Key Player

voth26

Ithink for the devils it will be voth he really needs to stay out of the box and not take silly penaltys, if he can do this then he could be the key player

TheStub

I think it may be Matty Towe. We are expecting most of these imports to perform, but if Matt delivers like i belive he can we will have a team with incredible depth.

Lyle and the whole Defence for me! I think our offence will speak for itself so if we can keep the puck out of our own net we should do very well! Maybe even winning a couple of trophies this season!

It's very hard to nail it down to one player as every player brings something defferent to the team, and they're all key players in my eyes.
I have good reason to say Mark Smith, Jay Latulippe or Stevie Lyle. But after some thought I decided to say Voth.

1) He's our captain and our most influential player on the team.
2) He can rattle the other team with a big check etc.
3) He will protect his team mates, no matter who hes against.
4) He is an intelligent player.
5) He scores alot of points (considering his role)

... I appreciate that individual players can do some of the points above. Voth does it all, and that's what makes him one of the most wanted players in the Elite League.

Sliput

I agree with sdk BUT Brad really really needs to think before he does the dumb things that started to creep into his game last season.......to be a key player we need him on the ice not in the bin. There are a lot of new players in the league this season some of them seem to be windup/agitators and i can put money on that the first player they will be told about is Brad. He needs to rise above it and let other players deal with it,too many times in the last couple of seasons we fell apart once Brad was kicked out.

Agree about Voth. It is a very different situation when you are playing in a team who is one of the favourites for the title compared to when you are just playing for a midtable team. In the past we've seen Voth lose his cool against Coventry and almost single handed give the Blaze the game on a plate. Last season that wouldn't have really mattered as it is just another game but if he does that in a game against Nottingham next season, it could be a 4 point swing from a win to a loss which might be vital at the end of the season.

TheStub

I'm getting scared, I'm starting to agree with J.B.

Voth can be key, but he needs to avoid taking stupid penalties. I know I had the argument last season about Voth making clean hits and getting penalties - he really needs to avoid a dubious situations. e will get called for a lot less than other guys.

Also, whilst on the subject of stupid penalties - Jay needs to stay out of the box. He can only score whilst on the ice.

Wannabe2

On the other hand take away Brads natural game, and you have a different player, a player like most teams will have, and not the player the other lot want. Yes Brad sometimes loses it, but very often he is penalised due to the fact he single handedly hits like most other teams hit with there whole squad. Brad has been brought back season after season due to what produces on the ice, if you want a different player, then sign a different player, its as easy as that, and thats not what the other teams would love him for. Brad is Brad, love him or hate him, he is unique and therefore shouldnt be moulded into someone else.Thats my take on it, we never wanted Waresy or Big mack to be shackled, so why shackle Capt Fantastic. The other lot would love that mind.

TheStub

The trouble is, he gets picked on for it. He is an amazing player, hits like a train and scores goals at the important times.

But, he needs to not loose it. He is the captain, and a lynch pin in the team. This year, we have more depth on the bench, so when he takes the penalty we have a guy to step up, and not start double shifting.

I don't want Voth to change, but sometimes I'd like him to show some restraint.

To me, we really need Jay to keep his temper. Voth generally takes good penalties, but Jay seems to take bad ones. Generally you can defend the power play for a good pen, but you struggle on a bad one. Isn't psycology great?

Wannabe2

As for key player, this season we have so much talent signed up, where the hell would you start. Lyle in net maybe.
Smithy tearing defences apart maybe.
Maxi back to the player who could turn games maybe.
Romfo controling the D maybe.
Hilly having another awesome season maybe.
Miller with speed skill and toughness maybe.
Jay having an even better season than last maybe.
Richardson proving he is as good on D as any import maybe.
Towe having a complete break out season maybe.
Voth leading like he has never leaded before maybe.
G showing he has lost nothing even though 3rd line maybe.
Or Stoney maturing like a good wine maybe.
Michel showing what we have all got to look forward to maybe.
Hartwich having his best season ever maybe.
Jarvis scoring even more goals this season, and having a blinder maybe.
Who will be key, probably everyone when we pick up 2-3 trophies this season.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Key Player.......Gerad Adams.
Being the team's coach he will have the greatest influence on the way we play. If it does not change from last season then I feel despite some improvements in personnel....we'll ultimately disappoint.
No.2 key player......Lyle. I'm already holding my breath!!!! A dubious signing to put it mildly.

voth26

Wannabe2 said:
On the other hand take away Brads natural game, and you have a different player, a player like most teams will have, and not the player the other lot want. Yes Brad sometimes loses it, but very often he is penalised due to the fact he single handedly hits like most other teams hit with there whole squad. Brad has been brought back season after season due to what produces on the ice, if you want a different player, then sign a different player, its as easy as that, and thats not what the other teams would love him for. Brad is Brad, love him or hate him, he is unique and therefore shouldnt be moulded into someone else.Thats my take on it, we never wanted Waresy or Big mack to be shackled, so why shackle Capt Fantastic. The other lot would love that mind.
Dont want to take Brads natural game away because then we wont get everything we get now, and your right that's why he's been the biggest fan favorite for a very long time but you have to admit that the silly pms he takes can and have cost us,if he can cut these down happy days and without a doubt brad is loved by all the devils fans regardless

Sliput

Wannabe2 said:
I agree with you Wannabe in parts....but skating across Tait with elbow/shoulder high wasnt part of his natural game....slashing the Sheffield player in the back of the knees wasnt part of his natural game...they were stupid actions that cost us Brad for a lot of games. I agree Sheffield got all hysterical about it and the bans were pathetic BUT he still had to serve them and he didnt NEED to do what he did.

I love Vother as much as the next Devils fan and my heart pounds when he is about to do a big ''legal'' hit but there are certain instances he just needs to maybe think about.

I disagree with you about the slash to the back of the legs on dagenais, dagenais performed a dangerous action for the second time on a devil and voth responded to it, the slash was nothing, it was taken completely ott. It was something that might not even have been called in other circumstances.
He does need to stop taking some of the silly penalties but you cant take away what voth is like wanabee said, i don't think we saw much of the voth that we like to see after his ban last season and i'd like to see that come back.

Koop11

Agree with nmase20. Voth’s actions, right or wrong, were not unprovoked. Dagenais is not renowned for being a dirty player but that was the second time in 12 months that he through a dangerous hit on one of our players and this time it was on our first line centre.

After Voth’s over the top ban, a couple of months following he was forced to play a low impact game which is not his style. As a result, he was pretty average out there. After Christmas he gradually brought what he does best back to the ice and was as influential as ever. For that I completely agree with Glynne’s point.

Having said all that there are some very good points about Voth’s temperament that I agree with. He is a marked man and it certainly appears that the league is buying into the antagoniser style player so he must show restraint and not take some of the more avoidable penalties. If Voth can try not to bite, play his high impact game and step up when others take liberties then you have the perfect role expected of our captain.

With regard to the key player well you can apply that to all the guys in the squad. Whilst everyone has their role, I would say Lyle, like any goalie on any team, is the most important position on the ice. I personally think Miller’s impact on that first line will determine how well it performs. We all know when Smithy and Max are on song they are outrageously good but I feel Miller’s influence can make a good line into the best line in the league.

Chris

Administrator
I'm thinking...

Mark Smith on the 1st line, on paper we've improved in our scoring ability from last season, so our 1st line centre needs to really produce, infact the whole 1st line needs to, but after the disappointment of Hinks last season, Smith needs to produce something ace this season...

Voth on the 2nd line, he might take some stupid penalties, but it's not very often he plays a bad game, last year he seemed to be playing under the burden of the stupid ban he had at the start of the season, hopefully that won't happen again this season. He's our captain and one of the biggest players on the ice, he needs to stay there to drag us through any bad patches.

Towe on the 3rd line, if he can find that scoring touch it'll make our 3rd line a credible threat with Adams and Michel providing some space for Towe. We saw some flashes of what he can do last season, just need it to happen more regularly :)

The availability of Davies to step up, potentially to the 1st line again after seeing how well he played with Elich, and Hayes to step up to the 3rd line I guess is also going to be key.

It's hard to say who the 1 key player would be, instead it's going to be a big team effort.

Chris.

ASHIPP

For me it's a no-brainer - 3 key players:

1. Gerad. His decision to continue playing will not only add flexibility and toughness to the team, but leadership, motivation and the ability make decisions by seeing exactly what is going on out on the ice. We saw the positive affect he had when he returned to the ice to cover injury last season. More of the same, please G!

2. The Vother. Brad does not need to fight. His very presence is intimidating enough for other teams. Would love to see the free-flowing, point scoring, team motivating Captain of 2 seasons ago. Being binned and banned simply demoralises him....and the team. If he can stay out of the box and stay fit, his ability/leadership will be a major contribution to success.

3. Stevie Lyle. We are lucky next season with some of the best point scorers around in our M line. The 2nd and 3rd lines are going to be so difficult to play against. There won't be a shortage of our goals - most of those guys are consistent.
That can also be said about our defence unit - if not at the Devils, then certainly consistent in their previous teams (Ritchie and Scott). Our d looks to be a more offensive one this year, which means that the goalie will have to be at the top of all aspects of his game i.e. one on one, penalty shoot-outs, penalty kills on pp.
Stevie is a very good goalie, but some of the Giants' games last year involved a lot of goals being scored by the opposition. Luckily they had some awesome forwards who could score when neccessary, and we have the same next season. Many of our games were low scoring by the opposition reflecting our tight defence. Hopefully we can replicate that this year - but it requires consistency from the goalie as well as the d unit.