Devils deal

R777GAB said:
sniper13 said:
No point trying to defend Phil Hill when it comes to schulersagoodun as we dont hear from him/her for weeks and the minute someone posts about phil he/she is there sticking his oar in. I was taking to Phil today in the gym (thats right he has started training already) and we were laughing about this "fan" he was saying " what do i have to do to impress someone I go from 10 points to 50 and its still not good enough". His brother reads the forum and passes feedback onto Phil.
I hope hes started traning as a Devil ;)
Ha ha thats not for me to say but dont worry if he does sign for someone else Ill drop 20kg on his foot :lol:

A

Anonymous

Ice hockey is a sport and like football players, I think hockey players will go where the best offer is, I dont blame anyone who leaves for more money, more experience and a chance of having a better life, who wouldn't...alot of people on here, I feel are blaming Stevie for deserting the Devils, really sad and not true, but Welcome back buddy. :) I've got my season family ticket :D

ASHIPP

Wannabe2 said:
Phil you have already impressed 99.9 % of us Devils fans, just keep up the great work mate, you had a awesome season and impressed most fans big time. Another season like last will be something else,One of the best brits in the league, your up there with the best, more of the same please.
That's so right, Wannabe2. Phil already IS a star but fans of other teams are too wrapped up in their own players to notice him. But that's Phil - he just gets on with it and does the important work without making a big show about it. It's been exciting watching Phil's emergence over the last few years - and we probably haven't even seen the best of him yet! Long may it continue and here's really hoping that Phil will be the next signing confirmed by Gerad. As long as he is on the Devils' roster, that's fine by us! :D

Wannabe2 said:
Welcome home Stevie, great to see you return to the club thats the closest to your heart. Dad Roy must be well pleased, as many many Devils fans are. Now we have a much better mix of brits on our roster, something that needed addressing, and that can only be good for our club. Great to see you back Steve, have a great season i for one think you certainly will.
Still not sure about this signing but as i have stated in a previous post willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as long as we win the League title ;), no pressure then - and as for Roy the dad be a sweetie and don't push in at the bar, we are here every week you know :|

There are to many bum lickers on this forum, and there is a certain poster who licks more than others it really does my head in mentioning no names of coarse,

theres no so called 'bum licking' done anywhere, people are proud of the team they love and they want to say so. Why should that be a problem, why would anyone need to? theres nothing to gain from it.

nmase20 said:
theres no so called 'bum licking' done anywhere, people are proud of the team they love and they want to say so. Why should that be a problem, why would anyone need to? theres nothing to gain from it.
I know there is nothing to gain from this, but some posters tongues are a lot browner than others and they have been for a long time now, i call them firms men and they won't have anything bad said about anyone in the Devil's ranks.

I have supported the Devils probably longer than most of the fans that go nowadays, but that is what i have done over the years and is a force of habit and nothing against the new generation of fans by any stretch, but over the years you tend to see who the brown tongues are and just ignore them, but lately there are even more dark tongues emerging from the background and that is a fact i would say a few names but you know who you are LM,AO

august04

I'm OK with this signing as I think we'll have to play a more entertaining and offensive style of hockey next season to challenge for anything. A bit of a gamble by Adams but I guess he knows how high the stakes are for him personally to do well. Scoring one or two goals per game and relying on your goaltender to stand on his head (as we did so many times last year) just won't win enough games next year. My gut feeling is that we're going to need a better back up nettie though.

ASHIPP

august04 said:
I'm OK with this signing as I think we'll have to play a more entertaining and offensive style of hockey next season to challenge for anything. A bit of a gamble by Adams but I guess he knows how high the stakes are for him personally to do well. Scoring one or two goals per game and relying on your goaltender to stand on his head (as we did so many times last year) just won't win enough games next year. My gut feeling is that we're going to need a better back up nettie though.
But who?

TheStub

august04 said:
How much would you want to blow on a back-up who will never get to play? Let's be honest, you would struggle to get a backup that people wont complain about. Unless you could tempt Craze too, and have a split in netminder duties.

Joe is a good netminder. If he faced more pucks he would be an excellent netminder, if the evidence of his few starts last year is anything to go by.

Unless we started doing the NHL thing of resting the main netminder more often, then the position of Elite backup goalie will never attract great keepers, or be something the fans are willing to see money thrown at.

To me, Lyle coming back looks like a shrewd move. I like to see Brits getting key positions, and it will strengthen our out player options next year. Lyle and Myers duo looks good to me.

ASHIPP

Joe was performing with much improved confidence in the few matches he played for the Devils last season. Hopefully he'll be given much more ice time this year to show how much he's developed. Unless you're someone like Nathan Craze who truly has stepped up, I feel sorry for the (often underrated) back up netties who never seem to get a long enough opportunity to prove their worth.
Lawrence, Woolhouse and Fone were good last year but there will be be a few Elite League teams hunting for No1 netminders for next season, let alone the backup netties!

ASHIPP said:
Joe was performing with much improved confidence in the few matches he played for the Devils last season. Hopefully he'll be given much more ice time this year to show how much he's developed. Unless you're someone like Nathan Craze who truly has stepped up, I feel sorry for the (often underrated) back up netties who never seem to get a long enough opportunity to prove their worth.
Lawrence, Woolhouse and Fone were good last year but there will be be a few Elite League teams hunting for No1 netminders for next season, let alone the backup netties!
The problem with this is that if Myers is in net and we lose people will soo get on his and G's back.

G's job is to do is very best to ensure we win every game, if thats means playing Lyle every game then that what he should do.

ASHIPP

R777GAB said:
ASHIPP said:
The problem with this is that if Myers is in net and we lose people will soo get on his and G's back.

G's job is to do is very best to ensure we win every game, if thats means playing Lyle every game then that what he should do.
I do remember Joe being criticised for a performance when losing the game was actually down to errors by the defensive unit. But as next season progresses, I wonder if G might give Joe more periods to play. At least then if he does have to step up for longer, he'll be showing the same confidence as last season. But if he has to play Stevie all game, every game for the Devils to achieve their ambitions next season, so be it.

TheStub

Prepping as a netminder is largely about facing pucks. Elite backups don't, and therefore don't improve, so we don't play them, they don't face pucks - it goes around and around.

Myers looks like a strong netminder, and made some good stops when he filled in for Aubry towards the end of the season.

It would be nice to start resting the number one minder in busy runs of games. But we need to have confidence in the backup minder first.

I would love to see more Brit minders in the league.

Kipper

There's rumours that Joe Myers might be going travelling and not be around next season. Not sure how true they are though.

The Devils could do worse than have young Mike Crisp from U18's/ENL as back up.He is a very talented NM and already does some training with the Devils.