Lack Of Physicality

I travel quite a way to come to the games, probably about half of the home games and tbh I'm bored. Myself and others that come up with me fell in love with the edge of your seat nature of the sport but frankly I'm bored with the lack of intensity. SOMEBODY HIT SOMEBODY!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Koop11

I think it’s unfair to throw we’re top of the league as an argument to the debate. Regardless of results, I think the suggestion is the brand of hockey is less entertaining compared to last year.
For me it’s not about fighting. It’s the lack of fore check, puck pressure and crease presence, getting in the goalie and defenders faces. We had 4 fights last week yet I thought we were out muscled for large parts of the game.
I’m thrilled we’re top of the league. Have I come away from the majority of games this year feeling satisfied I’ve been entertained – unfortunately not.

mazza03

Koop11 said:
I think it’s unfair to throw we’re top of the league as an argument to the debate. Regardless of results, I think the suggestion is the brand of hockey is less entertaining compared to last year.
For me it’s not about fighting. It’s the lack of fore check, puck pressure and crease presence, getting in the goalie and defenders faces. We had 4 fights last week yet I thought we were out muscled for large parts of the game.
I’m thrilled we’re top of the league. Have I come away from the majority of games this year feeling satisfied I’ve been entertained – unfortunately not.
+1

KaneDevils

+3

Although, I love the sport so much, I still find the boring games great. :oops:

As Koop says, throwing in "were top of the league" isn't totally relevant. Plus, its only October. The season has only just begun.

Ibbz9

It is a tough one. Lord, no doubt, wants to win a major trophy. The style of play and discipline has taken them to the top of the league so I very much doubt there will be much change this season. From a player point of view, they will not give one single thought about playing the physical game the fans want. They get into the locker room after a game and will be pleased with 2 points. That is their goal, nothing else. They are executing orders to a dime it would seem. Look at the history of the Elite League and most winning teams were not that physical or all-action.

So some people would be happy if we start smashing people about and losing as long as they come away entertained? I'm sorry but I cant see us changing style anytime soon. Lord is turning the BBT into an even harder place to win this year. It's no good having three scoring lines if we are killing penalties. I think if we start sliding down the league table then people may have a point about changing our style. To do it when we are getting results is for me laughable.

Ibbz9

I am pleased the way they have started. They look to be far better coached this season. Whilst hits and aggressive forechecking is great if it comes off, when it doesn't it leads to uneven match-ups elsewhere. Last season this cost the team goals and ultimately points. It seems that Lord, Elson and Franny have addressed this area. I would only consider it an issue if the team were struggling near the bottom of the league. I also read the change in play as being ready for the new arena. On Olympic ice, games will naturally be less physical. I think the team are setting up perfectly for the change.

august04

Ibbz9 said:
I am pleased the way they have started. They look to be far better coached this season. Whilst hits and aggressive forechecking is great if it comes off, when it doesn't it leads to uneven match-ups elsewhere. Last season this cost the team goals and ultimately points. It seems that Lord, Elson and Franny have addressed this area. I would only consider it an issue if the team were struggling near the bottom of the league. I also read the change in play as being ready for the new arena. On Olympic ice, games will naturally be less physical. I think the team are setting up perfectly for the change.
As much as I'm looking forward to getting in the new arena, I'm actually a little worried about playing on the big ice. 2 wins from 6 I think on big ice this league/cup campaign so far, not sure that's setting up perfectly for the change! I don't buy that we're far better coached this year either. We had much better balance last year and played to our strengths. At times, we've looked all over the place this season but we've somehow managed to get the win when being totally outplayed. Nottingham last week being a prime example. That win was down to Bowns, nothing else. Same in Belfast the week before. That'll only get you so far though, you can't keep relying on that kind of luck, eventually it will run out. It's great being top of the league and I hope we're there all season but I remain to be convinced by this Devils team.