Is there one thing that would stop you supporting the Devils

TheStub

Re: Is there one thing that would stop you supporting the De

Depends what you mean by proper rink. The BBT is as wide as an NHL rink but about 4m shorter. An Olympic sized rink is bigger in all directions.

TheStub said:
Depends what you mean by proper rink. The BBT is as wide as an NHL rink but about 4m shorter. An Olympic sized rink is bigger in all directions.
The point is being missed here.
If we had an ice pad the same size as 'nearly' all of the other teams -
1. We could watch a more attractive spectacle.
2. We could compete on more equal terms. Regularly, when it comes to the latter stages of competitions, coaches asked to comment on the Devils' chances of winning invariably state that the 'big ice' will handicap the Devils. This is obvious given that we play all our 'home' matches and train on such a confined ice pad.......then have to play 'away' ( with one exception ) on the vast, open ice areas in rinks of near (within 1m ) Olympic / IIH dimensions.
Sheffield - 60/61m x 30m
Nottingham - 60/61m x 30m
Belfast - 60/61m x 30m
Edinburgh - 61m x 30m
Hull - 60/61m x 30m
Braehead - 60m x 30m
Fife - 59m x30m
Dundee - 61m x 30m

Coventry - 35m x 27.5m

Cardiff - 55m x 25.5m (I have my doubts whether it's really as big as this )

.... and it was evident how much easier it was to play attractive, free flowing ice hockey last Sunday in Coventry with the extra couple of metres on the width. With a new ice rink on the horizon we have the chance to compete with the others on a more equal footing. I cannot understand why so few supporters aren't voicing similar opinions. We should be emphasising the need for a 60/61m x 30m ice pad before building commences.
By the way, even dear old Basingstoke have such an ice pad !

TheStub

Personally I prefer the NHL sized rinks to the Olympic ones. We are NHL width - but I think we need the length.

I think it makes for more exciting hockey, whilst the extra length would give the skill guys the space to breathe.

Finny

Wasn't the WNIR a small ice pad too?

We never really had many problems there winning trophies.......

Gazza272

Finny said:
Wasn't the WNIR a small ice pad too?

We never really had many problems there winning trophies.......

Our trophy cabinet did start to dwindle thoguh once Belfast, Nottingham got olympic ice. Added into Sheffields also. I do think it handicaps us.

any new Arena has to make our ice surface bigger but also keep the physical element of the game.

TheStub said:
Personally I prefer the NHL sized rinks to the Olympic ones. We are NHL width - but I think we need the length.

I think it makes for more exciting hockey, whilst the extra length would give the skill guys the space to breathe.
Wrong !
Ever tried pushing your shopping trolley along the aisles in Tesco's on a busy Friday evening. It doesn't matter how 'long' the aisle is if you can't pass the two trolleys in front of you.....it's the width that counts.

Gazza272 said:
Finny said:
Wasn't the WNIR a small ice pad too?...........

but also keep the physical element of the game.
Disagree !
I do not believe the physical element of ice hockey would be diminished at all if the ice pad were bigger. Neither my experiences in watching the Devils throughout the country nor the statistics which might provide an insight into the degree of physicality ,show this remotely to be true. A review of game details ( see IH Update ) in matches played this season actually reveal a greater physical element in matches played on 'big ice' compared to the BBT !

Finny

How do games details on IH Update show whether a game is physical or not?????

Finny

But penalties doesn't show whether the game is physical or not.

Often on big ice, it is too open a game to play physical and so players then have to use other methods to slow the opposition down e.g. holding, hooking, tripping etc.

TheStub

Personally I like the narrower rink - and I can't be wrong because I know I like it.

Our rink is as wide as an NHL rink, and looks how poor the quality of hockey is in that league.

You're right, they need to change the rink sizes in the NHL or ice hockey will never take off over there!

Finny said:
But penalties doesn't show whether the game is physical or not.

Often on big ice, it is too open a game to play physical and so players then have to use other methods to slow the opposition down e.g. holding, hooking, tripping etc.
I did say might provide an into the degree of physicality......which I maintain it does.
The most common infringements in the BBT this year have been 'hooking' etc. This will never be more common on 'big'ice'. To 'hook', 'hold' and 'trip' you've got to get close to opponents.....far easier in the BBT.
As for the game being 'TOO OPEN'...well, the MORE OPEN, FASTER, SKILFUL THE BETTER, I say........and as for the BIG HITS....THE PHYSICAL PLAY.....it'll still be there in abundance.

Chris

Administrator

his will never be more common on 'big'ice'. To 'hook', 'hold' and 'trip' you've got to get close to opponents.....far easier in the BBT.
As for the game being 'TOO OPEN'...well, the MORE OPEN, FASTER, SKILFUL THE BETTER, I say........and as for the BIG HITS....THE PHYSICAL PLAY.....it'll still be there in abundance.
In one place you're saying hooking isn't more common on the big ice as the players can't get close enough...

Then in the next you're saying physical play will be exactly the same...

Chris :?