is our team good and has it improved

Thread starter #1
do you think there is an area that the curent team will particularly strong in? Or an improvement from last year?

powerplay has definatly gone backwards

Paul Sullivan

Detailed assessment of our strategies....

To me that just looks like a provocative way of generating controversy, but worded better than many of the 'sky is falling' posts we see after any given loss...

At this stage of the season I think our team is better than at the same date of last year's season.

Plus without even donning my 'happy hockey days' glasses, it was not so long ago that many fans were saying how they would be ecstatic simply to have a team at all, let alone the talented, competitive roster we have now

#ingwetrust

At the risk of sounding a little negative, and being fairly controversial... here are my views!

I think our team is fairly solid, however at present I think it is definitely a downgrade on last years team and we definitely seem to be missing something.

Maybe it's because last season we had a certain Calgary native living on our blue line?
Maybe it's because we've lost the spark that the man affectionately known as Sir Tylor brought to the team?
Maybe it's because all of the off ice issues are effecting the on-ice performances?
Or maybe it's just a slow start?

Who knows, but hopefully with a few little tweaks over the next couple of weeks, everything will come together!

Whilst it is unfair to compare our replacements with their predecessors I'm going to do it anyway.
Frank - Weller = Obviously Weller can not be replaced... and whilst we will miss his transition, Frank hasn't done a lot wrong in my eyes and seems to be very sensible when it comes to the fighting aspect of the game and still brings that intimadation factor to the table, much like Weller did. Still a downgrade though I'm afraid.
Dobben - Michel = I realise they play different positions, but he is the new import on the 3rd line so that's why I'm making the comparison. Definite downgrade here, but in fairness to him, he is replacing Sir Tylor who imo was way too good for the 3rd line anyway, As far as his performances are concearned, I'm still not sure about him - maybe because I'm forever making comparisons?.
Pierce - Pelle = Pierce seems to me to be a definite upgrade on Jon in both size and skill, I can't praise his performances enough of late. I think at the end of the season we'll see him above Pelle in the scoring charts!

Like I said, I don't think the team has improved as I think the downgrades of Tylor and Weller far outweigh the improvement on Pelle but I suppose we shall see how much that difference will make along with improvements to other teams as we get into the swing of things...

As a final note, I would like to just add that I do think G and Franny have done a fantastic job given the reported budget cuts, and I really do like the faith he is showing in the young british players.

Scott.