Lacosta forced to retire!

Have Hope#35

Temme said:
Kinda expected this response.

I stand by it, I never for a minute thought he'd finish the season just a shame it was in this manner.

Happy to take plenty more flack so keep 'em coming.

@Kanedevils, refrain from personal attacks, from my experience they aren't tolerated on forums.

Paul, how are these MBA courses funded?

I'm doing a masters currently and the money (£7550 or so) goes out right at the beginning of September.

Or was it half now and half in January...
Yeah you expected the response because you knew how stupid your suggestion was... How you can suggest that someone who has suffered three concussions has an alteria motive like this is just ludicrous, maybe we'll see if the club can arrange a cat scan for you too? Don't you think that if he was really here just to fleece the club then he'd have done so after the first or second concussion as opposed to put himself through the risk of continuing to play?

There's been some absurd and awful comments on this forum lately but this one really takes the biscuit... If only people took a moment to think before they type on occasions... We're all entitled to our opinions and this is an open forum for debate, however in this case you are wrong and there is no topic to debate! For someone who's doing a masters I'd have thought that you'd have a bit more intelligence than you put across!?

Paul Sullivan

There are two funding options. Either the Club pays or the University sponsors the course.

As for which applies here, you would have to ask the geniuses who lost Cardiff Business School as a sponsor and picked up the Met (Brent's Alma Mater in their former UWIC guise). If only there were some motivation or ulterior motive for that happening to explain jettisoning the best education sponsor in the EIHL.

You probably deserve some form of recognition for your willingness to take flack. It's Impressive in a 'I know I'm wrong, I can't back up what I said, I stick by my conjecture but you have fun pointing out how crazy it is' kinda way.

Or are you also a professional athlete on a sponsored / partnership MBA that your team arranged for you and can therefore tell us exactly how DLC has rinsed the Club and us fans for his personal gain?

As has been pointed out, your 'sensitivity' to the situation DLC as a Devil and a human being finds himself in is staggeringly lacking in compassion, just so you can try to prove a fiction you created at the start of the year.

:DWD

Temme

Paul Sullivan said:
There are two funding options. Either the Club pays or the University sponsors the course.

As for which applies here, you would have to ask the geniuses who lost Cardiff Business School as a sponsor and picked up the Met (Brent's Alma Mater in their former UWIC guise). If only there were some motivation or ulterior motive for that happening to explain jettisoning the best education sponsor in the EIHL.

You probably deserve some form of recognition for your willingness to take flack. It's Impressive in a 'I know I'm wrong, I can't back up what I said, I stick by my conjecture but you have fun pointing out how crazy it is' kinda way.

Or are you also a professional athlete on a sponsored / partnership MBA that your team arranged for you and can therefore tell us exactly how DLC has rinsed the Club and us fans for his personal gain?

As has been pointed out, your 'sensitivity' to the situation DLC as a Devil and a human being finds himself in is staggeringly lacking in compassion, just so you can try to prove a fiction you created at the start of the year.

:DWD
Nah nothing athletic here I'm afraid! Sunday league football is pretty much where I draw the line!

I'm not for a minute going to suggest that he's rinsed the club successfully to get on the course as that is not something I'm in a position to comment on as that's not so much a matter of opinion, I think DLC has taken the right decision to retire in light of his persistent head injury.

Please do not misinterpret what I'm saying here, in my initial post the first thing I did before wandering off on a doubtful tangent was wish him all the best.

I recall a conversation when he initially signed that people of that calibre do not drop out of an nhl/ahl contract to study then come to Cardiff to further study. It just didn't add up at the start, and I know it was no secret that he was here for the year to study and spend the time with his wife.

Obviously on a previous page you yourself have proven this to be factually inaccurate, as there indeed has been a goalie of arguably better pedigree to sign on these shores in 96-97(?) if I recall checking it correctly!

'Opinion' is just that (not directed at you Paul), heck if I kept quiet every time I had an 'opinion' then it would be pointless posting. It has been interesting to say the least inure adding the responses.

Twice in one week I've been gunned down on the inferno for it! However I guess that's my fault for making this post in the first place, and suggesting which players could be dropped for joonas!

Somewhat off(on?) topic, I would be disappointed if Conway signs from Nottingham- he'll be out of a contract soon won't he?

ASHIPP

God you only have to read the tone of Dan's interview to see how devastated he is. He's a professional player who wants to play the sport he loves.You can see he genuinely wantso contribute to the team. The suggestion of any ulterior motive for his retirement is disrespectful to say the least. The guy has had repeated head injuries.

Ps Panthers' OS suggests Conway being kept for several more weeks yet.

Mooney#16

The point is the guy has worked hard in his career to reach levels many only dream of. He then responsibly started thinking about life after hockey and an education. No fault in that. He took a contract that let him utilise his skills to also better his future. No blame there.

What is now sad is that the guy had had retirement from a career and sport forced upon him through injury not given at a time and place of his choosing as most players would hope for.

You are being flamed for the shear crassness, nativity and self righousness of your posting. To grandstand at your self perceived wisdom in relation to another mans misfortune is nothing short of classless. The reason your posts have been attacked of late is because they lack thought and quality of content. Maybe address that for future reference.

James

Administrator
ASHIPP said:
Ps Panthers' OS suggests Conway being kept for several more weeks yet.
Conway hasn't had an illustrious showing at the tent an I wouldn't be bowled over to have him sign. I can see it might be financially sensible (no flights etc. which all add up) but I'd rather Poper pull another European gem out of the hat, whatever hat that might be. On that note there were some rumblings amongst the Panthers fans that Kowalski may not be back at all, not sure if others have heard anything?

osh

Temme said:
Kinda expected this response.

I stand by it, I never for a minute thought he'd finish the season just a shame it was in this manner.

Happy to take plenty more flack so keep 'em coming.

@Kanedevils, refrain from personal attacks, from my experience they aren't tolerated on forums.

Paul, how are these MBA courses funded?

I'm doing a masters currently and the money (£7550 or so) goes out right at the beginning of September.

Or was it half now and half in January...

That hole you're digging just gets bigger and bigger. To post in such an insensitive way as you did on such a very sensitive issue beggars belief. You are questioning a man's integrity at a crucial time in his career and I am sickened by such an attitude as yours. Engage brain before posting in future.

youngbob

I just hope Dan doesn't read this forum, because if I were Dan I'd be so upset that this thread should turn into what it's become

He's given a lot for this club, and could have given much more, but he's suffered career ending injuries, which would be devastating for any sportsman

This is not the time or place for point scoring

Have Hope#35

youngbob said:
I just hope Dan doesn't read this forum, because if I were Dan I'd be so upset that this thread should turn into what it's become

He's given a lot for this club, and could have given much more, but he's suffered career ending injuries, which would be devastating for any sportsman

Thankfully even Dan (if he reads this thread) would be able to work out that it's just one person being a complete and utter tool! Every other person has been compassionate and understanding in what must be a very difficult situation for LaCosta to deal with... I for one hope to see him continue in some capacity at the club!

youngbob

Have Hope#35 said:
youngbob said:

Thankfully even Dan (if he reads this thread) would be able to work out that it's just one person being a complete and utter tool! Every other person has been compassionate and understanding in what must be a very difficult situation for LaCosta to deal with... I for one hope to see him continue in some capacity at the club!
Agree with all that, just think there are times when the best thing to do would be to ignore, rather than respond, otherwise it becomes the centre point of the thread

Have Hope#35

youngbob said:
Have Hope#35 said:
youngbob said:

Agree with all that, just think there are times when the best thing to do would be to ignore, rather than respond, otherwise it becomes the centre point of the thread
Very true, just difficult to bite your tongue sometimes! At least everyone that responded were in full support for Dan though. Roll on Sheffield!

Ocko

Listening to the latest 'Coaches Corner' I'm not convinced we will be getting a new NM anytime soon. Pope indicates that he funds are not really there. I didnt like the sound of the part where he said he try and see where he can get the funds from; I hope no one gets gassed.

jimmy snels

To be fair to temme I know his words were pretty mis placed and its all conjecture but I kinda thought after his third period out with concussion that'd be him as he wouldn't fancy another. Not saying he hasn't been told to rest for an extended period but its not as if he's getting nhl money for us to put himself on the line and listening to some of the interviews dan did before he joined us it sounded like he was pretty much ready to call it a day before he received our offer, add three head hits and I thought he'd stop.

As for popes interview I would hope we would offer dan reduced terms to stay and use some of the money towards a new nm rather than gas a healthy roster spot? Its harsh but from a hockey point of view myres playing in net on an extended basis will not win us games and would effect crowds so something would have to be done

A truly Oscar worthy performance from Coach Brent.

Cynicism aside, I got the impression that they waited to hear Dan's decision, knowing what the club would want to do. This is when they were looking at financing that preferred option. When DLC announced that he was to retire, BP says they made him fully aware of their position, although wanting to do the right thing. The outcome was that they have the finances to exercise the preferred option, hence they are now looking at a new netminder.

It's my understanding that if a person retires, their pay ceases. It's not like sick leave or a period of injury. My guess is that DLC is off the books, although whether 'doing the right thing' involves a small 'pension' so he can eat remains to be seen.

His wife works, so even allowing them to stay in their accommodation would be a great help in assisting DLC complete his studies, but it would deplete the budget for his replacement.

BP says they'd already maxed out their resources so to be looking for a new goalie they must have freed some cash up somewhere.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Finny

I would have thought that as he received the injury whilst playing for us, we should pay him until the end of his contract?

voth26

Temme said:
Devastated for him. Such a shame for a guy with such a talent.

HOWEVER: (I'm going to get a right good slating for this)...

I said from the start to my friends (yes I have some!) that an NHL standard goalie would not come to Cardiff to play hockey. He's hear for education and has feck all interest in hockey. Why would he want to risk injury in a beer league playing for the shandy of all teams.

It just doesn't happen/figure. I smell a rat here...

Maybe his course has now been paid for so he has no need for hockey, maybe he can now pay it himself. I don't know, but I said this would happen from the start and have sadly been proven right.

I'm not disputing he was awesome when on the ice, and always gave his all. But there was no way he was going to finish the year with us, injury or not.

Happy to get a slating on here for being so negative, but if something looks too good to be true, it normally is.
What a load of claptrap, are you related to Zack!!! the guy has been forced to retire because of 3 hits to the head and you sprout this garbage of a post. how the hell have you been proved right? if he didn't have this injury dan would be in nets this weekend and every other till the end of the season. wow