Kevin Raine hit

Devils86

How can a professional league that wants to be taken seriously in Europe and further afield have a player safety and disciplinary department that allows the larger clubs to pay for justice and those who can't afford it have to suffer?

Awful hit. Hope Raine gets some on-ice justice if the league won't step up.

Just as surprised that McNally didn't get a ban for his tackle against the Panthers.

The league have the ability to watch all games from a multitude of angles - player safety is the most important part of the game if you want to attract decent players. Let's hope the league gets back on its feet financially quickly and sorts itself out - and Todd needs to be front and centre of improving things. He's clearly respected amongst the owners and is best placed to show them how it's in their long term interest to fund a proper DOPS.

moggy#9

How can a professional league that wants to be taken seriously in Europe and further afield have a player safety and disciplinary department that allows the larger clubs to pay for justice and those who can't afford it have to suffer?

Awful hit. Hope Raine gets some on-ice justice if the league won't step up.

Just as surprised that McNally didn't get a ban for his tackle against the Panthers.

The league have the ability to watch all games from a multitude of angles - player safety is the most important part of the game if you want to attract decent players. Let's hope the league gets back on its feet financially quickly and sorts itself out - and Todd needs to be front and centre of improving things. He's clearly respected amongst the owners and is best placed to show them how it's in their long term interest to fund a proper DOPS.
This raises an interesting question: does the league still have the capabilities such as multi camera angles and goal line review that were previously out in place for every team in the league?

To be honest, some of the goings on with regards to the running of the league lately don't exactly fill me with confidence. The low profile of dops and the 19 player limit being two examples.

terry hunt

It is pretty obvious that nothing is being done about this or other issues concerning sports fans.
The only thing that our leaders in all areas of life care about is returning back to normality and pretending Covid has gone away.
Lets make money as fast as possible.
Just hope that people you really care about survive.

Ocko

I don’t think it’s the worst hit in the world.

For a bit of balance the Schiestel hit on Murphy was just as bad for me and even caused injury. I didn’t see two pages of Devils fans moaning that it wasn’t called.

To me it’s just bigger guy hitting smaller guy open ice. If that hit is a suspension you might as well remove open ice hits from the game.

Temme

I may be in the minority here, but this is a good, hard, clean hockey hit on someone that's got his head down looking for a puck.

Raine does not target the head, nor is it the principal point of contact. He checks chest with upward momentum.

The whiplash effect on the head of Carrigan makes it look a lot worse and the rising hit will make people think it's charging, but the much taller Raine does not leave his feet.

RedDevil17

I may be in the minority here, but this is a good, hard, clean hockey hit on someone that's got his head down looking for a puck.

Raine does not target the head, nor is it the principal point of contact. He checks chest with upward momentum.

The whiplash effect on the head of Carrigan makes it look a lot worse and the rising hit will make people think it's charging, but the much taller Raine does not leave his feet.
You are definitely in the minority

Rempel16

I'll join your minority. My only feeling was that it was slightly late. Raine didn't need to make it.
No problem with the actual contact though.

moggy#9

I don’t think it’s the worst hit in the world.

For a bit of balance the Schiestel hit on Murphy was just as bad for me and even caused injury. I didn’t see two pages of Devils fans moaning that it wasn’t called.

To me it’s just bigger guy hitting smaller guy open ice. If that hit is a suspension you might as well remove open ice hits from the game.
Hmm, I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Firstly with regard to the schiestel hit iirc the various replays showed a player not otherwise under pressure and a hit where the original point of contact was not the head.

In this case the player in question appears to be battling for the puck with another giants player, then Raine hits from an angle that the hit player couldn't see and with an impact that, from the limited camera angle, appeared to be to the head.

To be honest I think that the new standards in checking (i.e. once the puck is gone you can't check) as opposed to the 3 second time, will do more to take checking out of the game.

E.D.S.

Yeah I see it as a direct hit to the head. The size difference for me, means he hits the head and the body but the key thing for me is that its the head that gets caught. I don't see the principal contact being the body. Vother was a classic at this. He didn't always get low enough to do body to body or should to shoulder. I think Raine had enough time to adjust and didn't.

moggy#9

Maybe it's the camera angle, I'd like to see a better view, but it looked like context to the head to me.

E.D.S.

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Firstly with regard to the schiestel hit iirc the various replays showed a player not otherwise under pressure and a hit where the original point of contact was not the head.

In this case the player in question appears to be battling for the puck with another giants player, then Raine hits from an angle that the hit player couldn't see and with an impact that, from the limited camera angle, appeared to be to the head.

To be honest I think that the new standards in checking (i.e. once the puck is gone you can't check) as opposed to the 3 second time, will do more to take checking out of the game.
Agree. This isn’t a case of a player having his head down skating with the puck to the middle of the ice. This is a guy scrapping for the puck so will naturally be looking down. He was a sitting duck.

Last edited:

kettdevil1

I am the minority as well, if Max Birbraer had delivered that hit we would all be applauding. It's borderline for sure and as it's Belfast I really want to say it's a ban but..... if we don't like this one then we must revisit the Schiestel hit and quite a few others..... hockey is a physical sport, targeting the head is unacceptable but this, just about stays on the right side of the line

moggy#9

I am the minority as well, if Max Birbraer had delivered that hit we would all be applauding. It's borderline for sure and as it's Belfast I really want to say it's a ban but..... if we don't like this one then we must revisit the Schiestel hit and quite a few others..... hockey is a physical sport, targeting the head is unacceptable but this, just about stays on the right side of the line
As I've mentioned elsewhere on the thread, this is a different situation to the schiestel hit. I would like to see this from different angles, but what I can see concerns me.

kettdevil1

Kevlar68

No fan of any team has ever said one of their own should get a ban.
We know our own player has made an awful hit but we'd never say they need banning.
Fans will always call out opposition players hits.
When scheistel made that hit I bet not one of us said he should get banned.

august04 2.0

No point comparing this hit to Birbraer and Schiestel or anyone else from years past. It’s a head shot and they’re not acceptable anymore, whether you think someone has got their head down or not, or whether they’re bigger or not. That is irrelevant now. Do I like an open ice hit? Yes, always loved them. Always loved fighting too but the game has changed, for better or worse. As the game is right now, that should have been a suspension for a clear check to the head, simple as that.

Gisland

IF Dundee players had a gripe with Raine, they had ample opportunity last night to front up. As some have mentioned here in the past, the players will, when they feel the need to, police the game.

For me, it was a hard hit, a taller guy coming in fast, a smaller player with his head on the incline gets dinged. One thing I did notice, Dundee appeared to target Boucher from very early on in the game, right to the last play. If Pacha sent his players out with the intention of seeking retribution on what is a "slightly built" skilled player then that's low. Can't say for sure but it was noticed from a few of us.

Still, it was good to have live hockey, have a few pints, say hello and catch up with everyone... Plus they checked everyone in our group for vaccine proof, all 27 of us..!!

Such a shame some will never get to experience hockey night again....