Ice Hockey Journalists UK (IHJUK) announce annual awards

Thread starter #1
IHJUK have announced the results of their awards. These are voted on by all members of IHJUK.
I'll post the full awards, but well done to the Devils who get a mention along with those who narrowly missed out.

Craig Weller has been named Player of the Year. Weller, Pelle and Matzka make the first All-Star line. Sam Smith is named the Best British Player U21 (The Vic Batchelder Memorial Award).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IHJUK
Weller and Richardson land top accolades
Cardiff Devils defenceman Craig Weller and Braehead Clan player-coach Bruce Richardson have been rewarded for outstanding seasons by being named Ice Hockey Journalists UK’s player and coach of the year respectively in the Elite League.
Weller, 30, a fifth-round draft pick by St Louis Blues in 2000, played 95 times in the National Hockey League, posting four goals, 10 assists and 127 penalty minutes during spells with Phoenix Coyotes and Minnesota Wild.
Weller has registered 49 points (15 goals and 34 assists) in 39 games for Devils, who he has helped mount an Elite League title push with Sheffield Steelers and Belfast Giants also in the hunt going into the final weekend of the regular season.
The Canadian said: “I am honoured to have won the award. It has been a great experience coming to play here and I have been impressed with the calibre of players in the league.
“We are involved in an exciting battle for the title which is fun and it is also great for the league.
“We have a highly-skilled team here in Cardiff, there are some great players and we all work very hard. It would be great if we can win the play-offs especially as the team has come so close in the past.”

Elite League All-Star First Team - Goaltender: Ervins Mustukovs (Sheffield); Defencemen: Craig Weller (Cardiff), Jon Gleed (Belfast); Forwards: Jon Pelle (Cardiff), Scott Matzka (Cardiff), Jereme Tendler (Hull).

Elite League All-Star Second Team - Goaltender: Stephen Murphy (Belfast); Defencemen: Jon Landry (Braehead), Corey Neilson (Nottingham); Forwards: Jeff Legue (Sheffield), Joey Talbot (Sheffield), Luke Fulghum (Coventry).

Best British Players

Netminder (Phil Drackett Memorial Award): Stephen Murphy (Belfast).

Defenceman (The Alan Weeks Trophy): Danny Meyers (Nottingham)

Forward: David Clarke (Nottingham).

U21 Young Player (The Vic Batchelder Memorial Award): Sam Smith (Cardiff).

Top British points-scorer (The Ice Hockey Annual Trophy): David Clarke (Nottingham).

Simmseys twitter account says: 'You wonder what games some of the ice hockey journalists watch some times - that's the problem - they dont'

Nice and unbiased as usual simmsey

We'll done to the boys. All seem like appropriate awards to me.

As for Simms... hold on, do the rules about personal attacks on The Inferno cover him?

Mark666 said:

As for Simms... hold on, do the rules about personal attacks on The Inferno cover him?
Wasn't a personal attack, just quoting the man himself, albeit with a small snide comment but no offence meant! :)

Finny

Rossboy19 said:
Simmseys twitter account says: 'You wonder what games some of the ice hockey journalists watch some times - that's the problem - they dont'

He's quite right though. There is no way Mustukovs should be in the all star team ahead of Jaeger or Kowalski.
;)

DevilDom

Rossboy19 said:

Maybe they only watched our 7-1 demolition of the steelers? or perhaps it was all our home games against the steelers where we were unbeaten in regulation time? or perhaps they only watched the period when we won 22 on the bounce? or our 2 sky games when we won 12-0 at home to the rays and 5-1 away to Blaze?

It's no wonder so many people involved in UK Hockey dislike him and the steelers. The guy has no class and should not be commenting on what is supposed to be an impartial highlights program. Imagine if Alan Hanson or Lee Dixon were as biased as him on MOTD? The guy is a joke.

ASHIPP

Rossboy19 said:

Like Simms's opinion ever counted for anything. :lol: He's sulking and bitter because not enough Steelers players were nominated. :roll:

Whilst I completely agree with the goalie comments, I like to think Simmsy was referring to Neilson being in the second All-star team, because I will guarantee he is in no way one of the four best Defence-men in this league, this season or likely any since Oxford and Cambridge had their first ever match!
So in my opinion that would be a spot on comment from Simmsy regarding that matter, though how Jaeger and K-Wall aren't the two goalies I have no idea, Jaeger is the only real reason Coventry have survived with their barely upgraded team (has to have been upgraded as Campbell left), and K-Wall is much the same for Nottingham, though that may be more to do with SexyNeilsonHockey!!!!!!!!!!

ASHIPP

Vic said:
IHJUK have announced the results of their awards. These are voted on by all members of IHJUK.
I'll post the full awards, but well done to the Devils who get a mention along with those who narrowly missed out.

Craig Weller has been named Player of the Year. Weller, Pelle and Matzka make the first All-Star line. Sam Smith is named the Best British Player U21 (The Vic Batchelder Memorial Award).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elite League All-Star First Team - Goaltender: Ervins Mustukovs (Sheffield); Defencemen: Craig Weller (Cardiff), Jon Gleed (Belfast); Forwards: Jon Pelle (Cardiff), Scott Matzka (Cardiff), Jereme Tendler (Hull).

Best British Players

Netminder (Phil Drackett Memorial Award): Stephen Murphy (Belfast).

Forward: David Clarke (Nottingham).

U21 Young Player (The Vic Batchelder Memorial Award): Sam Smith (Cardiff).

Top British points-scorer (The Ice Hockey Annual Trophy): David Clarke (Nottingham).

Fantastic achievement, guys. :D Congratulations and great to see your skills being recognised. :cool:

Rossboy19 said:
Mark666 said:

Wasn't a personal attack, just quoting the man himself, albeit with a small snide comment but no offence meant! :)
I wasn't accusing you of making a personal attack. I was about to launch one of my own! :D
Do those grapes taste funny, Dave?

Mark666 said:
Rossboy19 said:
Mark666 said:

I wasn't accusing you of making a personal attack. I was about to launch one of my own! :D
Do those grapes taste funny, Dave?
You were beaten to it by devildom's excellent tirade above, nothing like a good rant ay :d

Skippy

Um really ??

Forward: David Clarke (Nottingham)

Well done to Craig and Sam :D

DevilDom

Rossboy19 said:
You were beaten to it by devildom's excellent tirade above, nothing like a good rant ay :d
Nothing like a good rant to clear the head! :lol:

I think I must be feeling the pressure of the weekend games already and the possible 16 hour round trip to edinburgh on Sunday. Jesus I hope I have to make that trip. :twisted:

wildthing74

Does Simms actually watch other teams?That all star team picks itself and I got to say that Muskatovs wouldn't be my goalie.Okay he had shut outs against teams like Dundee when they were a joke but Jaeger and K Wall are far better goalies.
I went with the same team when I picked my all stars on the other thread apart from having Jaeger and it was a toss up over Gleed or Landry.
The guy winds me up so much as he can't very see past Steelers and never has done.How about Jono for top brit eh Simmsey even though he missed half the year and scored 1 goal since he came back?Maybe Jason Hewitt should be an all star along with Derek Campbell?
You like to make out you know it all,tell me who doesn't deserve their recognition and who you would say does?You read these forums so come on and tell us how they are wrong.

As much as I dislike Simms, I really don't think he was commenting on any of our players. I think it's obvious to most he was claiming that some people in the all star line up shouldn't have been there as opposed to some people (Steelers) who wernt in the list and should have been.

kettdevil1

Particularly pleased for Sam - a great achievement.

If I remember rightly, the winner of this award used to get invited to a Calgary training camp - shame it doesn't happen now.