Jack hopkins

moggy#9

I have sympathy for young Brits, but expecting any top team in a league like the eihl to play a 17 year old kid as a top 6 forward is deluded.

Last edited:

Kevlar68

Hockey isn't the only sport though, almost any high level sport hardly ever promotes youth so why is this such a big deal?
It's not a shocker really is it?
We have a great junior team but how many In reality will make it as a Devils?

Pembo

He looked really good for his age when he played against us earlier In the season when Panthers were short benched. I think he seems better prospect than Graham, and Graham is having a decent season. There’s not the number of young British players to run an OHL style under 23 league so I guess only option is to try and grow in NIHL and then use two way deals to train and play on occasions in EIHL. Main issue is the gulf in quality. Players who tear up NIHL numbers wise who barely register an EIHL point. There’s no easy solution to this while hockey remains a minor sport in this country as there isn’t the revenue generated to provide enough investment. Realistically a good UK talent will benefit from learning trade in youth leagues in countries with proper hockey infrastructure.

NathanG

He looked really good for his age when he played against us earlier In the season when Panthers were short benched. I think he seems better prospect than Graham, and Graham is having a decent season. There’s not the number of young British players to run an OHL style under 23 league so I guess only option is to try and grow in NIHL and then use two way deals to train and play on occasions in EIHL. Main issue is the gulf in quality. Players who tear up NIHL numbers wise who barely register an EIHL point. There’s no easy solution to this while hockey remains a minor sport in this country as there isn’t the revenue generated to provide enough investment. Realistically a good UK talent will benefit from learning trade in youth leagues in countries with proper hockey infrastructure.
Spot on.

The best bet for young Brits to develop is to go and play in youth systems abroad. Cardiff born Nathan walker played in the Czech youth system

tim78

In all fairness compared to the 90's when I started watching Ice hockey the entire GB team was Canadian. Though I'm not sure the quantity of quality brits have changed, but their speed due to the competitiveness defo has.

I think the only way this country will improve is more dual ice pad rinks in the bigger cities that can support the sport.
Look at Manchester 17,000 down to 1000 in attendance.

moggy#9

In all fairness compared to the 90's when I started watching Ice hockey the entire GB team was Canadian. Though I'm not sure the quantity of quality brits have changed, but their speed due to the competitiveness defo has.

I think the only way this country will improve is more dual ice pad rinks in the bigger cities that can support the sport.
Look at Manchester 17,000 down to 1000 in attendance.
You make a fair point about dual ice pads. The thing is that facilities need to be like a pyramid, with lots of small rinks to support development and general access, while arenas and other facilities support the top level. In North America, as well as outdoor rinks (where it's cold enough) you'll see rinks in inflatable bubbles and multi rink facilities (I once played in a place in Montreal with four rinks under the same roof).

John lawless once said that the hockey boom of the 80s was facility led. Any future boom will have to be about building.

On a slightly different topic, Kay burley had another segment on hockey today. This time about the Hershey Bears bear toss. Maybe after Omar Pacha schmoozing her she might be open to doing more on our sport.