Hull saved?

Rempel16

Thread starter #1
Nemesis on Steeltalk reported last night that Hull are safe and it is due to be confirmed today.

Not sure what to make of this. As much as i'd like to have 10 teams in the league, and I also wouldn't want fans to not have hockey, Hull have already lost Suderman to Dundee and were only going to ice 10 imports.

I just can't see them being competitive at all (or entertaining)

ASHIPP

Fantastic news for Hull if this is confirmed. Will it definitely be Elite League level the club will be playing at? And, if so,what about game re-scheduling? It's getting confusing. :?

Rempel16 said:
Nemesis on Steeltalk reported last night that Hull are safe and it is due to be confirmed today.

Not sure what to make of this. As much as i'd like to have 10 teams in the league, and I also wouldn't want fans to not have hockey, Hull have already lost Suderman to Dundee and were only going to ice 10 imports.

I thought Hull had a decent roster before their demise so if they do stay alive and losing 1 player is all they have to contend with im sure they can replace him and still be a good side. Simple answer then to your worries... just avoid going to Hull games while the rest of us go along and enjoy ourselves

Rempel16

Thread starter #5
fanta80 said:
Rempel16 said:

I thought Hull had a decent roster before their demise so if they do stay alive and losing 1 player is all they have to contend with im sure they can replace him and still be a good side. Simple answer then to your worries... just avoid going to Hull games while the rest of us go along and enjoy ourselves
Where did I say I was worried?

They were going to have just 10 imports. As the team that finished rock-bottom last year, surely they need to improve their roster to improve their standing? They haven't improved anywhere, and are at least 1 import behind everyone else.

Incidentally, I don't think I would enjoy a Hull - Coventry game to be honest.
Thommo's teams, whilst well drilled and hard working aren't always the prettiest or most exciting to watch. Absolutely nothing like Matsos teams though in fairness.

Rempel16

Thread starter #6
ASHIPP said:
Fantastic news for Hull if this is confirmed. Will it definitely be Elite League level the club will be playing at? And, if so,what about game re-scheduling? It's getting confusing. :?
Nemesis believes it is the Elite league. Not sure what will happen to the fixture. The Devils confirmed that September dates are definite and there's talk that Hull won't start until October so they may just go ahead with re-arranging everything

ASHIPP

Rempel16 said:
ASHIPP said:
Nemesis believes it is the Elite league. Not sure what will happen to the fixture. The Devils confirmed that September dates are definite and there's talk that Hull won't start until October so they may just go ahead with re-arranging everything
Thanks, Remps. Wonder if it's possible that some of original scheduling for the Elite League and CC matches later in the season might stay in place after all? :?
Is it Hull's intention to start with 10 imports, and bring in another later?
Clan fans seem to think their club is interested in signing Jason Silverthorn.

Rempel16

Thread starter #8
I guess a few fixtures will need changing here and there but the bulk could potentially remain the same.

The Packs said at a fons forum in May (i think) that they would only play the season with 10 imports. I'm not sure if anything will happen to change that but I guess if the new owner has deep pockets he/she maybe willing to spend a bit more.

It's really difficult with such low average attendances.

Was chatting to a fellow Devils fan about this and personally I think that for the league to be sustainable, clubs need to have a good marketing model in place.

Now Neil Black has been rumoured to be the frontman to the Clan, as well as allegedly bailing the Packs out last season for Hull. I personally think that rather than providing cash handouts to the lesser clubs, perhaps employing a marketing person for each would gain more reward in the long-term.

Nottingham city centre is filled with Panthers adverts and if other cities can follow suit then pehaps attendances can rise all over.

ASHIPP

Nail on head! The value of strong marketing is priceless. Keeps the brand in people's minds and subliminally 'converts' others who are curious.

Our club also has benefitted from more dynamic marketing over recent year's - volume and quality. A club's core is the team, but it has to be marketed as a brand/run like a business to generate revenue through reliable investors/sponsors and increasing public interest. Teams run without that kind of infrastructure will just not be sustainable.
Good luck to the Stingrays - hopefully they will work out someway of increasing their gate receipts.

DevilDom

Has this been confirmed anywhere official yet or is it just a rumour?

Would be great if they are saved. Mind you, the fixture getting changed again would be very confusing. :?

From BIH Twitter

BREAKING NEWS: BIH understands that Hull players contracted for 10/11 have been told there will be a team in the EIHL this season.

BREAKING NEWS: BIH also understands that Sylvain Cloutier will continue as player-coach of the Hull Stingrays.

BREAKING NEWS: BIH also understands that replacements are needed for Suderman, Archer, Esders and Read who have all signed elsewhere.

also

Hull have been included in Coventry's fixtures for Sept??

From THF

Finny

samidevils said:
Hull have been included in Coventry's fixtures for Sept??
No, the one game they were supposed to play in Hull has been removed.
It's looking very likely that Hull will now start in October and will be run by the Coventry Blaze management.
If anybody can make Hull succesful they've got as good a chance as anyone.

samidevils said:
Good for the Hull fans if true but at this rate I'm going to need a new 2010 diary!!!

Fixtures I guess would revert back to the originals?

Ha! I wouldnt count on it! This is the EIHL remember and the arena teams have already had their fingers in the pies!

Fab news if they are saved though.

And can I just make a comment on how people judge Hull's teams too easily. Over the past few years, I've seen and heard how people sl@g Hull off, calling them unentertaining, boring, and without talent. I've had the pleasure of being able to see Hull play fairly frequently over the past couple of seasons and I dont agree with these views at all.

Those people who claim them to be boring, have not actually seen them play IN THEIR OWN RINK.

I have often found the Devils to appear boring, looking tired and worn out, at several away matches. Yet they are usually full of enthusiasm with the home crowds behind them in the Bay. Just remember that its the same for all teams. Edinburgh similarly. People reckon they are boring too... far from it.

For those judgemental people - try and see the teams in their own rinks. Stop jumping to conclusions about their style of playing just because your mate told you, or because of rumours that have filtered through the forums.

If you genuinely enjoy hockey, you'll have an appreciation for teams like Hull, who, I found were VERY entertaining last season and WERE a challenge when they had their heads screwed on (which is about as often as the Devils have their heads screwed on :roll: ). Dont think Hull are an easy ride. Its not always the case.

osh

Sorry to disagree Clare, but I am one of the so called judgemental people you refer to.

I saw Hull 6 times on their own ice last year and they were pretty boring and lifeless in 5 of the 6 games ( I didn't have to listen to what a mate might have thought, they won 2 and lost 4) However, as the main issue here is about the welfare of the club, I will be delighted to see them retain EIHL status and hope they get through this difficult period, good luck to them and their supporters for the season.

Fair play then. If you've watched them at home and away more than once and believe that in your opinion and your expectations that they are boring, then I have no ball ache with you. You have made your choice upon evidence, which is what my argument was for.

Its the people who never watch any away games who complain about one thing or another but dont know the facts.

Hull, I found, last season, had a few tough guys and a couple of real talented players. When they had their heads down, you could see the potential in them, but they often let it slip at some point, resulting in a loss for them. When they played as a team, they were a real challenge. I once saw them absolutely wipe the floor with the Devils for two whole periods.. didnt think they were going to get it back, but Hull let up, lost themselves and the Devils knuckled down. Hull ended up losing. Just because the stats say so, doesnt mean they're a crap team.

I've often heard/seen people who have, self admittedly, never seen Hull play in their own rink. I dont quite see how their opinion on the matter is therefore valid.

However, rant ends. I'm not picking fights, just food for thought before people open their gobs again this season about Hull being an "easy" fight for the first few weeks. Never underestimate a team... Hull, Edinburgh and I'm sure Dundee and Braehead, will all give as much as any other team.. and by gum, they certainly know how to play mind games with some opposition players!!! :lol:

They managed to get in and stay in the ELITE League for years... so they have to be of a certain level!! Lets hope that other people think the same and that for that reason, they are worth saving.

Mind you.. if they do get saved, I hope they have a publicity drive to get some more fans. The pumping of pre-recorded clapping and cheering through the PA is a poor effort!!!

osh

Clare, some fair points in your post. However, I am assuming your comment where you have inserted --- followed by a k is meant to disguise a swear word ? If so, why do you do it ? If I have interpreted this incorrectly, please accept my apology.