Its a double

Koop11

Great news for me. I am away that week and was expecting to miss the opening home league game. Won’t be missing it now :D

Chris

Administrator
Newcastle Vipers have a home double header against Cardiff Devils to open the 2009-10 Elite League season, it has been confirmed.

The Devils have recruited Mark Smith and Max Birbraer to lead their forward lines, while one-time Vipers target Scott Romfo will patrol their blueline in front of returning home-grown goalie Stevie Lyle.

Birbraer played alongside returning Vipers forward Matus Petricko last season in Usk-Kamengorsk in the Russian second tier.

The much-changed Vipers lineup will have been together for more than two weeks by the time the regular season starts, and coach Rob Wilson wants his troops to “hit the ground running.”

“The guys are coming in in a couple of weeks, and we are on the ice every day, in the gym every day and working together off the ice on things like systems, special teams and the opposition,” he said.

“When we get to the Cardiff games we’ll have had our two exhibition games and two weeks on the ice so we’ll be as ready as we can be.

“The Cardiff games will be a great test for us and a benchmark on how our squad will match up with the rest of the League this season.”

The full League schedule will be released on Monday.

Fixture details: Saturday September 5 Vipers v Cardiff Devils 6.30pm. Sunday September 6 Vipers v Cardiff Devils 5.30pm. Both games are at Metro Radio Arena, and tickets will be available from the Vipers Office or online at VipersHockey.co.uk.
Incase people can't/won't click the link :)

The 2 games for that weekend are 1/6 of all Vipers fixtures at the MRA, I presume the other games might be a bit more spread out so we might get a chance to visit Whitley Bay!

I didn't know Vipers were after Romfo, looks like he chose the right team though :p

Chris.

:cry: Why...

We went up to newcastle last season, and it was an awful atmosphere. Debating whether just to wait for the next home game!! nice rink though.

Chris

Administrator
But think of all the anger we created in those 3 or 4 Vipers fans that were sat infront of us, doesn't the prospect of annoying them again by actually cheering on your team make you want to go up there? :D

Chris.

Bit of a crap way to start the season off... we have to wait one more week than anyone else before we get a home league game (I won't be going up to Newcastle).

El Supremo said:
Bit of a crap way to start the season off... we have to wait one more week than anyone else before we get a home league game (I won't be going up to Newcastle).
also it is a bit of an expensive start to the season..i am thinking about what to do.

Finny

El Supremo said:
Belfast are away for the first weekend. And Edinburgh are starting their season at the end of September by the sounds of it.

Anyway El - it is out of the hands of the club because our rink has already been booked for that weekend. Where would you suggest we play it?

CIA?
Cardiff City Stadium?
Millenium Stadium?

Oh gawd, I've gone and given him ideas now!!

Finny said:
El Supremo said:
Belfast are away for the first weekend. And Edinburgh are starting their season at the end of September by the sounds of it.

Anyway El - it is out of the hands of the club because our rink has already been booked for that weekend. Where would you suggest we play it?

CIA?
Cardiff City Stadium?
Millenium Stadium?

another idea would be to rent winter wonderland for a few weeks? :lol:

dave

Finny said:
El Supremo said:

CIA?
Cardiff City Stadium?
Millenium Stadium?

At least you did not suggest an outdoors game at the SWALEC!! About right number of seats for El's normal wants and needs... ;)

ASHIPP

For anyone interested in the other opening weekend matches, apparently, this is the schedule so far:

Panthers v Giants
Stingrays v Giants

Steelers v Blaze

Spatzy said:
also it is a bit of an expensive start to the season..i am thinking about what to do.
Same, £100 seems quite alot of money for a student, considering what your getting.
I think that I will give this one a miss, and put that money towards a season ticket :D

Although, I would actually fork out £160 to see the tournament in Edinburgh ;)

ASHIPP

Although there are negatives in having a double header as the first two matches, if I was able to go (work commitments :( ), I would. It would be a bonus for the Devils to see so much support up there.

Positives:
1. Get to see the Devils in their first competitive matches against a virtually changed Vipers side.

2. Get to visit a great city - at least it's not a trip to Coventry!

3. Bob's Tours! Packed bus, great atmosphere!

4. 2 away games compensated by 2 home games later on.

Negatives:
1. Would have hoped that the opening games/s would have been at home for the Team to get a sell-out.

2. The cost, especially for students and jobless - still a lot to pay when there will be more exciting double-headers coming up like Belfast and poss Sheffield.

3. There is a chance that the Devils first home game on Sat 12th could be against the Vipers AGAIN. Ok for those fans who didn't go to Newcastle but would have been great to have played another team.

:?