I think we can win the league

Finny

Ignoring what is possibly one of the most bizarre outbursts ever on The Inferno, I too think it is a bit too early to say whether we can win the league.

What I can say, is that at the moment I see nothing from any other roster so far that makes me think we can't at least challenge. If the rumours over our final 2 import places are correct - then I think we will be challenge - unless 1 or 2 teams suddenly pull out massive signings we didn't see coming.

Last year I created/made up this calculation to try and predict where each team would finish - based on their initial signings. It predicted:

1. Sheffield (2.03)
2. Coventry (1.86)
3. Nottingham (1.46)
4. Cardiff (1.03)
5. Belfast (0.94)
6. Newcastle (0.94)
7. Manchester (0.64)
8. Basingstoke (0)
9. Edinburgh (0)
10. Hull (-0.79)

Which was a pretty good prediction in the end. The number in brackets is the pointscore it calculated. If we signed Miller and King we would have a score of 2.30, and though I think most teams score will also increase - it suggests we will be competing with the best.

E.D.S.

As it seems we're playing top trumps with who's supported the team the longest, I've been watching since 87. Where does that put me in the pecking order?!! :D

Finny - great stats and and interesting post.

Do I think we can win the league?.....I think that every year but the reality is we wont. We didn't win it with Smith and Max before and we wont win it this year (admittedly the shape of the team looks better this time around). I agree with the excellent post from earlier that referenced the arenas and larger ice pads. We do and have always struggled on these and I don't see that changing.
I'd love us to break into the top 3. That would be further progress made under Mr Burge and G and as long as we keep taking steps forward then I don't think we'll have too much to complain about and we wont have to wait too much longer for some success but I don't think a championship is within our grasp this year.

A top three finish and a good show at the playoff weekend and may be one of the Dog and Duck trophies that just seem to be an inconvenience (e.g. Knockout cup/Oktoberfest or whatever it is this year) and I'll be happy.

Pleximan

S666DEU said:
I know its a bold statement, but looking at the other teams rosters so far, i really think we have got a good chance of winning the league. as long as all the rumours are true with the remaining signings and we dont get any serious injuries, or maybe i'm just nut's, what does everyone else think??? :twisted:
Mmmmmm!

Whereas I do agree that this Devils team is looking very decent so far, I would be very wary about getting too excited with thoughts of winning the league.
It does look a very good roster so far, but I remember the last time I got really excited about a Devils team ahead of the start of a season was the Superleague season of 2000-01 where we signed the likes of Denis Chasse, Steve Moria, Rick Kowalsky, Mike Ware, Alan Schuler, John Parco, Dwight Parrish, Clayton Norris, Ian McIntyre, Frank Evans, Kim Ahlroos, Vezio Sacratini, Ivan Matulik, Steve Thornton, Kip Noble, Jamie Hanlon, Derek Herlofsky..........that was a pretty impressive group at the time, that was later in the season joined by the likes of Marco Poulsen, Travis Brigley and then Ales Zima. We looked 'almost' safe money for the league championship!
But.......it didn't happen. We came runners-up to Sheffield who themselves didn't have anything like the Devils team on paper, but they played as a team grinding out the W's one after another in boring machine-like fashion. So any championship title has to be worked for, which brings me to my next point.

Every championship team gets off to a flying start, gets the winning mentality ingrained in them right from the start, keeps going, does not relent, and by the end of October, they have built a healthy lead at the top of the table and already look champions elect. That does not guarantee the championship, but it certainly instills huge confidence throughout the roster, and the belief that they will win before every game they play.
This is something that I have simply not seen in a Devils team since we won the inaugural Superleague in 1996/97 with Ken Hodge quarterbacking the offense.

It has been mentioned that our home ice will be crucial for winning consistently, and of course that is true. With a change of direction from the big hitting tough defense to a more balanced D, this Devils team will be a more free skating and 'hopefully' puck controlling team, and that is how they will have to beat the opposition. Coventry, Sheffield, Belfast and Nottingham have all enjoyed far too many wins in our building over the last few years, and this Devils team will have to play consistently strong at home with breathtakingly quick hockey that will leave those opponents not too confident about their chances of winning on their next return to Cardiff after heading back up the M50 with a defeat.

For me, the signing of the 1st line right winger to play with Smith and Birbraer will go a long way to answering the question as to our title credentials. Whoever he is (and I am just a little fed up of seeing names being bandied around on this forum) has to be able to contribute not only with a healthy points return, but he has to skate with Mark and Max, be able to battle it out in the corners, and be more than capable of showing up when dropping the gloves to opposing agitaters.
I am very confident Gerad will sign the right guy, and if he is top quality, then maybe, just maybe, we will be able to genuinely control the puck on that first line.
That will be the platform for mounting a series of wins right from the start of the league campaign.
Coventry and Sheffield can do this, and it is vital that the Devils do it from the drop of the first puck to have any realistic shot at the title. Historically, any team suffering a stuttering start will not go on to win the league.

If they can get off to a great start out of the blocks with a winning run, then I will feel more confident about the season. But the Devils just do not do this and end up playing catch-up when it is all too late.
This Devils team is shaping up very nicely though, but will they be good enough and consistent enough to beat a boring and grindingly dull Sheffield team this coming season?

The season of 2000-01 serves as a reminder that winning championships takes a team to come together and work hard for each other every shift to earn those W's!

Finny

Pleximan said:
We came runners-up to Sheffield who themselves didn't have anything like the Devils team on paper, but they played as a team grinding out the W's one after another in boring machine-like fashion. So any championship title has to be worked for, which brings me to my next point.
Whilst I do agree with a lot you say, and don't think we should be expecting league success this season - I disagree with your comment about the Steelers Grand Sham team.

From what I can remember, big things were expected from the Steelers before the season had started. They had just been taken over by Darren Brown and the cash was being splashed. That season they brought in Kent Simpson, Paul Beraldo, Warren Norris, Scott Metcalf, Jeff Sebastian, Brent Bobyck, Mike O'Neill and Mike Torchia - who had all played either in the NHL or for Team Canada.
I don't remember ever thinking "We are definately going to win the league this year". I do remember being very excited by the new signings - although part of that was down to the fact we had had such an awful season the previous year.

Do I expect us to win the league? No
Do I think we will win the league? No
Do I think we have a chance of winning the league? YES!

I'm not sure whether we will win the league and at this point I don't care. I do, however, think that we will be challenging for the title and be playing a fast exciting brand of hockey.

I enjoy seeing my team win championships, but at the end of the season I just think "I had fun watching the Devils this season, would winning the title have made my life any better? ... Probably not". I try to enjoy my summer and look forward to what the next season will bring.

Finny

In addition to my previous post (and I apologise to anyone this is boring) - my system also worked out how many goals each team would score in the league. And it turned out to be pretty close:

Belfast: 226 (216)
Coventry: 222 (228)
Nottingham: 214 (226)
Sheffield: 204 (201)
Manchester: 183 (198)
Newcastle: 159 (147)
Cardiff: 150 (174)
Edinburgh: 148 (179)
Hull: 133 (154)
Basingstoke: 132 (131)

The numbers in brackets are what they actually scored.

So far, these are the current predictions based on who the team has signed (with the number of forwards remaining to be signed in the brackets)

Coventry: 237 (0)
Nottingham: 200 (1)
Cardiff: 189 (2)
Belfast: 167 (2)
Sheffield: 161 (2)
Hull: 157 (2)
Newcastle: 141 (2)

Edinburgh - no point working out.

I could be way out, but we are looking good and if we were to sign Miller and King (or two players of that standard) then I think we would be looking at around the same number as Coventry.

matt1986 said:
I'm not sure whether we will win the league and at this point I don't care. I do, however, think that we will be challenging for the title and be playing a fast exciting brand of hockey.

I enjoy seeing my team win championships, but at the end of the season I just think "I had fun watching the Devils this season, would winning the title have made my life any better? ... Probably not". I try to enjoy my summer and look forward to what the next season will bring.
I would love the Devs to win a league title again the long wait since the last one has been painfull, :)

Great posts from Pleximan and Finny!

I remember that season Pleximan refers too as well and I rememeber thinking it was between Sheffield and us. We signed an amazing team, but there were also issues brewing in Cardiff that year and I think Sheffield were more stable (although that didnt last either) and feel that also went somw way to explain why they won.

I'm convinced that with a solid organisation and a more reasonable year on the injury front we certainly have a shot at the league for the first time in years, I currently have us ranked in the top 3 there are still signings to come, it could looke very diferent yet when the league starts.

and stragely enough I was so hot last night and ended up trying to work out how many goals we would score during the season and I came up with 185 as we are and 230 ish if the signings end up as per the rumours.

yes but we got a make sure we win the big games and not drop points when we play the smaller teams,

and allso not lose our1st 4 games of the season

and finaly win at the NIC

TheStub

I feel better reading these posts - my geek is diminished next to you guys :lol:

I have to be honest, although I think we will be challenging for honers - it doesn't matter to me.

I think I've posted before, I would rather have a good match every week and us loose than see a boring team win every game.

Don't get me wrong, I would love us to win everything - but it has to be entertaining. Exciting, fast games is what will bring the fans in, with a win just being icing really.

Looking down the league signing, the one thing I'm a little excited about is a revived Hull. Even if they win less than last season (and I doubt they will) they will be more exciting to watch. I may start going regularly, if the product is worth watching.

Mind you, I will hopefully be living back in Wales by Christmas - so Devils every week then :D :D

Looking through the rumours thread if we can complete the roster with those players rumoured then yes we would have a team capable of winning the league or at least coming very close to winning it. :D
Unfortunately it not just about having the best roster theres loads of other things to think about.

How will the referees interpret the rules this season. might depend on what the steelers roster looks like come september. Steelers had a huge influence on the league last year with disciplinary issues etc and will probably be the same old this year.
Can we get all the players in on time and earlier if possible. We cannot go into the season under prepared. You never see it with the top 4 and if we want to compete with them we have to have everthing in place by the time the 1st puck drops. Was talking to a friend of mine a couple of weeks back, he said you cant win the league in September but you can certainly lose it. I have been a bit peeved the last couple of seasons being told after poor starts that we are traditionally slow starters or we have a playoff team not a championship one.
Injuries- surely we cant have another season where they play such a big part.
Coaching- for example DM and PT have won titles and will know what it takes.

Really hope that this time next year we can look back at a championship winning season, but hand on heart I dont think we will win it :(
Going to be interesting all the same, cant wait for the season to start.

Lets be fair though, 2 of the so-called big 4 have lost quality Brits to overseas team's, doesn't that put us on a bit more level playing field at a stab at winning the title? could be our year. I'm a bit miffed at some of the comments on here, people saying that they don't care if we don't win the league as long as we see a good game of hockey and maybe win another trophy. There is only one trophy i really want to see the Devils win and thats the league title, any of the others would be a bonus.

Like I said before, I would love it if the Devils won the championship, of course I would. That would be the trophy I would want to win most of all.

But if we did, I can't say it would have any major influence on my life. Likewise if we didn't, I wouldn't contemplate suicide.

ASHIPP

Finny said:
Ignoring what is possibly one of the most bizarre outbursts ever on The Inferno, I too think it is a bit too early to say whether we can win the league.

What I can say, is that at the moment I see nothing from any other roster so far that makes me think we can't at least challenge. If the rumours over our final 2 import places are correct - then I think we will be challenge - unless 1 or 2 teams suddenly pull out massive signings we didn't see coming.

Last year I created/made up this calculation to try and predict where each team would finish - based on their initial signings. It predicted:

1. Sheffield (2.03)
2. Coventry (1.86)
3. Nottingham (1.46)
4. Cardiff (1.03)
5. Belfast (0.94)
6. Newcastle (0.94)
7. Manchester (0.64)
8. Basingstoke (0)
9. Edinburgh (0)
10. Hull (-0.79)

Which was a pretty good prediction in the end. The number in brackets is the pointscore it calculated. If we signed Miller and King we would have a score of 2.30, and though I think most teams score will also increase - it suggests we will be competing with the best.
Finny - now more teams have added to their rosters, are you in a position now to rework your magic on these calculations? :cool: Would be really interesting to see. Oh Wizard of the League Predictor, please tell us of future happenings! :lol: