Kelly gone? - Club Restructure

I don't really know what to make of some of the negativity Glynne, but having said that two restructure so close together ? Is that admitting you got the first one wrong or is it keeping your finger on the pulse and changing before a situation worsens ?

A

Anonymous

With respect wannabe, everyone is allowed an opinion, wether he's been signed up to the Inferno for 1 month or 1 year.
If I had of posted what you did I'd most likely get the "post somewhere else if you don't like it," old chestnut.

Which way to equality :?:

Gazza272 said:
My guess is that Brent And Stevie Lyle will be picking up some extra roles. But reading the release i'm guessing we cant afford anyone full time?
Perhaps G's wife? She is arranging ladies night and has lots of experience in marketing roles. ????

Don't flame me for bringing up the good old days.

The glory years for the Devils were based on volunteers and that can be done again with positive leadership. A mixture of volunteers and highly paid staff does not work.

I enjoyed my years and I am sure that the others who worked so hard for the club will say likewise. OK I was fortunate enough to be able to put in those long unpaid hours and if I was younger and with a bit more time I would do it all over again.

Maybe I should help out more but as they say once bitten twice shy.

OJ

Given our summer, this season was always going to be about survival and if going into financial lockdown is how we get through this, then so be it.

Looking at Twitter, the players don't seem to be worried, so I'm not.

Let's hear what is said tomorrow before we jump off any cliffs in despair.

Nott Simpson said:
Don't flame me for bringing up the good old days.

The glory years for the Devils were based on volunteers and that can be done again with positive leadership. A mixture of volunteers and highly paid staff does not work.

I enjoyed my years and I am sure that the others who worked so hard for the club will say likewise. OK I was fortunate enough to be able to put in those long unpaid hours and if I was younger and with a bit more time I would do it all over again.

Maybe I should help out more but as they say once bitten twice shy.

OJ
That is what I was meaning by coordinator, positive leadership, the problem is that the club have moved away from volunteers and a lot of them feel like you OJ, once bitten making it more difficult for good people to get involved

drainage

As sad as it is to see people lose jobs it's the way of the world these days ...... It happened to me and I have no doubt I am far from alone.

Re volunteers yes maybe that's an avenue that should be explored but I can't help thinking the summer has left us seeing ulterior motives in everything that happens maybe there is just some sound business sense here this time ??

Sheincar

Nitra said:
Gazza272 said:
My guess is that Brent And Stevie Lyle will be picking up some extra roles. But reading the release i'm guessing we cant afford anyone full time?
Perhaps G's wife? She is arranging ladies night and has lots of experience in marketing roles. ????
In the past the club's been run by Mr & Mrs Bob, Mr & Mrs Matt so why on earth shouldn't Mr & Mrs Paul get their hands dirty for a change. If Nina's prepared to help out as well then brilliant.

I'm not sure if this warrants a seperate thread but as it's been mentioned on this one a couple of times could we just clarify how many "volunteers" the club has.
By volunteers I mean people who do something for the club and get absolutely nothing in return apart from a warm fuzzy glow. If you get a season ticket, match tickets, discounted tickets or any financial reward, no matter how small you are not, in my opinion, a volunteer. Lots of people do stuff for the club, especially on match nights. How many do it for nowt?

DevilDom

drainage said:
Re volunteers yes maybe that's an avenue that should be explored but I can't help thinking the summer has left us seeing ulterior motives in everything that happens maybe there is just some sound business sense here this time ??
I agree. In these troubled economic times you have to cut your cloth accordingly. PR has obviously decided that the cost of employing the people involved is not generating the revenue needed to at least cover them. Simple if harsh maths. I had a lot of time for Kelly and really hope she finds something else quickly.

As for the re-structure I hope PR has looked at the successful models at Belfast and Nottingham and bases it on them. We need a Hockey person who knows how things are done in this country, can fight our corner when needed, help attract new players and most importantly keep sponsors and fans happy. Its a big remit for one person so they will have to use volunteers and if what I read on here from a lot of people is genuine there should be no shortage of them.

Time to rally around the flag and move onwards and upwards. Dam I'm starting to sound like Wannabe! :lol:

Russky

It seemed to me that PR was alot more 'hands on' and involved than I had seen him on Matchnight before, working alongside SH at the Merchandise stand and generally appearing to be busy during the game intervals.

I also noted after a marked period of absence, the return of someone in the Lucy Fur costume circulating around the rink! I knew it wasnt the original Lucy Fur but an effort was made by the person concerned!

I guess that a whole lot more willl fall on Brent's shoulders and whilst he is very good at what he does, he cant do it all on his own!!! This leaves me wondering who is going to step into the gap left by Simon and Kelly?

Finny

I've also noticed that CDSL are getting a page in the programme again, presumably a sign the club are working with them again?
Also Bobs Tours were advertised over the PA system so perhaps the club is realising it needs to work with people who are offering to help in various ways.

CDSL are now selling programmes, 50/50 tickets, chuck a pucks and club merchandise on match nights. As Sheincar said on another thread, names are being taken for ladies night on the desk - and the player of the month is being arranged by CDSL.

I may have forgotten something(s), but I'm sure somebody will put me right if so!

I think the club has realised the help that can be gained from utilising volunteers, which can only be a good thing!

Koop11

I think there is an opportunity for the club and for many people here. At these difficult times, many people are out of work and are struggling to compete with the few jobs that are advertised. To better themselves, people will be looking of opportunities to undertake voluntary work. The opportunities for marketing, project management and customer relations that can come with some of the off ice duties will be very useful for people’s CV’s.

From a club point of view, there is of course a massive saving to be made in relying on voluntary workers rather than employed staff. The advantage of offering voluntary work to people with interest in the Devils means there will be a shared goal. There will always be personalities as there are in any type of work but if there could be a coordinator of some sort, there role could help to manage any issues.

ASHIPP

Koop11 said:
I think there is an opportunity for the club and for many people here. At these difficult times, many people are out of work and are struggling to compete with the few jobs that are advertised. To better themselves, people will be looking of opportunities to undertake voluntary work. The opportunities for marketing, project management and customer relations that can come with some of the off ice duties will be very useful for people’s CV’s.

From a club point of view, there is of course a massive saving to be made in relying on voluntary workers rather than employed staff. The advantage of offering voluntary work to people with interest in the Devils means there will be a shared goal. There will always be personalities as there are in any type of work but if there could be a coordinator of some sort, there role could help to manage any issues.
What a great post. If PR, Brent, Paul (Sullivan), Stevie or anyone from the Club is reading this thread, would hope that our comments and thoughts are passed on swiftly to the Club. They should be assured that there are many people out there who would willingly dedicate their time and efforts and do whatever they can to help our beloved Club thrive.

All the Cardiff Devils organisation needs to do is ASK FOR HELP AND SUPPORT of fans, and they will get a good response.

This isnt a look at me post just gives you an idea of the G ORG.

TK runs the show with two full time staff and his wife( :D ) he often post on KOTG looking for volunteers etc also ST holders were emailed about volunteering, beleive they had over 100 people turn up and offer to help.

The Giants do have strong competion from other sports Rugby obviously Ulster, local football(unlike the rest of the UK local football attracts big crowds) also GAA.

TK usually tries to organise games that dont clash with these other sports so maximising crowds.

Sponserwise the Giants are about the only team (maybe URFC) that are seen as totally x community so that is really helpful in bringing in sponsers that like to be associated with that.

Theres loads more but i wont bore you too much :D

James

Administrator
I believe Nottingham is run with similar staff overheads. If the 2 biggest clubs in the country can do it I fail to see why the smaller clubs can't.

Finny

jester said:
The Giants do have strong competion from other sports Rugby obviously Ulster, local football(unlike the rest of the UK local football attracts big crowds) also GAA.
What are you classing as big crowds? Can't imagine them being bigger than what Cardiff City FC attract?

What do you think has been the major change jester for Belfast from a couple of years ago when they were having to take handouts from the EIHL to even start the season?