If.....

.....I win the EuroMillions tonight I promise to buy the club from Mr Ragan!

Driving home tonight I was thinking about what I would do if I came into millions and owned the club. What would you do?

Max

D

Deleted member 1337

Max Beerbarrell said:

Driving home tonight I was thinking about what I would do if I came into millions and owned the club. What would you do?

Max
soooo :?: :?: :?

steve

Buy the league, run it on a franchise basis with clubs competing on a level basis. Oh and probably create a London/south region and a liverpool/north Wales team (and get the Phoenix back in the top league).

elliswf said:
Max Beerbarrell said:

Max
You sound like you don't understand, I'll elaborate.

If you came into a tremendous sum of money such as tonight's Euro's. Would you buy the club? If so, how would you run it? The interest alone would be enough to run a succesful club but it wouldn't be sustainable for British hockey to just have a blank cheque book approach. So, how would you run the club?

Would you build the clubs own rink from your own pocket and create a sustainable business which would compete at the top? Would you plough money into youth development and create a system which continuously produces to talents (maybe even a full-time hockey academy)? Would you subsidise tickets to get fans through the door and make the sport more affordable for families?

Ok, the question is not even real, but it's the off-season and unless you're a Sheffield fan there doesn't seem alot to talk about!!

D

Deleted member 1337

Max Beerbarrell said:
elliswf said:
Max Beerbarrell said:

Max
You sound like you don't understand, I'll elaborate.

If you came into a tremendous sum of money such as tonight's Euro's. Would you buy the club? If so, how would you run it? The interest alone would be enough to run a succesful club but it wouldn't be sustainable for British hockey to just have a blank cheque book approach. So, how would you run the club?

Would you build the clubs own rink from your own pocket and create a sustainable business which would compete at the top? Would you plough money into youth development and create a system which continuously produces to talents (maybe even a full-time hockey academy)? Would you subsidise tickets to get fans through the door and make the sport more affordable for families?

Ok, the question is not even real, but it's the off-season and unless you're a Sheffield fan there doesn't seem alot to talk about!!
wouldnt every loyal fan do the same though

steve said:
Buy the league, run it on a franchise basis with clubs competing on a level basis. Oh and probably create a London/south region and a liverpool/north Wales team (and get the Phoenix back in the top league).
Do you know what, I never even thought of looking at investing in the league as a whole. Good idea! Developing sustainable clubs for each regions with each own regional full-time youth academies with top class facilities would be incredible. It would take time, but in years to come you'd of course see a totally improved Team GB reaping the benefits.

Like I said in another post, a complete pipe dream but I just wondered how others would do it.

Max

TheStub

But you'd need more than the Euromillions windfall... but I love the idea of sustainable franchise model with proper development.

steve

It's just not the British way to have a centrally owned business, but I honestly think it would work here. The issue would be (as it is for Canadian teams) over having to redistribute income from successful teams to lesser teams to develop them (Atlanta, Florida etc). If someone was rich enough though I guess it wouldn't matter.

I don't see the game here developing with so many different personal interests.

PCS

I lack the business acumen to be of any benefit to the club as an owner. I think I would just buy a small share and contribute purely by providing G with a ridiculous budget..

steve said:
It's just not the British way to have a centrally owned business, but I honestly think it would work here. The issue would be (as it is for Canadian teams) over having to redistribute income from successful teams to lesser teams to develop them (Atlanta, Florida etc). If someone was rich enough though I guess it wouldn't matter.

Isn't that the point right now though? We're getting to the point right now where the clubs need eachother (hence Cov taking over Hull, Notts at Braehead, Us and Sheffield). I really like your point about the centrally owned business and agree it would work here.

To make this even more unrealistic, imagine that with the academies becoming established and the introduction of a draft system too. Pipe dream!

What time's the draw tonight?! :lol:

TheStub

Re: Re: If.....

steve said:
Exactly. If Bob actually believed the stance he is now peddling, and had implemented those - the sport would be in better shape.

As long as owners are stupid enough to think they can splash cash on the ice and then turn a profit we are doomed.

A sustainable model for the country, with all levels working together is needed...

In would have an 11 import league with 12 teams.. Newcastle and Manchester back.. I would plough money into the smaller teams to bring them up to scratch, and would ask all owners to put out tough, skilled, exciting teams to watch on the ice..

I would also hope to increase gates at ever team in the league by dropping ticket prices, making the off ice entertainment better and improving facilities.. Then after a few years start to bring in a few more southern teams M.K, Guildford, Basingstoke and a team out of the Capital London..

TheStub

oneill said:
In would have an 11 import league with 12 teams.. Newcastle and Manchester back.. I would plough money into the smaller teams to bring them up to scratch, and would ask all owners to put out tough, skilled, exciting teams to watch on the ice..

I would also hope to increase gates at ever team in the league by dropping ticket prices, making the off ice entertainment better and improving facilities.. Then after a few years start to bring in a few more southern teams M.K, Guildford, Basingstoke and a team out of the Capital London..
I think in that model you would go bankrupt very quickly.

The sport wont have any credibility whilst the majority of players are imports. DROP the import limit down, and the quality of Brits will rise (spend the money you save on improving grass roots development - maybe build a few rinks in NI?) - and we can get the quality of the hockey people seem to want.

Currently I would characterise it as "not good enough to play professional hockey in North America or looking to retire" standard.

A

Anonymous

I would also hope to increase gates at ever team in the league by dropping ticket prices
people don't watch hockey in the UK because it's too dear. The sport needs more exposure, it needs to be rammed down peoples throats before they will take notice. Sad but true.

Bring it back to the (BBC) tv screens like in the good ol'days !

So that's what I would attempt to do. Try to get more people into the greatest sport alive, by any means possible! :p

Spread the word.

PS. If society can make people buy Take That records then anythings possible !!