If there is ever a time....

bb1

Thread starter #1
Going into the last 3 games of the season this is without doubt one of the best chances we have had in the EIHL to win the league.

Guys have looked tired as of late yet the likes of Kurka, Bownes, Hervato, Hendo, Haddad and Piggot have really stepped it up. A few others have surprisingly fell off the pace and have looked tired. Agree or disagree but these guys need to find a way to step it up over this next week. That's what Champions do.

Don't like to single guys out but Hotham, Lord and Salters have all looked slightly under par. Lord and Hotham have been awesome this year but lately have faded slightly.
If Salters shows up in the next two weeks and plays like we know he can then 'look out'! He can be unplayable. In fact if everyone shows up we are unbeatable.

This post may seem a little selfish as I really really want to see Lordo and the guys lift that league title and it will be heartbreaking to see us end up short. We have come a long way and Lordo, the team and fan base deserve this!

This group of guys can do this and really do deserve it...Its in our hands

GO DEVILS #1

JC23

I agree almost entirely with your post. Definitely seeing the same things as you. But, this weekend I feel Lordo played as one of our best guys. He may not have put up the goals that Martin, Mo, or Kurka did, but he was the one chasing every lost puck, playing the body when needed, and playing some sublime passes to set up the goals too.

He's come in for a lot of criticism on here recently, and given that I tend to watch him closely most games, I just don't see where it's come from.

As I said, I agree on the whole, Hotham has made costly mistakes far too often this year, but has backed it up with points which is why the majority of the fan base love him, personally, I'd rather sign a top forward for those points, and improve our game defensively. But that's just me.

As for Salters, I'm not sure what's been up with him this season, as we're not seeing the stuff he showed when playing in Braehead, although he has been one of our best guys at driving the net and screening the goalie along with Joey Haddad. I just feel too often he shirks out of making the big hits we all know he can do.

With that being said, the one player who always seems to finish his hits, is Piggsie. He's grown so much this year, not only in confidence it seems, but his skill set and size has improved implicitly. Massively impressed.

With this run in, would I change any of the guys on the team...? Hell no.

Ocko

It was said that Salters has been struggling with tendonitis in his knee most of the year. He seemed to be wincing a few times when he came off on Sunday so he's probably been playing injured.

Finny

Ocko said:
It was said that Salters has been struggling with tendonitis in his knee most of the year. He seemed to be wincing a few times when he came off on Sunday so he's probably been playing injured.
He was apparently deemed unfit to play on Saturday. I'm guessing he wouldn't have played Sunday either had it not been for Culligan's injury. He certainly seemed to be wincing at times when he came off the ice.

Kal

Finny said:
Ocko said:
He was apparently deemed unfit to play on Saturday. I'm guessing he wouldn't have played Sunday either had it not been for Culligan's injury. He certainly seemed to be wincing at times when he came off the ice.
He hasn't really taken the time it would normally take to recover from it and the fact that he's kept on playing with it means he's probably made it worse and will need surgery to fix it properly. All speculation of course, I'm sure people far more qualified than me are monitoring the situation. It shows that he's committed though if he's willing to play through the pain to help the team.

august04

Finny said:
Ocko said:
I've been critical of Salters at times this year but we need to cut him some slack now. He's clearly playing with an injury, which I assume is why he's been playing within himself for much of the season.

Sheincar

JC23 said:
I agree almost entirely with your post. Definitely seeing the same things as you. But, this weekend I feel Lordo played as one of our best guys. He may not have put up the goals that Martin, Mo, or Kurka did, but he was the one chasing every lost puck, playing the body when needed, and playing some sublime passes to set up the goals too.

He's come in for a lot of criticism on here recently, and given that I tend to watch him closely most games, I just don't see where it's come from.

As I said, I agree on the whole, Hotham has made costly mistakes far too often this year, but has backed it up with points which is why the majority of the fan base love him, personally, I'd rather sign a top forward for those points, and improve our game defensively. But that's just me.

As for Salters, I'm not sure what's been up with him this season, as we're not seeing the stuff he showed when playing in Braehead, although he has been one of our best guys at driving the net and screening the goalie along with Joey Haddad. I just feel too often he shirks out of making the big hits we all know he can do.

With that being said, the one player who always seems to finish his hits, is Piggsie. He's grown so much this year, not only in confidence it seems, but his skill set and size has improved implicitly. Massively impressed.

With this run in, would I change any of the guys on the team...? Hell no.
Believe me it's not just you. For me, he is that too offensive and consequently doesn't cover the D as he should. Plus he gives perfect passes to opposition players.

tim78

I've noticed Hotham isn't breaking forward as much as last season but This weekend pulled some good moves.

Hervato is definitely making more good breaks and finishing with some blinding shots, hopefully a few will come off over the next few weeks.

ps with Salters tendentious is any one close to asking if he's tried the supplements Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)?

We've been very close to an Elite League title 3 times before - the "Weller season" being the obvious one. I thought we had the best team in the league, but ended up without a trophy - 2 defeats to Dundee either side of our record winning streak ultimately proved costly. We probably would have won the title in 2007 but the delayed move to the BBT caused us to play away for the 1st 3 months of the season, and we lost out to Coventry by a few points. Last season was almost down to the wire. Let's hope it's 4th time lucky - the current squad overall must be the best we've had in the Elite era - a win in Belfast, and it's definitely on again.

I've been trying to find out the situation regarding regulation wins - the Elite League site didn't seem to list them, but according to the Blaze site it's currently 25 regulation wins each. Please win these last 3 games in regulation time - I'd hate to have a repeat of the 2011 finish.

Rich Best

This is our year. We have found form again at just the right time. The overtime win will have been a massive boost that will carry through (psychologically) to tonight I am sure. Let's get ahead and dominate the next 2 games then finish the job on Sunday. We need at least a few players each of these last 3 games to put in 'season best' performances, and we need bownsey to be solid as a rock.

Situations like this are why I love this sport so much! Thank you Devils.

youngbob

oldishDevil said:
I've been trying to find out the situation regarding regulation wins - the Elite League site didn't seem to list them, but according to the Blaze site it's currently 25 regulation wins each. Please win these last 3 games in regulation time - I'd hate to have a repeat of the 2011 finish.
I had wondered the same, and I recently found it, go to the STATS page, rather than STANDINGS

it's shown there for the league, but not the individual conferences

Have Hope#35

youngbob said:
oldishDevil said:
I had wondered the same, and I recently found it, go to the STATS page, rather than STANDINGS

it's shown there for the league, but not the individual conferences
Not that I want it to be this close but if we tie on Points and Regulation Wins we still edge it! We can therefore afford to Win one in OT and 2 in Regulation. Can't underestimate how difficult tonight is going to be though... Belfast will want revenge!

ASHIPP

I honestly hope the guys just go out there and play with the guts and confidence they demonstrated over the last two games. Disciplined, hard working without overthinking things.

Getting side-tracked by league permutations and what the opposition are up to, it just piles on more pressure. What will be, will be.

Mooney#16

One other issue yet to be seen whether it's a clanger or not is that all of a sudden in the last weekend of the season when the championship is on the line the league have got two Swedish officials coming in and they are doing Devils game in Manchester Saturday. Now it might be a non issue but generally by this stage of the year you have the referees scouted for what to expect. If they are just running the lines then fingers crossed no big impact but if one is reffing and as a complete unknown to the players this could yet again be an absolute league howler. Just seems like bizarre timing to do it.

Sheincar

Mooney#16 said:
One other issue yet to be seen whether it's a clanger or not is that all of a sudden in the last weekend of the season when the championship is on the line the league have got two Swedish officials coming in and they are doing Devils game in Manchester Saturday. Now it might be a non issue but generally by this stage of the year you have the referees scouted for what to expect. If they are just running the lines then fingers crossed no big impact but if one is reffing and as a complete unknown to the players this could yet again be an absolute league howler. Just seems like bizarre timing to do it.
Completely agree; had all season and then bring them in to do a title contender's game. :DWD

Lets Smash Storm and Panthers and get the party on! Pile the pressure on the Steelers! devastated we dropped the lead we had and it's brought us down to this final day pressure!