Interesting NHL article - Enforcers

zoesdevil

Rempel16

I completely agree that enforcers are required. I get that the speed/skill game is attractive to lots of fans, but I maintain that I've struggled to adapt. Enforcers brought an extra dimension and added character. When the likes of Voth / Campbell / Payette / Cornish were in the league there was always additional spice in games... It's also part of the reason why i'm not getting a season ticket this year. Previously I wouldn't miss a game for anything. Now I can take or leave it, sadly.

The return of the enforcer role would do a lot for the game that I fell in love with.

hip check

I completely agree that enforcers are required. I get that the speed/skill game is attractive to lots of fans, but I maintain that I've struggled to adapt. Enforcers brought an extra dimension and added character. When the likes of Voth / Campbell / Payette / Cornish were in the league there was always additional spice in games... It's also part of the reason why i'm not getting a season ticket this year. Previously I wouldn't miss a game for anything. Now I can take or leave it, sadly.

The return of the enforcer role would do a lot for the game that I fell in love with.
When I first got hooked on Hockey it wasn't because of the violence it was because of the whole experience, speed, physicality, atmosphere and the interaction with the players. It was a bit of a shock to the system to see 2 guys going at it, I played and watched rugby so rough stuff wasn't new to me but the whole experience of enforcer's doing there job was an eye opener.
I think the tough guys bring a lot to the game and very often they are crowd favourites (Voth, Ware, MacWilliam etc), also there was the guy from the 'other team' that we all hated.
Bringing back the enforcer's would bring back that edge to games and like the article states it could make the game safer from the real villain's who do the real dirty deeds and go largely unpunished.
Excellent article and makes a lot of sense of it all.