La Costa Returns this Weekend

DevilDom

Some good news at last, provided this isn't an attempt to boost ticket sales ahead of Saturday before he is pulled out at the last minute!

James

Administrator
Saturday was when he was scheduled to return anyway. There is no 'definite' about the article either so I guess we'll see who skates out

DevilDom

James said:
Saturday was when he was scheduled to return anyway. There is no 'definite' about the article either so I guess we'll see who skates out
Was it? Where has this been said before? Anyway, lets hope he is ok to play. I don't see the point in rushing him for 2 relatively meaningless CC games. I guess I'm just a big fat cynic when comes to press releases like this after previous events!

drainage

James said:
Pretty sure Ive read it somewhere. Possibly G's programme pieces or his coaches corner
I thought I had seen something that inferred this weekend was due to be his return as well.....even though the CC games are meaningless now think we need the boost our first choice goalie back would give

Gazza272

drainage said:
James said:
Pretty sure Ive read it somewhere. Possibly G's programme pieces or his coaches corner
I thought I had seen something that inferred this weekend was due to be his return as well.....even though the CC games are meaningless now think we need the boost our first choice goalie back would give

Why are the CC games meaningless? surely our win over Hull makes us able to qualify at least 4th in the group?

Wannabe2

CC games are certainly not unimportant to the club, they are a big source of income, a income that a club like ours need big time.

DevilDom said:
James said:
Was it? Where has this been said before? Anyway, lets hope he is ok to play. I don't see the point in rushing him for 2 relatively meaningless CC games. I guess I'm just a big fat cynic when comes to press releases like this after previous events!

Its not cynism, it is realism given the previous history of press releases, eg:Voth to return to the ice meant he dressed and didn't partake, still it sold a few tickets eh

DevilDom

Gazza272 said:
drainage said:
James said:

Why are the CC games meaningless? surely our win over Hull makes us able to qualify at least 4th in the group?
I think these games are pretty meaningless because I reckon we need to beat Hull and / or Coventry at home to qualify for the next round. Ok, you could argue that the higher we finish the better but the point is we don't need to win these games to qualify. Therefore if there is any doubt at all I wouldn't risk him.

Koop11

Thread starter #11
CC is arguably our biggest competition. We must have lost thousands not qualifying the group stages last season and the club can ill afford to lose that kind of money again. It provides the potential of 3 extra home games. It is IMO the hardest cup competition to win.

With us always struggling to compete for a league title against areas team who have the finances to provide the depth of squad to compete season long, cup competitions are probably our best opportunities for silverware. Therefore, suggesting CC are meaningless is a little rash.

DevilDom

I never suggested the CC was meaningless, I suggested these games are relatively meaningless as we only need to finish 4th in the group to qualify for the next round. As we have already beaten Hull away we should now do that at the very least.

We play 8 games to knock out 1 team and probably need to win 2 of those 8 to get through. We have already won 1 and have 6 more chances to win the other 1. Therefore IMO these games are not as important as games in the future and if there is any doubt of La Costa he should not play. Again IMO.

The longer he sits out, the more he wastes our money and the more confidence he'll lose. If he's fit enough to play, let him play and boost any confidence that he may have lost. Besides, I may be pushing it but how awesome would it be to win both Steelers games with LaCosta in net and to go HA to Doyle for stepping away from the club in the first place.

ASHIPP

If Dan has been cleared as fit and he is willing to play then he should at the earliest opportunity irrespective of who the opposition is and what competition we're in. Dan will want to get back into his routine and build his confidence. There is still enough opportunity in the CC to get results without too much pressure on Dan at the mo.

Great news he's fit...even better if he can play. A massive welcome back Dan.