Keefe and Quinney Bans

Thread starter #1
Ivory Towers verdict is in

Belfast Giants forward Adam Keefe has been handed a four-match ban following an incident in his side's match at Cardiff Devils on Thursday 17th October 2013.

Keefe was assessed a match penalty for checking to the head in the second period (27:43) but, after a review by head of discipline Moray Hanson, this has been changed to a match penalty for charging (under IIHF rule 522b).

Hanson said: "After consulation with the match officials and after studying the game tape at great length, I have come to the follow conclusions.

"The total suspension handed out to Keefe is four matches because of the distance he traveled, the very dangerous action which was unnecessary and the violent check on his opponent, causing an injury which could have been avoided."

Keefe will miss the following games:
1) Sheffield Steelers v Belfast Giants – 20th October 2013
2) Belfast Giants v Nottingham Panthers – 25th October 2013
3) Braehead Clan v Belfast Giants – 26th October 2013
4) Belfast Giants v Cardiff Devils – 2nd November 2013

In addition, Cardiff defenceman Rupert Quiney has been handed a match penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, under IIHF rule 550(f)2.

Quiney was initially awarded a 2+2+game misconduct for leaving the players' bench in the second period (27:43).

Hanson said: "Any player who leaves the benches during an altercation will be awarded a minimum one-match suspension."

Quiney will now miss his side's game at Coventry Blaze on Saturday 19th October 2013.

So nothing for being a repeat offender in the same season!! Hanson - you're as clueless as Hicks

What message dies this send out about avoidable cheap blind side hits to the head resulting in a fellow professional getting injured???

Gaz G

Re: Keene and Quinney Bans

This is a perfect example as to why I dont bother coming to games anymore. It simply isn't on a level playing field. If Conboy had done that he would have had about 10 games.

Ocko

To be fair at the time I was on the fence as to whether he led with his elbow/arm or whether it came up afterwards. In the reply Keefe's arms are at his side I think, only after the impact does it come up. It doesn't take away the fact it was still a dirty hit and deserved a ban, only now he isn't a repeat offender for charging; he had only been banned for checking to the head - a completely different call.

Thread starter #4

Gaz G said:
This is a perfect example as to why I dont bother coming to games anymore. It simply isn't on a level playing field. If Conboy had done that he would have had about 10 games.
The perks of playing for an arena team?? I think you're right Gaz. These people shouldn't know the meaning of consistent decisions of their lives defended on it.

And as for the message this hard nosed discipline regime has brought in this season - it seems Arena teams have been issued with "get off lightly cards"

Russky

That is ridiculous, Keefe should have got 6 games at least for a repeat offence. To change the terms of the Penalty to a deemed less serious one of charging in order so he can give Keefe a 'lighter' punishment a total travesty of justice. Also to further add to Quiney's deserved and justified game penalty smacks of 'lets see how we can further punish the Devils'. Really it smacks of favouring the big arena teams and punishing the so called 'smaller' teams.

devils2001uk said:
is it a coincident that his ban finishes just after Belfast play us again ?
No we play you the next night in Belfast as well.

Correct call. Like I thought the hit was dangerous but not to the head and no elbow involved. 4 games for 1st offense of charging.

Thread starter #8

Ocko said:
To be fair at the time I was on the fence as to whether he led with his elbow/arm or whether it came up afterwards. In the reply Keefe's arms are at his side I think, only after the impact does it come up. It doesn't take away the fact it was still a dirty hit and deserved a ban, only now he isn't a repeat offender for charging; he had only been banned for checking to the head - a completely different call.
Which is an amazingly convenient change of circumstances or interpretation of the events.

Our most senior Elite League referee called Match Ban for Checking to the Head. I'll grant the incident was far too far away for Hicks to have seen the incident (more than 15ft), but the video clearly shows the Lino who had a clear view and it is likely the Hicks relied heavily on the Lino's interpretation of events, when making the Match Penalty call.

Hanson has Keefe's actions to view for a second time in a matter of weeks - needs to find someway to help the Arena team, so they don't have to be without their role model captain for any longer than absolutely necessary.

If he treats it as Check to the Head (which is what the Lino and Referee considered it to be - after all they had first hand experience of the incident - not a video from one view point. Let's not forget that Hicks and the Linos could have made the call of Charging, BUT THEY DIDN'T) then Hanson would have to regard Keefe as a repeat offender - suspension tariff goes up to where most right thinking people believe the suspension should be.

Conveniently for the Giants, Hanson cooks up an alternative adjudication, which means he can't treat Keefe as a repeat offender, which means that the poor hard done by Giants only lose the services of the beloved captain for the three games statutory for the offence Plus one game because (a) Hanson has to be seen as being someone not to mess with and (b) Hanson is getting a bit cross with Mr Keefe. :lol: :lol: :lol:

voth26

seems mr hanson DOESNT have the balls to make the big call all the time or rather chooses not to!!, how the hell can conboy get a 6 game ban for abuse of a lino, and keefe get 4 games for laying a player out cold on the ice with a check to the head having just come back from a 3 game ban for the same thing, oh wait after speaking to the official in charge (clearly not Hicks then) the penalty was changed to charging thus making it a new penalty and therefore keefe is not a repeat offender. I guess abusing a precious official is a much more serious a charge for mr hanson than a players racing around throwing late hits and leaving another player lying prone and not moving on the ice. You have just restored my faith in the ivory tower NOT

Gazza272

Hanson says the hit caused injury.

That injury was a head injury.

Because the check made contact with the head.

Hence Check to the head.

It's so simple.

Finny

Keefe's a very luck boy.

Won't be long until another similar incident though and they have to come up with another penalty to avoid him being a repeat offender.

Our most senior Elite League referee called Match Ban for Checking to the Head. I'll grant the incident was far too far away for Hicks to have seen the incident (more than 15ft), but the video clearly shows the Lino who had a clear view and it is likely the Hicks relied heavily on the Lino's interpretation of events, when making the Match Penalty call.
Or maybe neither of them saw the hit clearly but due the the player being hurt and the reaction to the hit by fans and other players thought it was checking to the head and so it was called.

Gord Baldwin kicked Jeff Szwez after he scored in Belfast. Szwez went after Baldwin and due to the reaction of the fans and players the refs made a call on Baldwin for slashing. They obviously never saw the incident clearly or Bladin would of been thrown out of the game. The officials reacted to what they thought might of happened which is wrong.

At least with video replays Hanson has changed the original call and made the right call on both occasions.

Thread starter #15
Gazza272 said:
Hanson says the hit caused injury.

That injury was a head injury.

Because the check made contact with the head.

Hence Check to the head.

It's so simple.
I am not medically trained, so perhaps someone out there can explain how it would be possible for a player to be out cold BEFORE HE HITS THE ICE if the contact is NOT to the head??

If this is possible, I would love to rub shoulders with Mr Hanson - again and again and again.

The guy is as close as it is possible to being a complete A*se and IMO has brought the disciplinary aspect of ice hockey into disrepute.

Convoy (Devil - therefore non-arena team) - 6 games for an "alleged deliberate" collision with an official
Keene (Giant - Arena Team) 4 games for laying out fellow professional out cold deliberately.

No shock.

EIHL and Hanson Consistency = 0 out of 10

What part of charging includes contact to the head first. It's a hit to the head in any book. The contact knocked Conboy out.
Sending out mixed messages here EIHL.
Head hunting season is now open. Keefe's head will look nice in the trophy cabinet.

But you know what! I don't pay good money to watch this type of cheap shot play in any team and I really don't want to see Keefe badly injured by a disgraceful hit like the one he delivered. The incident was scary, Conboy could have been seriously injured or paralysed. It has not place in the game we love. Yes it's a "Mans game" fair contact and fights take place.

Hanson has mad a disgraceful decision the guy should have got a much longer ban. There should be a line of appeal to a higher authority for the player and or club the offence was against. Question is there? would be good to see this one run!
Respect for player safety 0 out of 10
Before any one wants to start quoting past hits by Devils players, due time was served. No one raised any issues about their ban durations so just concentrate on the now!

It could be your guy next!

For a talented player that Keefe is he really doesn't need to sink so low.
One disillusioned Fan. Happier Hockey Days

Oh and safer!!!!!!!

Gaz G said:
This is absolutely disgusting, shows the league do not take player safety seriously!
Initially Hicks allowed Conboy to lay unconscious on the floor for 20 seconds, whilst the bench, fans and even some Giants players were trying to avert his attention, to which he had already seen and chosen to ignore!

If Hicks was unsure of the incident and/or didn't listen to the linesmen who apparently witnessed it, why didn't he look at the tv screens like all the fans, attendees at the rink? Having watched AHL games, frequently refs look at the replays to confirm/agree penalties, i'm not suggesting this for all incidents as they'd be long games but there was a stoppage in play to attend to Andrew, this would have provided an opportunity for this to happen?

Then the league dumb down this penalty or do not call another check to the head or it would be a repeat offender and maybe dealt with more seriously - or it would if it were a non arena team such as the suspension for Derek Campbell! If roles had been reversed and Conboy had done this to Keefe then I suspect a suspension similar to Derek Campbells would apply?!
The league are clearly condoning such dangerous play, how long will it be before there is a serious injury or worse?! - not saying concussion isn't serious!

Don't have an issue with Rupes penalty, glad he stepped up for a fellow player, thought Plumpton would have or would have later in the game?!!

In addition to player safety, there is a serious financial impact on non arena teams and the longevity of British Ice Hockey due to poor refereeing and/or EIHL decisions such as these! I know too many people who have stopped going to the Devils because the games have been spoilt by the 'Hicks / Darnell' shows and its clear that league will not improve the standard of refereeing!
This is going to seriously affect the finances of non arena teams, arena teams appear to be Teflon coated, and for the progression of British Ice Hockey.
Why will players want to sign for a non arena team when they see incidents like these and the bias by the league?

Its also sad that Belfast, Nottingham ... used to be good, skilful teams to watch and admire their play, sadly now despite having skilful players (Keefe included), they clearly want to win the league et al by any means necessary, not by playing to the best of their ability.

Its time for action ...something needs to be done, we had a similar incident last year with Coventry and the league, this cannot continue! Talking with fellow fans at the playoffs plenty are fed up, what's first cause of action ..online petition? Avoid the playoffs? ...............?

Wannabe2

This decisions sucks, if Conboy is out for 5 games or more he misses more games than the perpetrator, surely that can't be right. Myself I think Keefe was after revenge for what happened during the last encounter, Keefe is a tough guy asking Conboy out would have surley been a better alternative.

Temme

4 games for this is simply disgusting.
The officiating in this league is simply unbearable at times.
As someone above has said. He could miss more games due to the hit than the tool that delivered it.

On a side note- where has it been confirmed that he has a concussion? Or is this speculative...

It wouldn't surprise me if Conboy goes out there on the 3rd against the Giants and attempts to seriously injure Keefe- which wouldn't help is at all.

Feel sorry for Conboy, he's had a tough start to his Devils career but is still a player I'd love to keep.