Joey lewis

Johnnybravo1927

Thread starter #1
He is in the prelim GB squad, never heard of him before but I see he came through the ranks at cardiff and now plays in Germany. Is he any good? Good enough for EIHL?

He'd certainly be good enough for the EIHL but he seems happy in Germany and I can't see him coming back any time soon. He's been over there since he was around 16/17.

Currently plays DEL2 (took German citizenship to allow him to play as a non-import) which is pretty similar to the EIHL if not arguably better.

I thought it was weird he wasn't even considered for the GB team for the Olympic Qualifiers. Better to have a guy who's playing and scoring in DEL2 on a poor team, than taking players like Venus and Oakford who were there to make up the numbers and saw very few shifts. (Unless of course he was asked and turned them down).

youngbob

His brother Nicky also came through Cardiff junior development and actually played for Devils in mid 2000's

Nicky is with Invicta Dynamos NIHL, was playing in Cardiff a couple of weeks ago

Johnnybravo1927

Thread starter #4
Thanks for the info. Its interesting that Joey Lewis, Myers and Ben Davies all come through the juniors and are all good enough to play for us but dont. Such a shame

Wannabe2

Johnnybravo1927 said:
Thanks for the info. Its interesting that Joey Lewis, Myers and Ben Davies all come through the juniors and are all good enough to play for us but dont. Such a shame
Steelers captain Jonathon Phillips is also from Cardiff, Ely boy to be exact, and also came through the juniors.

wildthing74

Phillips on that list too was one of ours. We have brought so many players through over the years that went to play for GB just a shame some of them has their best years away from Cardiff.

Johnnybravo1927

Thread starter #7
Wannabe2 said:
Johnnybravo1927 said:
Steelers captain Jonathon Phillips is also from Cardiff, Ely boy to be exact, and also came through the juniors.

I forgot about him. Dont think it would happen now though, the junior devils ( my son plays) are thriving. Lots of interest particuarly in the under 9's

wildthing74

Just noticed Lyle too. Pretty crazy number of guys to pick considering a few have zero chance of going and the squad almost picks itself from that list barring injuries. Lot to be said for getting guys involved so they feel part of the set up by 37 is crazy.